Menu

Share your favorite potluck main meal, pretty please

I've been assigned a main dish, and my usual go-to potluck foods won't work for this situation. Including travel and meeting time, I need to bring something that can safely "hang out" for a couple of hours. I have an insulated bag that's supposed to keep food hot (or cold) longer, which should help.

If you've got an idea or recipe for me, I'm all ears! :bigear:

The last couple of years I've always brought "pizza lasagna." Super easy, always popular, and hangs out well. Can be reheated at the last. And it's a very flexible recipe in terms of ingredients.

Layer meat sauce (of whatever sort), cooked egg noodles, olives, peppers, pepperoni (whatever your favorite pizza toppings are), and top with tons of cheese. Make as many layers as you have room for in the dish. Since everything's already cooked, you can throw it in the oven for half an hour or so just to heat it up and melt the cheese; then wrap it in foil, and stuff it in your insulated bag.

Have fun!

the last couple of years i've always brought "pizza lasagna." super easy, always popular, and hangs out well. Can be reheated at the last. And it's a very flexible recipe in terms of ingredients.

Layer meat sauce (of whatever sort), cooked egg noodles, olives, peppers, pepperoni (whatever your favorite pizza toppings are), and top with tons of cheese. Make as many layers as you have room for in the dish. Since everything's already cooked, you can throw it in the oven for half an hour or so just to heat it up and melt the cheese; then wrap it in foil, and stuff it in your insulated bag.

Have fun!

this sounds so very good!!!!

BBQ meatballs and dinner rolls. I take them to a monthly church get together and they never fail to get gobbled up right away. I buy a bag of meatballs at cosco because they are firm, defrost in the microwave, pour on a bottle of BBQ, mix and heat through. They then go in a crockpot set at low, but I've taken them in insulated containers too I just heat them to a higher temp before putting them in the container.

This can be eaten hot or cold. Keeps well for a week or so. I don't mix the sprouts in with the finished dish. Instead, serve them with it and let everyone add their own so the sprouts are still crunchy and fresh. Also, I don't usually bother with the tofu. And if I do tofu, I slice it, place it on a plate, squirt a little Bragg's on it, and zap it in the microwave until it's how I want it. I also double the whole thing for a crowd. It goes quickly.

THAI NOODLES

12-14 ounces linguini (broken in half)

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup natural peanut butter, creamy

1/4 cup soy sauce

3 tablespoons rice vinegar

1-2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (see hints)

¼ teaspoon sesame oil (optional-see hints)

3 tablespoons vegetable broth

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 ½ cups mung bean sprouts

1 ½ cups shredded carrots

7 ounces baked seasoned tofu, thinly sliced (optiona)

chopped cilantro

chopped peanuts (optional)

Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine the honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and the sesame oil in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside. Place the broth in a non-stick frying pan with the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Add the sauce, mix well and heat through. Pour over the noodles and toss well to mix. Add the bean sprouts, carrots and tofu and toss again to mix. Serve warm or at room temperature. Let each person add chopped cilantro and/or chopped peanuts, if desired.

Hints: Rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce may be found in most supermarkets in the oriental section. One brand of chili-garlic sauce is made by Huy Fong Foods. It is quite spicy, so you may need to adjust the amount used according to your tastes. I use a small amount of sesame oil in this recipe for the unique taste it adds to foods. It may be omitted, if desired. This dish keeps well in the refrigerator and may also be served cold. This is great to fix on those busy evenings when everyone is eating at different times because it tastes best at room temperature.

Mexican Lasagna

2lbs ground beef (or turkey if you prefer), browned and seasoned with taco seasoning

1 lb shredded cheddar (or whatever cheddar blend you like)

1 24 oz jar of salsa

sour cream (or, if you're worried about dairy sitting out, you can use cheese sauce from a jar or can)

corn tortillas

Layer a 9 x 13 pan with corn tortillas. I cut them in half to ensure decent coverage. Then, layer with half the meat, 1/3 the salsa, plop six dollops of sour cream (or cheese sauce/dip) and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheddar, then layer it all over again. Top with a layer of corn tortillas, the last 1/3 of the salsa and the last 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Bake until melted and bubbly. Garnish with diced green onions and black olives, if desired.

This always goes over well at potlucks. I used mild salsa, then provide a bottle of hot sauce for those who want to kick it up.

I made the Thai noodles this morning--yum! They are really delicious. :001_smile: I'm extra happy because I know at least one family that will be there is vegan, and it's nice to bring something they can enjoy too.

I'm glad you liked them. I can't take credit for the recipe and I forgot to include the source. It came from drmcdougall.com. Thanks again. :001_smile: