Menu

Where should this clause go?

I was going over DS's writing assignment. One of the requirements was to include a "who/which" clause. He added the required clause to the end of his first sentence. I was explaining that it should go next to that which it is defining and be offset by commas. My husband, who was in the room, disagreed. He said he would have written it the same way DS wrote it because it obvious what it was referring to.

I want to know what the hive says even though I let it go. DS is writing his final draft his/DH's way.

Here's the sentence:

In the eighteenth century, Russia was the largest nation on earth, which spread from Europe on the west to the Pacific Ocean in the east.
To me, it appears that the earth spreads from Europe to the Pacific Ocean. I explained that the which clause would work better if placed after the word Russia, since it was defining Russia.

To me, it appears that the earth spreads from Europe to the Pacific Ocean. I explained that the which clause would work better if placed after the word Russia, since it was defining Russia.

You are absolutely, 100% correct. I wouldn't let that slide - if that becomes a habit, it'll be hard to fix later.

You are absolutely, 100% correct. I wouldn't let that slide - if that becomes a habit, it'll be hard to fix later.

I was 99% sure that where I wanted the clause was better. What I wasn't sure about was whether DS's and DH's way was okay.

I won't let it become a habit but I won't fix it this time. It isn't worth getting into an argument with DH about when I can quietly fix it on future assignments or next year when DS's grammar will cover appositive phrases.

and here is an explanation that might be easier to teach.

The phrase as a whole is acting as an adjective. Because of this, it needs to be immediately before or after the noun or pronoun it modifies, unless and only unless it is a predicate adjective, in which case it would follow a linking verb and define the subject noun or subject pronoun.

If the phrase were acting as an adverb, it could be just about anywhere in the sentence, but adjectives must follow the above rules.