Menu

I need a new iron--any advice? Do you really get more if you pay more?

I do a lot of ironing (but I don't use steam all of the time). I've never used one with a stainless steel plate--are these better? worse? I'm looking closely at a Shark Rapido, but wondering if I should just go with good ol' Rowenta? I don't really want to pay a lot for one unless it's really worth it. Do you really get a better iron if you pay more? Anyone care to share your favorite irons? or your least favorite?

:bigear:

Thanks guys! Wow, I didn't know you could spend $200 on a Shark. Does anyone else care to chime in?

I took a moment to locate our Shark and look at it -- there is nothing printed on it except SHARK -- it is an iron connected to a steam chamber platform thingy -- we first saw that a friend from the UK had one and we tried hers. DH was enamored of it instantly -- it actually cuts ironing time as one does not have to go back and forth over the same section of fabric - once over and the wrinkles are gone. I don't intend ever to have to buy another iron again - of course, that was probably the kiss of death.

I don't intend ever to have to buy another iron again - of course, that was probably the kiss of death.

Haha, I hope not! Yeah, my current iron decided to all but retire the morning after I did our taxes, and the items seem to be adding to the list... We joke that you shouldn't even whisper "tax refund" in your house for the appliances to hear you!

Thanks for all of the info; I really appreciate it!

I hate to be the voice of dissention, but I've got another POV. We tried bought and returned several irons after our last one bit the dust. We tried a lower end Rowenta, and two other models. They were all horrible. Finally my dh came home with the cheapest iron they had at Walmart, around $15. I told him he was ridiculous, asked him what he was thinking, explained that I had been doing the ironing in our family for the last 17 years, and no way was I going to use a crappy, cheap iron.

Naturally, it was the best of all the irons we tried, works well, and is still going strong after around 5 months. It's a Proctor Silex. And I never would have believed it if it hadn't happened to me.

Rowenta here. I paid about $90 for mine...and, worth every penny! It's almost a pleasure to iron!

Smiles!

~Holly

:iagree: If you need a new one, I do think it is worth getting a nice iron. I never realized how much more work it was with a $25 iron vs. a nicer one until I splurged on one. Big time-saver. If you do a lot of ironing, it is worth it.

Our Shark is a little beefier than this, but this is a photo that does show the steam chamber I'm talking about:

M_23336_g6200fs.jpgDry Steam under pressure will cut ironing time in half. Powerful penetrating continuous steam makes ironing easy with little arm pressure required. Professional dry cleaning results are possible on silks and delicate fabrics using dry steam and on cottons and wools using humid steam. Incredible continuous steam power make the G6200 a super steamer. Steam is produced at any angle that the iron is held. Steam humidity can be adjusted from dry for fine fabrics, to humid for heavy natural fabrics. Powerful constant steam can also be released in a vertical posistion allowing efficient steaming of delicate fabrics. No droplets of water when using steam at low temperatures because the steam is produced in the steam generator, not the iron. Professionally designed stainless steel soleplate allows high retentions for perfect pressing and efficient drying in one stroke.Steam Generator Irons have seperate thermostats for the steam boiler and iron soleplate, so you can reduce the iron soleplate temperature.

And, I didn't even know that Rowenta made a similar iron - but here it is at Macy*s Rowenta Expert Steam Generator Boiler Iron

Reg. $400.00

Sale $299.99 here is the link:http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=348941&cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-6-_-77-_-MP677

Edited by MariannNOVA