Menu

Any Brother Lawrence (1600's) fans here?

I am a HUGE Brother Lawrence fan. :iagree:

I think he is a wonderful inspiration for mothers, homeschooling or not. What he did was so much like what we do. And he figured out how to worship AS he was going. How many Moms try and try to have a separate "devotions" time only to find that the Devil pokes their children to wake up as soon as the Mommas sit down with their Bibles?!:glare:

I think MY job is "daily," but can you imagine washing the dirty dishes of 200 bachelors, day in and day out? Uuugggghhhhh. :tongue_smilie:

I LOVE Brother Lawrence. He is at once immensely practical and immensely spiritual.:001_smile:

Also a Brother Lawrence fan. I read the book a few years back. Ds, 17, read the book earlier this school year and loved it as well. I must say, I tended to think like Br. Lawrence before I had read his book. Reading his thoughts was like finding a kindred spirit, albeit one who was much better at carrying it out than I'll probably ever be. His spiritual ideas are so simple and yet so deeply touching right to the core of my being. He lived an inspiring life and his book continues to inspire throughout the generations. There is something ideal about the monastic life when it comes to contemplation. The quietude and daily repetition of duties and prayer are conducive to hearing that still small voice we all long to hear.

and for the link to the free download, Tami! I meant to read from Brother Lawrence some time ago, but hadn't gotten there yet. Your reminder and the link were just what I needed to get back to it. I just downloaded it this morning and have been listening. How inspiring!

This is a time of year for many of us hs'rs where we need to be reminded of the joy of serving. I don't know about you, but I am weary of winter and ready for sunshine. During these gray months in the PNW I'm thankful for the reminder that serving my child and my family here at home are all part of loving God. I can't tell you how much I needed this right now.

Thank you ever so much! :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda