Menu

Advice on attire for memorial service

My hubby's best friend of 40 yrs. died last week. The memorial service will be held at an Episcopal church. We live in a rural area where funeral attire can be anything from new Levi's an a fitted cowboy shirt, to business casual, to suit & tie. he service we are attending will be in Spokane, WA, a larger city.

I am wondering if business casual - dark khaki's, shirt, (w/ or w/o tie?) - is appropriate for my hubby, or if he should wear a suit (not sure he has one that fits anymore, but maybe it's time to get one).

I am planning on wearing a brown tweed-ish suit with a furry collar & cuffs (and a little bling (for my conservative tastes anyway) in the form of an antique pin on) all borrowed from my MIL who says it's appropriate. I'm going to wear brown pumps with it.

I have 3 teenage boys. Would slacks & dress shirt be OK, or do you think ties? Are "dress shoes" necessary, or can they wear their brown shoes that are somewhat like sneakers on the bottom but nicer-looking (what they would wear to church).

I know so much of this is a regional thing and varies by church. I know nothing of Episcopal churches.

Suggestions? I'd appreciate any advice!

Kimm in WA

My hubby's best friend of 40 yrs. died last week. The memorial service will be held at an Episcopal church. ....he service we are attending will be in Spokane, WA, a larger city.

Is it at the St. John's Episcopal cathedral up on South Hill on Grand & 12th Ave? If so, it's a pretty amazing place. (DH attended Gonzaga, and we lived on South Hill for 4 years before he joined the Air Force.) If it's there, I would suggest you lean towards the dressier choices.

Remember you are there for a funeral and not a fashion show. Your husband is the best friend no matter what he wears. If you think it's time for a new suit you're bound to find one on sale this time of year. I would dress the boys in their best but not buy new shoes. I've been to more Episcopal services than most and closer family and friends tend to wear suits or jackets. I'm sorry for your loss and hope the service is a blessing.

I would dress for the position dh holds as Best Friend for 40 Years, rather than for the church.

I would dress in the dressiest clothes I had for a friendship that lasted 40 years, in order to give an outward disply of the deepest of respect for my friend.

I wouldn't necessarily buy the kids new shoes, but dh should dress as dressily as he can with what he has.