Menu

Good literature program for young, high ability reader?

Dmmetler

My young 5 yr old reads on a 4th grade+ level, often quite a bit higher if it's non-fiction, but tends to get bogged down on fiction because she doesn't quite "get" why the characters do what they're doing. Her vocabulary is post high school level already, based on the testing her private school did this year. We will be home schooling full-time next year (even her Kindergarten teacher thinks it's the best thing for her), and I'm wondering if there's any good literature program that will challenge her skills, but not get into situations that she's not emotionally able to handle yet?

I have a similar situation with my DD, she can read anything you hand to her. At the moment i just let her read, anything and everything. We go to the library and borrow tones of books!

I was on the search for a 'program' but i am yet to find something that provides the perfect challenge without being overwhelming with the extra work required.

What i have found helpful is to look at curriculums that are challenging like Ambleside and let my DD read some of the lit selections herself instead of me reading them to her. VP also has challenging lit selections for their grade levels.

Picture books, meant to be read aloud by adults, were a life saver when my son was at that stage. Look for books that have lots of words on each page (rather than one or two sentences). These books are frequently at a 4th grade+ reading level.

Picture books and nonfiction books about dinosaurs, planets and space, and the human body are what my 5 yr old reads (typically 3rd-5th grade lvl according to AR when I check)

I think he has the same problem with longer fiction books so we pretty much only do those as read alouds, that and he refuses to read them.

We use the Sonlight catalog as a reading list. Some of those books have a lot of emotional content, but it's always handled sensitively.

Ah you beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing. I use the Sonlight lists too. They have lots of advanced reading on there. Good luck. :)

I never thought of using our board books and picture books for an early reader! My 3.5yo is approaching a 2nd grade reading level and who knows where he'll be when he's 5. We have a lot of beautiful picture books (like a picture version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Polar Express) that a 5yo would love! I'll have to remember that if he breezes through the first few levels of SL readers.

Some authors and series you may wish to look at. These cover a range of reading levels.

Dick King-Smith -- wide range of reading levels; he's a godsend to parents of advanced young readers

Astrid Lindgren -- so much more than just Pippi; try Karlson, Noisy Village, Emil

Tove Jansson -- Moomintroll series

Joan Aiken -- Arabel's Raven series

Michael Bone -- Paddington series

Edward Ardizzone -- Little Tim series (picture books)

Esther Averill -- Jenny and the Cat Club series

Oz

Walter R. Brooks -- Freddy the Pig series (do the first few in order)

Beverly Cleary

Roald Dahl

Eleanor Estes

Eleanor Farjeon -- Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep

Lang coloured Fairy Books (Blue Fairy Book, etc)

Peter Sis (picture books)

E Nesbit

And lots of fairy tales, myths, legends, folktales.

Picture books, meant to be read aloud by adults, were a life saver when my son was at that stage. Look for books that have lots of words on each page (rather than one or two sentences). These books are frequently at a 4th grade+ reading level.

I agree. Even now, Dot prefers a picture book to a chapter book. Even when the picture book is actually MORE difficult than the chapter book. :001_smile: