Menu

WRTR phonogram cards: make or buy?

I actually just finished making my own this weekend. I bought poster board at the dollar store and cut it about 1/2" larger on all sides than the paper the phonograms were written on. I made both sides of the cards, and just glued them onto the front and back of the pieces cut from poster board. Easy peasy!

I should add that I'm using the much older red cover version of WRTR, so I'm not really sure if it includes the phonograms in the same order.

I made my first set with index cards and they did the job. I borrowed the book from the library, so it cost me about $1. We still have them around and use them for different things (like our phonogram of the day board).

I now use the SWR cards that I've laminated. They are nice and more professional looking. I also like the info on the back of the SWR cards, but homemade ones would be more than adequate.

If I were to make my own using the WRTR book, can anyone offer advice about how to or not to make them?

Thanks!:001_smile:

Make sure you draw the a and the g the same way that you would see them in print in books.

Also, you can write the pronunciation instructions and rules on the backs of the cards, so that you can see them as you show your child. Make the cards big, and draw the letters big.

Well, I'll be the dissenting opinion. It was worth it to me to buy the cards. First, they are made with a type of paper product that has a laminated-like feel, so they are durable. Remember, they will get daily use with dirty hands. (At least at my house! LOL!) Second, the print is large and of uniform size for those young, developing eyes. Third, the rules and example words are included on the back of the card. My hat is off to you if you choose to make them. For me, the time savings was worth every penny. Plus these cards will last a long time. Our other home-made cards have worked out OK, but just haven't stood the test of time.

Jennifer

I am using cards from the Riggs Institute, which are slightly different from WRTR (I think they have one more phonogram), and they do include the letter y saying long e (WRTR teaches y always saying short i instead of long e like in the word baby, which I don't like) . I'm using them with All About Spelling, but have WRTR and may use it eventually. What i like about them is that they build the rules ino what you say for the cards (so for ee you'd say "e, double e, always says ee", and for ck you'd say "k, two letter k".). I got them from a private classical school we've thought about, but you can order them directly from Riggs Institute. I think they were $25. I've heard the Spalding cards are nice quality.

Well sure you could make them, but by the time you laminate them you could have bought the set from WRTR and been done with it. I LOVE the WRTR cards, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. Is that a strong enough endorsement? You WANT these cards. If your budget is tight and you're gonna use plain cardstock and not pay for laminating, you'll be fine, do it. But if you're going to pay one way or the other, get the ones from the Spalding Foundation. They are SO well made, SO high quality. You'll really kick yourself once you see them in person if you don't buy them. If MCT owners get Hummers, well Spalding phonogram card purchasers get Concorde jets. They're slick, awesome, and you want them. :)

Oh, and get the small set. I got the classroom set, and they're awkwardly large, even for my somewhat large hands. Next kid around I'll probably convince myself to get the small/home set, just because they'd be so much more convenient for flashing. They have the base set and the extra deck (advanced cards), so you want them both. They fit together in one nice box. The cards are professionally done, like super-duper quality Uno cards. You want them. :)

Just checked, and Spalding has the Individual size (the ones I'm suggesting would be just fine) for $12.90. I can't tell if the extra ones for the advanced phonograms come in both sizes or not. You could call them and ask.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I am using cards from the Riggs Institute, which are slightly different from WRTR (I think they have one more phonogram), and they do include the letter y saying long e (WRTR teaches y always saying short i instead of long e like in the word baby, which I don't like) . I'm using them with All About Spelling, but have WRTR and may use it eventually. What i like about them is that they build the rules ino what you say for the cards (so for ee you'd say "e, double e, always says ee", and for ck you'd say "k, two letter k".). I got them from a private classical school we've thought about, but you can order them directly from Riggs Institute. I think they were $25. I've heard the Spalding cards are nice quality.

Don't the Spalding cards have this on them? It's been awhile since I checked WRTR out from the library. The SWR cards do and are $13 (if you decide to buy). There are subtle differences between the phonograms depending on the program. SWR changes the order in which they are taught (that wouldn't really matter) and reorders a few sounds based on current word frequency. However, these are minor IMHO. They Y saying a long e wouldn't be compatible with Spalding or SWR, though, if you use it as written.

Now it has been a few years since I looked at them, but when I bought my SWR phonogram cards they were a packet of photocopied cardstock. The WRTR cards from Spalding are top quality, professionally done, and not particularly more expensive than buying the SWR ones and laminating. What she's describing with the sounds for Riggs sounds like the way SWR presents them. I didn't find the differences a big deal at all. If you're using SWR, you just go through the WRTR cards and mark them with a sharpie for the changes. I laminated my cheat sheet from SWR with the heavy mill stuff so I could use it as a bookmark in my Wise Guide. Once you have that reference and start to learn the stuff, you don't really find yourself looking at the backs of the cards. That's why it really doesn't matter what deck you buy, so long as you're willing to sort out those differences. Now the rules cards, there I like Sanseri's. Her little drawings are whitty and help make the rules more clear.

Now it has been a few years since I looked at them, but when I bought my SWR phonogram cards they were a packet of photocopied cardstock. The WRTR cards from Spalding are top quality, professionally done, and not particularly more expensive than buying the SWR ones and laminating. What she's describing with the sounds for Riggs sounds like the way SWR presents them. I didn't find the differences a big deal at all. If you're using SWR, you just go through the WRTR cards and mark them with a sharpie for the changes. I laminated my cheat sheet from SWR with the heavy mill stuff so I could use it as a bookmark in my Wise Guide. Once you have that reference and start to learn the stuff, you don't really find yourself looking at the backs of the cards. That's why it really doesn't matter what deck you buy, so long as you're willing to sort out those differences. Now the rules cards, there I like Sanseri's. Her little drawings are whitty and help make the rules more clear.

Mine were a little better quality than photocopied cardstock, but not the quality you're talking about with the WRTR cards. ITA that the differences are so minor that it wouldn't matter. There really aren't that many helps (like e double e always says e) if those aren't on the WRTR cards. I know the phonograms so well even after 1 year with a K'er that the teacher helps aren't needed. I wish I'd known that the WRTR cards are so much better in quality.

My very visual ds LOVES the rule cards! Would those be helpful to someone using Spalding instead of SWR? I don't think the programs are that different, but don't remember if the rules are as emphasized as they are in SWR. If they are, the spelling rule cards would be worth the $7 IMO.

If you can find them used (they're not cheap), the ones for "Johnny can Spell" are really well made-pretty much, JCS is just pre-made materials and supports for using WRTR (to the point that, back in my teaching days, when we were sent to training on JCS, they gave us the WRTR book). The "Student" ones would work for home schooling, but I'd want to laminate them, because in my experience they barely lasted a year with a child actually using them.

I am so thankful for so many responses!!! I'm going to check into ordering the WRTR cards...

I do not like WRTR's pronounciation of y as short i, but I read on the WRTR FAQs that the pronunciation is based on regional accents..... (can't think of the exact way they worded this). Hopefully I would be able to painlessly change that part to show y makes the long e sound.

Riggs looks great, but they are not selling their cards currently.

Again, thanks very much!

I am so thankful for so many responses!!! I'm going to check into ordering the WRTR cards...

I do not like WRTR's pronounciation of y as short i, but I read on the WRTR FAQs that the pronunciation is based on regional accents..... (can't think of the exact way they worded this). Hopefully I would be able to painlessly change that part to show y makes the long e sound.

Again, thanks very much!

It's because that's what was correct... not really because of "accent". I think that SWR... does the "We think the sound of short 'i', we say long 'e' " Of course, instead of trying to type it out... they sub the actual sound.

When you hear of the why that Spalding based it on.. it makes sense. There are other words that are... we think... we say...

:-)

Elizabeth,

I'm torn between SWR cards and WRTR cards. Help me understand.

If I went with SWR cards, I could get phonograms plus spelling rules and they cross-reference each other. That looks like a major benefit......

But...

I have access to the WRTR book and I might not be able to use SWR stuff with the WRTR book. (Although, I'm mainly buying these to review phonogram sounds with my olders who use Spelling Power. I'm not really trying to start over with a new program..... I must admit, though, the more I read in WRTR, I have thoughts of ditching SP just so we can focus on one thing. Sometimes having choices makes for lots of confusion.)

OR.... buy the WRTR phonogram cards. But I do not see any rule cards. Am I missing them?

Finally, since WRTR cards are the nicest quality, is it confusing to use them with the SWR rule cards????

Help, please!:tongue_smilie:

It's because that's what was correct... not really because of "accent". I think that SWR... does the "We think the sound of short 'i', we say long 'e' " Of course, instead of trying to type it out... they sub the actual sound.

When you hear of the why that Spalding based it on.. it makes sense. There are other words that are... we think... we say...

:-)

:iagree:The key is not to think of spelling words in terms of pronunciation because it varies regionally. The spelling remains the same. The reason for the y saying a short 'i' sound is because of the i and y connection. It's also consistent with the use of 'i' within words...think about 'wing.' It made more sense to me when I started the program and my ds didn't have any problem with it.

Elizabeth,

I'm torn between SWR cards and WRTR cards. Help me understand.

If I went with SWR cards, I could get phonograms plus spelling rules and they cross-reference each other. That looks like a major benefit......

But...

I have access to the WRTR book and I might not be able to use SWR stuff with the WRTR book. (Although, I'm mainly buying these to review phonogram sounds with my olders who use Spelling Power. I'm not really trying to start over with a new program..... I must admit, though, the more I read in WRTR, I have thoughts of ditching SP just so we can focus on one thing. Sometimes having choices makes for lots of confusion.)

OR.... buy the WRTR phonogram cards. But I do not see any rule cards. Am I missing them?

Finally, since WRTR cards are the nicest quality, is it confusing to use them with the SWR rule cards????

Help, please!:tongue_smilie:

The spelling rule cards are a SWR product so you won't find them on the Spalding site. There isn't much cross-referencing between the rule and phonogram cards. The only ones I can think of that correlate are two-letter phonograms that end in 'i' may not be used at the end of a word so you'd use the version that ends in 'y'. Ex: 'ai' and 'ay,' both two letter /A/, but you may use the second one at the end of a word. The rule would be that "English words do not end in I, U, V, or J."

There might be some more, but the connections are pretty obvious. Now, the WISE guide (the SWR word list) does list which rules apply to each word. I don't remember if that's included in the EA List in WRTR. If it is, then that will be helpful.

You shouldn't have any trouble using the SWR cards with WRTR or vice versa. The author of SWR first created a supplement to WRTR which morphed into SWR. The differences are minor. However, I'd get the Spalding cards based on OhElizabeth's description. They'd work just fine with the SWR rule cards.

I have access to the WRTR book

The rules are printed on the back of the WRTR cards. They also provide reference to the rule in the book if needed, and the rule page in the notebook. IOW, the cards, the book, and the notebook all mesh together nicely.

Riggs looks great, but they are not selling their cards currently.

Again, thanks very much!

Possibly you misunderstood. Here's the exact quote:

The Spalding Method teaches children to analyze the written spelling of words. Spelling has remained relatively constant over the years while pronunciations vary among geographical regions and countries. In the English spelling system y and i are used interchangeably, but y and e are not. For example, in the words gym, rhythm, system, we use y to represent the first sound of i.

When teaching children to spell, pronouncing the word ba by (short i), helps them to write y, not e. Note that the accent is on the first syllable. When reading the word for speaking, you have a choice: have children pronounce the word as spoken in your region or maintain the original pronunciation which is consistent with the spelling. Children have no problem with the difference. They understand that pronouncing words two ways helps them spell and read.

But, you know, there are so many other phonograms that make the long e sound, that my kids (esp. dd) finds it *easier* to spell something when I specify to use the short i sound from y - she can picture that particular letter in her mind, and it's distinguished from all the other possibilities. So I just explain that for spelling, we use (short i sound from y), but for reading we say (long e sound) nowadays. But really and truly, baby did used to be pronounced with the short i sound - check a dictionary printed before 1957 or so.

The rules are printed on the back of the WRTR cards. They also provide reference to the rule in the book if needed, and the rule page in the notebook. IOW, the cards, the book, and the notebook all mesh together nicely.

Colleen, thanks! I didn't realize the rules were on the back of the phonogram cards. One other lady who answered on this thread mentioned that she likes the SWR rules for the appealing presentation. At least I wouldn't have to buy the rules from SWR unless I just wanted to.:001_smile: