Menu

Can someone compare Singapore Math to MM?

mystika1

Hi,

I have heard that MM is comparable to Singapore Math and wanted to get user opinions on this.(not trying to start a war.:001_smile:) I don't know if anyone has used both or is using both but I thought it would be interesting to know as I am putting together a math schedule for when we complete her current grade level book.(7 year old) I like math and would like to use something that gets my daughter really thinking. I would like to approach math problems from different angles. What ever ends up as my core I will also use activities for the alabacus to round it off.

Is MM similar to SM? Which one would be considered top choice for a well rounded math program if you had to choose between the two with no supplementing?

Sorry for all the math posts lately. Just confused. :)

Thanks,

Penny

I've used both and am now using MM, with no supplementing (other than occasional drills for my dd who can't seem to get her facts down to save her life! LOL)

Anyway, both SM and MM are conceptual, make kids think, help them visualize, and take a very similar approach to teaching math (pictorial), and both strong in word problems. SM sometimes needs more drill added, or supplements added due to it's non-traditional S&S. But, it's a very solid program. MM has a more traditional S&S that we are used to in the US but isn't watered down whatsoever. It teaches the same topics, but in a different order than SM. MM has built in drill and has excellent explanations in the text. There's no need for a guide b/c it's all in there. The book is the guide, the text, and the workbook all in one...without flipping around. Singapore has a text book you teach from, based from your reading from the guide, then a workbook the student then works from, and then supplemental books if needed.

MM also comes with a computer program that has skill specific games/drill. An extra worksheet maker (to targer skills if needed), a test/review maker, and more. Also, the grade level packs comes with reviews (i.e. chaps 1-2, ch 1-3, 1-4,1-5, 1-6) so you are reviewing EVERYTHING you've done so far, not just a chapter of the book you just did. It also comes with tests for each section. SM has a test book that can be purchased as well as computer games.

I've found MM to be much simpler to teach from, and my dd thinks it's easier to learn from. She enjoys SM's approach but MM has made it more doable for us both. We've been able to use the topical books for filling in gaps as well. The author has been very helpful in analyzing dd's placement test and helping us decide what topical books to do before starting her in the grade level pack when moving to MM. My rising 1st grader will start MM1 in the fall, but we'll add in manipulatives for the pages instead of all just by the pics on the pages. I think this will be very easy to do...I also really like the way they teach time in the MM1 pack. You can see the samples on the site.

ETA: Once you finish MM5, she says go into SM6, so the two much be very similar even in the upper levels. She is working on a MM6 now though.

Jumping in here-we just started MM as remedial with older dd10 ("talked" to you about it in another thread). We are LOVING it so far.

Do you feel MM is missing anything, compared to Sing? For some reason I'm just chicken to make the jump to using it as a complete curric.

Edited by HappyGrace

I think MM is *much* easier to teach than Singapore Math. The explanations are clear and concise. Plenty of review built in which I felt SM was lacking. My children understand it much better than they did SM, too. Although that's might be more because I know how to teach it better than I did SM.

ETA: I'm using it with my younger, mathy DS along with MUS. My older non-mathy DD much prefers MUS and is doing well with it, but I have her use MM occassionally to help see things from a bit different angle.

Edited by LoveBaby

I've used both and am now using MM, with no supplementing (other than occasional drills for my dd who can't seem to get her facts down to save her life! LOL)

Anyway, both SM and MM are conceptual, make kids think, help them visualize, and take a very similar approach to teaching math (pictorial), and both strong in word problems. SM sometimes needs more drill added, or supplements added due to it's non-traditional S&S. But, it's a very solid program. MM has a more traditional S&S that we are used to in the US but isn't watered down whatsoever. It teaches the same topics, but in a different order than SM. MM has built in drill and has excellent explanations in the text. There's no need for a guide b/c it's all in there. The book is the guide, the text, and the workbook all in one...without flipping around. Singapore has a text book you teach from, based from your reading from the guide, then a workbook the student then works from, and then supplemental books if needed.

MM also comes with a computer program that has skill specific games/drill. An extra worksheet maker (to targer skills if needed), a test/review maker, and more. Also, the grade level packs comes with reviews (i.e. chaps 1-2, ch 1-3, 1-4,1-5, 1-6) so you are reviewing EVERYTHING you've done so far, not just a chapter of the book you just did. It also comes with tests for each section. SM has a test book that can be purchased as well as computer games.

I've found MM to be much simpler to teach from, and my dd thinks it's easier to learn from. She enjoys SM's approach but MM has made it more doable for us both. We've been able to use the topical books for filling in gaps as well. The author has been very helpful in analyzing dd's placement test and helping us decide what topical books to do before starting her in the grade level pack when moving to MM. My rising 1st grader will start MM1 in the fall, but we'll add in manipulatives for the pages instead of all just by the pics on the pages. I think this will be very easy to do...I also really like the way they teach time in the MM1 pack. You can see the samples on the site.

ETA: Once you finish MM5, she says go into SM6, so the two much be very similar even in the upper levels. She is working on a MM6 now though.

:iagree: with all of this!

Math Mammoth is hands-down my favorite homeschool curriculum, in any subject. With most curricula it seems like there's a trade-off between thoroughness/rigor and ease of use (for both the parent and the student). Not so with Math Mammoth. It's very rigorous and really gets kids to think, yet it explains things so well that nonmathy kids aren't left floundering. And it's an all-in-one, open-&-go program that could not be easier for parents to use. I really didn't like having to switch back and forth between the Singapore textbooks, workbooks, and Instructor's Guides. I also think MM has more drill of math facts and more review of concepts than Singapore, so it really can be used with little to no supplementation. I've used it with a mathy 2nd grader and a very nonmathy 5th grader who was in remedial math in PS when I pulled him out; it's worked equally well for both of them. It's also inexpensive, reusable, and the author is very helpful and accessible if you need help. I really could not ask for more in a math curriculum!

Jackie

I'm looking to switch my daughter, currently in SM 4a (standards) to something different. Currently we are supplementing SM with Key to Fractions and she likes the format of the Key to .... book *much* better than Singapore. Would the MM be more like the Key to books in feel and action? I have found that she frequently needs supplementation with SM and more constant review, so I have been considering a switch to Saxon. A long time ago we used the clock module from MM and I liked it, but hadn't thought about it as a possible switch.

Any thoughts?

From hearing people talk on the boards, it has seemed to me that one of the good points of Singapore is that it teaches kids to solve problems using bar diagrams? (Is that right?) And that this is a strategy that allows kids to solve very sophesticated problems without algebra. Does MM teach this?

From hearing people talk on the boards, it has seemed to me that one of the good points of Singapore is that it teaches kids to solve problems using bar diagrams? (Is that right?) And that this is a strategy that allows kids to solve very sophesticated problems without algebra. Does MM teach this?

Yes, MM uses exactly the same bar diagram approach to word problems. I think it really helps kids "see" the problem, especially visual/spatial learners like my DS.

I think one of the reasons MM worked so well for him, when nothing else had, is precisely because MM illustrates the concepts so well. The first few months we were using MM, my son was having one "aha!" moment after another, saying "oh, NOW I get it ~ this is easy!" And I love how they illustrate algebra problems, with colored shapes on a scale. A few months after finishing 4th grade PS, where he was in remedial math and not progressing at all, DS was doing algebraic equations with 2 unknowns (in MM4) and calling it fun.

Jackie

These are interesting points brought up. We finished our Singapore A & B for kindergarten in about 3 months, so I decided to find something until next year -- which was MM because there are a lot of worksheets and this is what my DD liked out of the Singapore was the workbooks. I really didn't like the switching between text/workbook either and she really does like MM so far -- she seems to like math a lot actually. Never would have figured that.

But since we haven't done 1st grade or a "real" textbook sort of math yet, since the K level is sort of a intro I haven't really made my mind up yet on which we will use. So far it seems that a lot of the issues I have with singapore are the same as others here that moved to MM and like it. Right now we are using 1st grade MM The Blue Series addition and she is flying through these worksheets. But it makes me wonder if we are doing too much math? Or what level it is that she will be at by the time we do reach next year.

I'm guessing if we want to go to using MM for a full curriculum we will probably want the light blue series? This means I have to go back to the drawing board once again!

Right now we are using 1st grade MM The Blue Series addition and she is flying through these worksheets. But it makes me wonder if we are doing too much math? Or what level it is that she will be at by the time we do reach next year.

If she's enjoying it and doing well, I wouldn't worry about doing "too much" or getting too far ahead.

I'm guessing if we want to go to using MM for a full curriculum we will probably want the light blue series? This means I have to go back to the drawing board once again!

I prefer the Light Blue series, because each year is all in one book, with the "extra" topics like clock, money, measurement, etc., mixed in. But if you feel your DD will have completed some of the Blue books and you don't want to repeat the same material in the Light Blue 1st Grade book, then you can stick with the Blue Series through 3rd grade. You can get the package of all 16 Blue books for grades 1-3 for $32 (with the HSBC discount). There is a list on the MM site of what order she recommends doing them in. It's the exact same material in the Blue and Light Blue books, it's just that the Light Blue books integrate bits of money, geometry, clock, etc. into each grade, and with the Blue books you mix those in yourself.

Jackie

If she's enjoying it and doing well, I wouldn't worry about doing "too much" or getting too far ahead.

I prefer the Light Blue series, because each year is all in one book, with the "extra" topics like clock, money, measurement, etc., mixed in. But if you feel your DD will have completed some of the Blue books and you don't want to repeat the same material in the Light Blue 1st Grade book, then you can stick with the Blue Series through 3rd grade. You can get the package of all 16 Blue books for grades 1-3 for $32 (with the HSBC discount). There is a list on the MM site of what order she recommends doing them in. It's the exact same material in the Blue and Light Blue books, it's just that the Light Blue books integrate bits of money, geometry, clock, etc. into each grade, and with the Blue books you mix those in yourself.

Jackie

You can get pretty much the same teaching material in the blue as you get in the light blue, but you won't have the reviews, tests, etc. Also, if you've done some of the blue books for a grade level, you can still get the light blue for that level and just not print out the sections you've already done.

My oldest using Singapore Math and I'll be using RS for my youngest. I'm thinking of trying of MM as supplement for the oldest. Or maybe switch him to MM if he likes it. Any advice?

IMHO, MM and Singapore are so similar I would think it would be just a lot of the same material taught much the same way. If you are just needing extra practice, it could work. If you are wanting to supp with a different approach to the same topics, you won't find that.

My DD MUST prefers MM to SM even though they are so similar. MM teaches (or helps me teach) in a way that is easily understood. Plus, it's all on the page. I don't need a HIG or extra workbooks, and the text and workbook are combined into one worktext so I'm not flipping around through different books. We both like it. They only downside is having to print it all-- but DH is a student and has free printing in the university library :tongue_smilie: So, other than the printing issue, I love MM and so does DD.