Menu

Free historical doll clothing patterns...

Could anyone use American Girl doll clothing patterns for part of their history instruction? I found a link to free patterns for all the retired dolls and thought I should post it in case someone could use it. I plan to make my daughter some colonial clothes for her doll to wear to Williamsburg this summer...

http://www.agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

Just a note from someone who has sewn these patterns. These patterns are not for novices. They do not leave you much of a seam allowance at all. I had to remake one of the Molly dresses (the ruffled pinafore) because they didn't put enough of an overlap for the velcro. But having been a bit of a wet blanket, the finished dresses were beautiful and dd loves them.

Ummm, yeah, you are totally right! I'm trying to make the Molly raincoat right now. The sleeves are a real pain! But I'm sticking in there because you can't beat free even if it is a headache. I'm using an old pair of pants and thread I already had on hand.

My daughter will love it even if it's not the greatest. I hope...

I realize that these patterns may not still be sold. But that doesn't mean that AG has given up the copyright on them.

I would suggest that there are still similar patterns available from pattern companies that you can get pretty cheaply using sales and/or coupons.

You can also probably find free patterns available online that are offered for free by their copyright holder.

Unless I missed something that this was being offered by AG rather than just a fan site.

Just to clarify, I don't think OP is bad for posting the link. I love links to cool helpful stuff. But I also know how much work goes into creating books and craft patterns. If the rights to these products aren't protected, then why would anyone continue to produce them?

I am taken aback by the amount of copyrighted content that websites are willing to post. Just because you have a scanner doesn't mean that you own the rights to the content, whether you are a fan site or Google.

Jean,

Since you have already worked with these patterns, can you tell me if the pattern pieces are the correct size in the pdf file? In other words, if I print the pages with the pattern pieces on my printer, will they be the right size to produce the correct size clothing for the doll, or do I need to have the patterns enlarged? Thanks!

Just a note from someone who has sewn these patterns. These patterns are not for novices. They do not leave you much of a seam allowance at all. I had to remake one of the Molly dresses (the ruffled pinafore) because they didn't put enough of an overlap for the velcro. But having been a bit of a wet blanket, the finished dresses were beautiful and dd loves them.

Yes, I agree!

It is good advice & you're not being a wet blanket!

I realize that these patterns may not still be sold. But that doesn't mean that AG has given up the copyright on them.

I would suggest that there are still similar patterns available from pattern companies that you can get pretty cheaply using sales and/or coupons.

You can also probably find free patterns available online that are offered for free by their copyright holder.

Unless I missed something that this was being offered by AG rather than just a fan site.

I looked on the site and it said that American Girl company is aware and knowledgeable of the content used on the site, so I am guessing that means they do not mind. I will contact American Girl to verify this, but I think it is given out free with permission. I'll keep you posted. For now, IMO, I do think I am doing anything wrong nor did I mean to post anything with ill intent. However, it's always best to follow your conscience.

Site owned and maintained by Johanna with JN Consulting. Graphics and images contained here in were used with the knowledge of American Girl LLC.

Jean,

Since you have already worked with these patterns, can you tell me if the pattern pieces are the correct size in the pdf file? In other words, if I print the pages with the pattern pieces on my printer, will they be the right size to produce the correct size clothing for the doll, or do I need to have the patterns enlarged? Thanks!

They are the right size. But - the seam allowance is only 1/8 inch. I had no problem sewing with that allowance on wool (Samantha's cape) but with cotton which unraveled some, I had a difficult time. I ended up making tiny french seams but it was hard! The cotton Molly's pinafore had to be remade. I had to add an extra piece of material to accommodate the closing velcro because there was no overlap on the pattern. I finished the dress at midnight (Christmas eve) and then had to add to it because it wouldn't fit the doll!

I am working on the jumper, shirt, & beret for Molly right now. The white collared shirt is a pain - I had to redo some of it. I ended up changing it a little by using two fronts & backs so that I could sew the collar between the layers instead of trying to flip it like the pattern says to. The beret was very easy. I am going to be working on the jumper this week, hopefully it won't prove too much of a problem. I'm glad someone posted about the problem with the pinafore as it was next on my list!

Oh and I tried the little red purse for Molly with no avail! :( I just could not get it to turn right. So, I will just design my own to go with it.

Here is the response I received from AGplaythings regarding the copyright:

AG is well aware of the patterns posted on the site for the last several years and has never had a problem with them being there. While we are not affiliated or endorsed by the company, we have maintained a cordial working relationship with them. You are free to enjoy the patterns for your own personal use.

I am doing the Molly coat right now, without the back flap or pocket to make a basic doll coat. I also shortened it so it looks sort of like a little pea coat. I am finding that I should have added extra room for hemming. I will definitely add extra hem room onto anything else I sew from these patterns.

Oh, one other thing: does anyone else find that some parts are easier to sew by hand than to try to sew on the machine? There was no way I could get the sleeves on without doing it by hand... Am I missing something?

Are they set-in sleeves? Doll patterns usually have you sew the sleeve to the bodice and then sew up the side seams/sleeves to make it easier. I haven't checked these patterns for that. But if that's the problem, you can just leave the side seams until last.

Yes, I had to re-order some of the steps they had in assembling the clothing. There were picky little things like putting on a braid trim after sewing all the seams instead of having it so that the braid ends would be hidden in the seams (which happened naturally if you sewed the braid on first). And I had the same problem with sleeves. Dangermom's solution is a good one.

They are the right size. But - the seam allowance is only 1/8 inch. I had no problem sewing with that allowance on wool (Samantha's cape) but with cotton which unraveled some, I had a difficult time. I ended up making tiny french seams but it was hard! The cotton Molly's pinafore had to be remade. I had to add an extra piece of material to accommodate the closing velcro because there was no overlap on the pattern. I finished the dress at midnight (Christmas eve) and then had to add to it because it wouldn't fit the doll!

Thanks, Jean.:)