Menu

What is the best approach/curriculum for teaching beginning phonics?

I want to start teaching my ds5 how to read. I wasn't going to begin with the traditional method of teaching all the letter names first but from everything I can find that's where it starts. I've read many times that it's not the name that's important to know but the sound it makes. There is so much out there using the other way that I'm struggling with what to do. I'm a little apprehensive about teaching him to read in the first place. My ds8 is a struggling reader and I feel like if I find the right method I won't have to worry about my ds5 struggling as well. I'm open to any suggestions that use phonics, not whole word or a mixed approach. TIA!

I've never looked to far into SSRW because of the price, a little to expensive for us. I have heard a lot of people love it though.

I'm also looking for an approach that would teaching spelling along with reading.

Try looking for it used. I found one used for $15 one time. It was newer and in better condition than mine, so I gave mine away to a friend.

FWIW, I also use the 1st grade program for both K and 1st and just progress through at their speed.

Honestly, SSRW is the best homeschooling purchase I have ever made. I have spent a small fortune on homeschooling over the yrs, but it ranks at the very top.

I really liked SL K language arts. You learn a few letters and then start reading fun little books. It schedules the Explode the Code primers. We skipped a lot of things that were not necessary and added a letter craft book. My ds did it awhile back and now I am half-way through with dd. It is excellent for getting them reading short-vowel words.

I also love many of the activities from "Wow, I'm Reading." It is a great way to introduce rhyming, blending, and word play along with whatever phonics program you are using.

If you aren't against workbooks, McRuffy LA is one to check out. I'm currently using the McRuffy K with my ds6 who struggled with the Abeka K last year. He's made great improvements this year (could be his readiness, though). McRuffy K teaches phonics, reading, spelling, writing, & introduces some grammar (Capitalize the first word of a sentence, put a period or question mark...nothing major, just an introduction).

Abeka has been recommended by many. I'm sure it's a solid program, but it just didn't work for us. However, you may want to check it out as well. It incorporates workbooks, but you don't have to use them if you choose not to. You could simply use the Handbook for Reading.

LOL, when I saw you question I thought, the best approach is the one that works! We tried Abeka and although it was effective, it brought on way too many tears. Then we tried Sonlight and it didn't go so well either. We finally settled on HOP, which worked for us! Hope that helps :).

I want to start teaching my ds5 how to read. I wasn't going to begin with the traditional method of teaching all the letter names first but from everything I can find that's where it starts.

Depends on what you're reading.:)

I've read many times that it's not the name that's important to know but the sound it makes. There is so much out there using the other way that I'm struggling with what to do. I'm a little apprehensive about teaching him to read in the first place. My ds8 is a struggling reader and I feel like if I find the right method I won't have to worry about my ds5 struggling as well. I'm open to any suggestions that use phonics, not whole word or a mixed approach. TIA!

Spalding and its spin-offs teach letter sounds first. But that isn't the only thing that makes it different. Chldren learn to read by learning to spell, and how to analyze words to be sure they're spelled correctly. All vowel sounds are taught, and the reasons for long vowel- instead of short-vowel sounds. Children don't have to spend several weeks (or months) reading only short-vowel words, and so they don't have to read vocabulary-controlled basal readers for a year (or more)...they can read *real* books in just a few weeks.

Children learn sounds for each letter as they learn how to write it, which involves all learning modalities (and you don't need something additional for handwriting).

Spalding (or SWR) would be your whole English course: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization/punctuation, simple composition. If you added the teacher guide, it could also be grammar and more comprehensive composition (but you don't *need* to do that).

I LOVE Sing, Spell, Read, Write. Teaching my kids to read is now one of my favorite homeschooling subjects. When I taught my oldest to read I used WRTR and 100 EZ lessons and it was pure torture for both him and me. I have used SSRW with all the rest and it has been fun and has produced excellent readers.

DO you mind a SSRW question. My ds is cruising along in phonics. We used SL K and then picked up in OPGTR after the short vowel chapters. He has done all the blends and diagraphs. Next we will begin the silent e words, which he is familiar with, but hasn't completed it in the book yet. We also use ETC.

Anyway he HATES phonics right now. He used to love it when we were using SLK with games and activities. He understands it and is learning, but can't stand the process. Do you think he is too far along in his phonics to benefit from SSRW? We have pretty much given up on handwriting, so I could see him benefiting from that aspect of it. I have others to teach behind him, so eventually we would use it all.

Thanks for your advise.

Laurel

I like the looks of Memoria Press' new phonics program. It's not colorful or snazzy (is that a word? :001_smile: ), but it is very similar to how we taught at the preschool I worked at. It includes handwriting. I think when ds is older, I will at least purchase these to check them out more closely (there is a sample at the site).

eta: They have changed the sample to only samples of book A. There are stories later in the series as well as word family pages and word lists.

Edited by Dawn E

DO you mind a SSRW question. My ds is cruising along in phonics. We used SL K and then picked up in OPGTR after the short vowel chapters. He has done all the blends and diagraphs. Next we will begin the silent e words, which he is familiar with, but hasn't completed it in the book yet. We also use ETC.

Anyway he HATES phonics right now. He used to love it when we were using SLK with games and activities. He understands it and is learning, but can't stand the process. Do you think he is too far along in his phonics to benefit from SSRW? We have pretty much given up on handwriting, so I could see him benefiting from that aspect of it. I have others to teach behind him, so eventually we would use it all.

Thanks for your advise.

Laurel

When you say he has covered all his digraphs, are you including all the vowel digraphs (like ee, ea, ai, oi, ough, etc??) I am assuming the answer is no since you state he is getting ready to move on to silent e.

SSRW finishes the yr with students reading words like Charlotte's chandelier, Philadelphia, etc. My kids have all been on a solid 3+ reading level when they have finished the program.

Reading short vowel sound words is a minuscule part of SSRW. There are 17 readers and only the first 5 cover short vowel sounds.

It sounds to me like SSRW might be a good fit for him.

When you say he has covered all his digraphs, are you including all the vowel digraphs (like ee, ea, ai, oi, ough, etc??) I am assuming the answer is no since you state he is getting ready to move on to silent e.

SSRW finishes the yr with students reading words like Charlotte's chandelier, Philadelphia, etc. My kids have all been on a solid 3+ reading level when they have finished the program.

Reading short vowel sound words is a minuscule part of SSRW. There are 17 readers and only the first 5 cover short vowel sounds.

It sounds to me like SSRW might be a good fit for him.

Thank you. Thank you. That is what I needed to know. I am new to all of this. He has covered only the consonant diagraphs, not all of the vowel pairs. In OPGRTR he is reading sentences like Scruff the dog will splash when I scrub him in the tub.

It just might work for us. I wanted this years ago, but kept putting it off.

Edited by Laurel T.

My ds5 can't write so would we still be able to use SWR? I've been reading some of the reviews and they say it's worthless if you child can't write. There has been some reviews as well saying it's a very confusing curriculum for the teacher and the student? I don't want to start him off by dreading reading.

Is he physically unable to write? or he just *doesn't* write? Because if there's no physical disability, SWR will *teach* him to write, and you can move along as slowly as he needs to develop his writing ability.

I've never looked to far into SSRW because of the price, a little to expensive for us. I have heard a lot of people love it though.

I'm also looking for an approach that would teaching spelling along with reading.

Pricey, but worth every penny, I'm a huge fan of The Phonics Road. Incorporating everything you need for all language arts, this program starts with reading and works its way up to Latin. Here is a previous review.

Best wishes,

I use SWR. It is quite a learning curve to get things rolling...but you can work on the preparing preschoolers section while you are figuring the rest out. There is also a yahoo group where you can ask questions of the author and SWR trainers.

If he needs to learn to write letters and learn their sounds, why not do both at the same time??? Focus on learning the strokes and associating the letters with the sounds...you can use fingerpaints, shaving cream, or just sticks in the dirt...avoid pencil/paper until he's really ready. Mini lap-sized chalkboards are our main thing when just learning to form letters.

We sing the ABC song, read the Dr Suess ABC book, etc, etc...to learn the actual letter names.

Happy Phonics http://www.lovetolearn.net/catalog/product/07073

These are fun and very doable for a non-writing 5yo...and would be a great Kindergarten before doing something more intensive in 1st grade. For my dd4 and my ds3, (having the 20/20 hindsight vision LOL) I'm focusing on these games to learn the phonograms and handwriting for K. (starting SWR closer to 1st grade)

You can also use letter magnets for spelling instead of writing. This is more time consuming, but if it works...

My ds5 can't write so would we still be able to use SWR? I've been reading some of the reviews and they say it's worthless if you child can't write. There has been some reviews as well saying it's a very confusing curriculum for the teacher and the student? I don't want to start him off by dreading reading.

I do OPGTR for many reasons but one is that I have such young readers that don't know how to write - there is NO writing in OPG :)