Menu

Anyone ever eat a Dragon Fruit

I was at the fruit shop today and purchased this really funky looking fruit called a Dragon fruit. It is pink, about the size of a grapefruit but it has...tendrils growing out of it (for lack of a better description!) Any clues on how to approach this fruit would be appreciated.

Also, so you can all appreciate easy access to US fruits- the shop was selling cherries for Rs 1400 per kg (about $30 per 2.2 lbs!) We passed on the cherries!

Never had a dragon fruit; it looks yummy!

My dss begged and begged me to buy him a kiwano horned melon, so I finally did. It was only four dollars, but it's a bit strange looking. :tongue_smilie:

We took it to the in-laws on Thansgiving so everyone could try it. Once I cut it open, I had to *insist that dss try it, LOL. It's green and gelatinous inside, with lots of seeds. Not the most appetizing looking fruit. And it tasted, to me at least, like cucumber.

Dss hasn't asked me to buy another. :D

Guest Virginia Dawn

Never had a dragon fruit, but I've had ugli fruit. :-)

Any cherries you see are probably not from the US. The only ones here now are from South America.

LOVE dragon fruit!! I wonder if they have palmelo in India? We get palmelos here at the market every weekend. We are obssessed! But whatever you do, stay away from durian!

Hmm I don't think I have heard of palmelos but I will have to check. What is up with Durian?? I saw hotels in Malaysia that had signs for "NO Durians allowed!" Why is that?