Menu

Kindergarten questions

My dd will be 5 in July ... she knows and writes abc's, counting by 1's, starting to do beginning and ending letters in words, shapes, asking how to write words, etc... she has adhd...she is all over the place. She sits for 1 or 2 papers, at the most, and learns from her v-tech, PBS word girl, Super Readers and of course talking with us. She hardly sits for a book. I would like to get her on the computer since she is now going up to it and trying to type. Are there any good computer programs that will keep her attention? We have Windows Vista. Thank you for any help.

(Oh, I have looked online at the Montessori computer program...the card comes in the mail with a bunch of other cards. ... Has anyone used this?)

1. Have you had your dd diagnosed with ADHD? 4 is *really* young to diagnose a child with anything like that. She may just be an active four year old.

2. My doctor says my little girl is extremely bright and well adjusted. He comments every time he sees us on how bright she is. She won't sit for more than 2 papers either. The average, normal attention span of a four year old is about 5 minutes. I hope you understand I'm not trying to say your dd does not have anything, or contradict a doctor if she has been diagnosed. I am just saying I would be very careful to label one so young.

3. If she does or does not have ADHD, (and I know because I "have" ADD), computer programs and allowing her to play those games are not good for her. If I were you, I'd steer clear of anything like that!! They train the mind to think in short, 20-second spans and be constantly entertained by light, sound, noise and interaction from the game.

4. My dd had to be forced to sit and learn to listen to a book. I had to get tough. My son was born ready to sit and listen to me read, but my dd was totally the opposite. SHe is always bouncing, moving, looking, trying to dig, see, taste, touch, dissasemble, etc. her world.

So I sat her down and told her she would learn to sit and listen to books. I began with very short books (basically baby books) and she received a swat with a glue stick every time she got off the couch. She was allowed to squirm a bit (you know..pick wedgies, adjust her sitting position, etc.) but I told her she must listen.

Every day I would pick a longer story and sit her down and force her to listen. I scheduled this into my day and she knew what was expected because there was no yelling, prodding, fussing, or begging, or reminding. When she got off the couch or displayed any passive aggressive behavior (sticking her hand in my face, arching her back and bumping her head on me, etc.) I would get out my glue stick and swat her on her thigh hard enough to sting. Then I would wait for her crying to subside, and begin reading.

The understanding was, that the book had to be finished and then she had to tell me a little about it before she was allowed to play. AND she had to have a good, obedient attitude the whole time.

It took about 3 weeks and many little swats but suddently my dd, first got the message that I wasn't kidding. I would love her enough to follow through. So she became obedient.

THEN about week 4 (we're talking ONE MONTH of patient work on my part) she made a breakthrough and decided she loved reading. Now that the obedience was past and it wasn't all about her, she decided that this was special time with mama. She realized that she could seize the moment! SHe began to choose the books herself and look forward to this cuddle time.

I believe, if you are willing to turn off the video games, and electronic stimulation and love your daughter enough to be 100% persistent and tough with her that you will have the same success story.

Have high energy, artistic, smart, inattentive children is not easy. I know you are often tired and you may feel the last thing you need is for me to tell you not to do soemthing for your dd that is easy and fun for her.

But I tell you this because if you can get over this hurdle, your whole homeschooling career may be much improved, by giving your dd the ability and love to read/be read to.

It's a suggestion you can take or leave, and I respect your decision to homeschool, especially with all those wonderful children.

But I tell you this because if you can get over this hurdle, your whole homeschooling career may be much improved, by giving your dd the ability and love to read/be read to.

I can't recommend any computer based programs, but I did want to say that I think the above reply was very well done, regardless of if you 'take it, or leave it'. :001_smile:

I also highly agree with #3:

*** 3. If she does or does not have ADHD, (and I know because I "have" ADD), computer programs and allowing her to play those games are not good for her. If I were you, I'd steer clear of anything like that!! They train the mind to think in short, 20-second spans and be constantly entertained by light, sound, noise and interaction from the game. ***

As a mom of a child that has been diagnosed with ADHD, this advice is spot on. For *my* child, too much screen time, be it computer, television, video games --causes horrible symptom flair ups. Goodness, those things mess with even my other 4 NON-ADHD kids! :D

I also highly agree with #3:

*** 3. If she does or does not have ADHD, (and I know because I "have" ADD), computer programs and allowing her to play those games are not good for her. If I were you, I'd steer clear of anything like that!! They train the mind to think in short, 20-second spans and be constantly entertained by light, sound, noise and interaction from the game. ***

As a mom of a child that has been diagnosed with ADHD, this advice is spot on. For *my* child, too much screen time, be it computer, television, video games --causes horrible symptom flair ups. :D

Same here. We didn't allow my oldest to use a computer until he was nine and had really made progress in attention and self-control. My younger one started when she was eight. Both have strict time limits and controls on what they do. I'm very picky about the programs too -- no loud, highly stimulating programs.

I'm a part-time computer science professor and have read the hard research studies on computers in education, and I personally don't see any reason to introduce them at all until they're eight years old and ready to start producing documents, etc. Of course my children were interested in the computer early on because of all the time I spend on mine, but we spent those years developing basic learning skills and their appetite for knowledge first.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, she was diagnosed with adhd and she has some disciplinary issues...believe me, I haven't had any other child like this. I do agree about the tv, computer. She is on the V-tech for a very short time because she can't stay there very long anyway. I've tried for a long time with the reading and for awhile just said forget it. Now she lets me read for a few short pages from a child's Bible...she asked. I just need to find something because she can cause alot of noise and confusion....making the 10 yr. old miserable, actually all of us miserable. I want to do so much with her but it seems like she's never going to sit still.

Alternately, you can give your child something to do that lets them occupy their hands and/or wiggles while opening their ears. They can listen to you read while coloring, eating, painting, or building with blocks...as long as they can refrain from interrupting/speaking while you read.

Certainly a lot of computer time won't help, A lot of time to move around, wiggle, in between five minute pauses to sit down and do a page is perfectly acceptable at this age, especially since it's not like you have a whole classroom full of children to keep in line.

Lots and lots of patience and clear boundaries can help, even without corporal punishment.

I assume you'd have read up about dietary causes of ADD and ADHD. I'm sure everyone is aware about the importance of avoiding food colourings and all that rubbish. Some of this can be a lack of Omega 3 in the diet, so perhaps starting her on fish oil tablets will help. "New Vital Oils" by Liz Earle is a great book, and explains some of this. One of those books you return to the library and immediately order from the book shop.

:)

Rosie

Well my oldest was a pretty active one at 4 as well . I wouldn't of labeled her ADHD though .But just my active on the go kid . At age 4 even though she did like the computer a bit she didn't spend much time with it because it actually did the total opposite and caused her not to be interested in it . If that just made any sense .

I did have some games that she could play when she wanted to though . Alpha Omega( www.aop.com ) makes a cute CD series called Rev Up . They aren't super flashy . But they are super cute and I think would be fine for a 4yr old . It is geared to the preschool child . Here is the description from my catalog :

Featuring the charming animated characters from the Amazing Book video series , this innovative program couples traditional teaching methods with creative CD-ROM technology to teach preschoolers the three R's . EAch program features colorful , animated graphics plus a unique Teacher's Module that allows parents to customize the program . The set includes all three CD-ROMs : Rev-Up for Reading , Rev-Up for Writing , and Rev-Up for Arithmetic .

I had this series for my oldest and she really liked it . Its not like a video game , more like other learning programs , like Starfall . You can set how long you want them on and so on . Its definitley something I'm planning on getting for my 3rd daughter here this week . I lost our old set :>)

Also Starfall was and is still a huge hit here in my house .

I too think that teaching them to sit still for stories is a very important skill . But if your wanting something educational for her to do when you are working with another child is okay to do too . I will be the first to admit that I've had to do that so I could work with another child .

I also like the Leapster .. Its the most used item here in our house . We have 2 Leap Pads too . We have some of the Leap Pad vidoes and I know some families don't watch t.v but I know their Talking Letter's FActory is just awesome . Two weeks of that and your child will recognize their alphabet , and their sounds . I can honestly say that these came out when my 2nd child was getting ready to learn to read and she is my best reader . They have a few other Leap Pad videos too in the series . I wished I had them for my first because she struggled so much .