Menu

Anyone use CLE Math and not do everything...

mama2cntrykids

the TM tells you to do? Or even not do all the workbook pages?

We do most of it, but not all of it. If I see that my ds (who's 1st grade) get's it and can do the problems, I just either make it more brief or we do a page orally (he hates to write!).

Am I the only one that doesn't find it nessecary (sp??) to do ALL of what they ask?:confused:

We are battleing this right now too but in the 200 level.

We stopped using their speed drill cuz she hated them so badly cuz they focus on really large numbers.

I do my own speed drills with flash cards and have used calculadder.

Mine is having a really hard time staying focused and trying to get all those pages done.

I eventually have to sit there and keep her moving.

I'm tossing around the idea of going back to saxon, which seemed to work so much better for her and she loved it.

So, to answer your question....If he has mastered something, you can cross it out from time to time, but make sure you do it every now and again so that he won't forget it.

HTH

I only look at the TM to grade papers.

If a lesson has a new concept but is mostly review of concepts that have been mastered, I will teach the new and skip the additional work. Like the previous poster mentioned, we still do the review portions most of the time. It's just when it's something being reviewed over..and over..and over...when I know she knows the material, we don't always do the review.

**I worded that wrong since not all TM have the answers. I meant to say I don't use the TM at all.*

Edited by Heather in OK

For my 5th grader, I started picking a few problems of each kind on the page and having him do them. If he misses them, he does the other problems of that kind. If he gets them right, then I know he knows how to do it. That cuts his math down considerably and takes out the needless drills.

My 1st grader got lost in subtraction with CLE math...so right now, he is doing CLE addition and all other math problems, but for subtraction, he is doing R&S and starting back at the beginning with fact families. We are doing CLE drills with addition and R&S drills with subtraction. It is good because I can keep him moving in the stuff he "gets" but take him back for the stuff he didn't "get."

When we finish CLE 1, we will go on to R&S math 2 because my little guy is just not a math-y kid and he can't hang with CLE like my older son can.

I'm probably on the extreme end, but here's how we do it:

5th grade son: does everything, one lesson per day, all of it. He needs the review. I don't teach it at this age - he reads the lesson & if he has a question, asks me.

6th grade daughter: she does NOT need that much review, and wants to start Algebra after CLE 7. For the past 1 1/2 years, she has done two lessons per day. She does one *complete* lesson, and then just the new part of the 2nd one. That is plenty of review for her - any more would just be busywork. On quiz days she does just the quiz and then a lesson from Life of Fred. This has worked so well, she'll be sad when we switch to a curriculum that requires her to do only one lesson a day. :D

For the lessons that we do, dd does it all including the drill and flashcards. But we do skip the lessons with the quizzes & tests (5, 10, 16, 17) because I don't give tests to her yet, and she gets enough review from the other lessons.

But we may change that as she gets into higher levels, if she needs the extra practice. Another caveat is that we also do Singapore Textbook & Workbook, so some topics we cover in both curricula for extra practice or to see it from a different perspective; for other topics that she has a good handle on, we skip in the second curricula that covers it.

Well, I am going to look at this a bit differently for you.

Having homeschooled and graduated a child who struggles with math, one who excels at math, and currently schooling one in the middle, I would suggest that if your dc has truly mastered what is being asked of him...then the work should not feel at all overwhelming, difficult, or be too much.

In my experience, when a child has truly mastered a concept, then that concept is super easy smeasy and it takes next to no effort on their part to complete it. My dc did not ask me to cut out problems when they understood them. There was no need to because when they truly "get it" they think the work is easy. It is when they say they understand the work, but don't want to do the work, that I get concerned. That usually tells me that they don't honestly feel comfortable in their knowledge of that concept.

So, my personal opinion is that if a child is complaining about all the math, then it may possibly be because he is not yet comfortable with it. If your child is not complaining, then Hallelujah your child gets it! I would still have them do the work though. :D

Math should take time and it's most definitely not an area that I would cut or scrimp on in any way. Been there, done that and I most definitely regretted it. Now, I would have no problem cutting out CLE's quizzes and tests at such a young age. I personally didn't start testing until late elementary. But I wouldn't cut any of the work load. No way, no how.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

We do everything. My son is in 1st grade as well and I don't really find the lessons to be too long. It probably takes 45 minutes to do the whole lesson. That is me teaching the new concept, doing the 1st part of the lesson together, the number writing book, drilling flash cards, speed drill, and then independent work.

I was not confident in my facts as a child in elementary school and it affected my math for the rest of my school years. I feel repetition is important for math.

He is my oldest, so I am by no means an expert, but this is what we do. :001_smile:

Wow, thank you all for your honest answers :). I certainly think that I need to re-evaluate what we're doing. Maybe I'll have him do math as the first subject rather than the last. Then he might be "fresher" and more willing. BUT, I do think I will keep doing the last page how I have been doing it--orally. It works so much better for him.

I didn't start the year with CLE Math, so it's newer to me. I don't think anything will be compromised by doing part of it orally though. Thanks again all!

the TM tells you to do? Or even not do all the workbook pages?

We do most of it, but not all of it. If I see that my ds (who's 1st grade) get's it and can do the problems, I just either make it more brief or we do a page orally (he hates to write!).

Am I the only one that doesn't find it nessecary (sp??) to do ALL of what they ask?:confused:

For my 1st grader, I do not skip anything, BUT I do a lot of the writing. As he moves further and further into the Light Units, he has taken over the writing part, but don't feel bad about doing the writing if he is doing the work. It is very difficult for a little person to handle all that writing.

For the record, we are using CLE Math, Reading, Language Arts and Bible for my 1st grader.....and I did most of the written work earlier in the year. Now that my ds is closer to 6 he has taken over a large part of it. When I notice he is getting tired, I take over the writing or put the rest of the lesson over until the next day.

~~Faithe

So we do all the work. We never really did the speed drills, though.

This is funny and such a kid thing. Some of my kids were horrified by speed drills until I had them sit and do NOTHING for two minutes. That is a LOOOOONG time when you are 5 or 6. Then, I asked them to do the speed drills and I timed them...the object was to beat their own best times.

My 5 year old LOVES speed drills. He is very competitive and he always finishes. My 7 year old is not competitive, and he only finishes a few problems every day, but no tears. My older dd would completely break down every time I set the clock, which is why I came up with beating their own time.

Kids are all so different ;)

~~Faithe

For what it's worth, we do all the work of every lesson, including the speed drills, quizzes, etc. (The speed drills, quizzes, and tests are his favorite part, actually!) My ds seems to find security in programs where he know exactly what is expected of him. He knows in math that every problem, every day is the work that he must complete. (If I began to pick and choose which problems he needed to do, he'd spend a few minutes trying to negotiate...:tongue_smilie:)

• 2 weeks later...

We're using levels 600, 500, and 100. We're starting 200 sometime in the next couple of weeks. The boys do every part of every assignment. They need the drill work. For Dot, since she averages two lessons a day, we don't do every little thing. We don't do the drills at all, and she only does 25% of the basic 9+3=12 type of problems. She does any problem more complicated, like 23+45=68 or 5+8+2 = 15.

There was a time when we did everything. Dd, though, gets easily frustrated with math and the longer lessons were tough on her. From the advice I received here, I decided to modify how we do the skill builders section. Now, in that section only, I have her only do one division problem, on multiplication problem, and one addition problem, and one subtraction problem, but all other problems like fractions and decimal. Then, obviously, more if I find mistakes. (Also, when we've had extended illness or medical issues we tend to get lax with the speed drill.) The funny thing is she is doing significantly better since I've made modifications. She's nearly always gets in the nineties now one her tests and quizzes, whereas her scores were usually in the eighties before.

I do cross out a few problems if I know she has them down, but she has to do a few of them for review.

We do not do the timed speed drills in the back. I do them orally, and we are on multiplication and division. They are still doing plus and minus, so were so done with that.

I still do a skip counting everyday and 2x a week we do things like money, calendar, ruler, word problems for real life situations for review.

HTH

I just switched to CLE from AOP Lifepacs. We will be doing everything in the lesson. I can't believe how much more thorough CLE is...I wish we had made the switch sooner as I never did like Lifepacs for us (I was just too cheap to order anything new). Our Lifepac lessons took about 15-20 minutes while CLE has been taking us 45 minutes to get through a lesson. The lesson I learned is not to skimp on math....all the review, drills, and flashcards are not my thing (I am NOT a math person), but I see that without a more intensive curriculum my son was just floundering! So, we are going to suck it up and do it all:001_smile:

We switched from SOS to the CLE 401 (we were at unit 4 on the SOS) and we are doing the quiz 1 day and then if she passes, the next quiz the next day. If she doesn't pass.... then she does the complete lesson. We don't do the speed drills (mainly because of schedule right now) - but I expect once we get back in the groove we will be doing them.

I love what this is doing for my daughter though - it's NOT an easy curriculum which I am really pleased about. I am thinking about having my son do it next year instead of going back into Algebra with Saxon to make him more confident. We switched him to SOS 8 and now back to finish some of last years lifepacs.