Menu

Where do you get your checks printed?

It's been over 7 years since we got the last set printed. We did not use the bank's services but some random printer by mail order. Times have changed. Can you even buy your own paper to print checks? (Do merchants look at you funny?) Who did you use to print your last set of checks?

It's been over 7 years since we got the last set printed. We did not use the bank's services but some random printer by mail order. Times have changed. Can you even buy your own paper to print checks? (Do merchants look at you funny?) Who did you use to print your last set of checks?

I get ours free at http://www.vistaprint.com -- 25 free. They'll last me several months then I'll order more. There is a shipping charge, but you don't pay for the checks. And get the *slowest* shipping. It never takes the 21 says it says.

Believe it or not, you can use any piece of paper to write a valid check on (as long as it has the relevant information on it -- routing, checking acct #, and so forth.

A crumbled lunch bag will do.

I buy business checks from NEBS. One may buy personal checks there, too, but I figure there is a cheaper way -- aside from any old piece of paper, that is. :001_smile:

http://www.nebs.com/nebsEcat/index.jsp

I've just rotated through about 6 different mail order coupons to take advantage of the first time customer offers (because the regular prices were so much more expensive). Since I've used all the main ones since I've been at this address and bank (if those change then they think you are a new customer again), I looked around more. Came across Sam's club. I didn't know they printed checks. I just got our first batch a couple of weeks ago. The price was equal or better than the first time customer offers and now I don't have to try to remember who've Ive ordered from and who I haven't.

Of course this is only helpful if you are a Sam's Club member.

Believe it or not, you can use any piece of paper to write a valid check on (as long as it has the relevant information on it -- routing, checking acct #, and so forth.

A crumbled lunch bag will do.

I buy business checks from NEBS. One may buy personal checks there, too, but I figure there is a cheaper way -- aside from any old piece of paper, that is. :001_smile:

http://www.nebs.com/nebsEcat/index.jsp

Yes, it is legal tender, but few stores will take them. Most stores have check readers that read the magnetic numbers on the bottom of the check. Some stores that I have worked in, won't even take a check if the check won't go thru the reader for some reason (hand punching the number from a check or cc was absolutely prohibited). That is why print-at-home checks didn't really take off until they started selling them pre-printed with the numbers on them. Some thieves have figured out various methods to make life hard on everyone else.

I have ordered from various companies like 'checks in the mail' in the past but now only use Costco. It is so easy to do online, cheap, fast and great quality. I haven't used any other method since I found them.

As a side note: I use the duplicate checks and found theirs to be the nicest I have used.