Menu

So ... no one here has made a resume before?

I'm the resume go-to-girl for my friends.

A couple of quick tips -

- Make sure it's nicely formatted and has plenty of white space. Look through a couple of samples online until you find one that suits you

- Start off bullets with action verbs ("Managed three major projects, Supported Windows computers")

- Use quantifiable numbers, if possible ("Increased production 40% in three months")

- Unless you've been in the field for more than 5 years, keep your resume to one page

Google 'resume template'. There are tonnes of free ones, that will give you help and tips as to what to put where. :001_smile:

:iagree: AND -- b/c you are looking for appropriate 'language' (industry related), read employment opportunities for the type of position you are seeking and be certain that your resume uses language that is standard in 'your' industry.

And, less is more.

several times. I have experience cleaning houses, apartments, and a church. I have experience caring for children (have a degree in Early Childhood Education). I have experience as a cashier and a storage unit manager. I also have a five year gap where I was just homeschooling my daughter (which I did include on the resume because it was from 2000 to 2005).

I've heard that you don't want your resume to be more than one page. Employers don't have time to weed through long resumes.

several times. I have experience cleaning houses, apartments, and a church. I have experience caring for children (have a degree in Early Childhood Education). I have experience as a cashier and a storage unit manager. I also have a five year gap where I was just homeschooling my daughter (which I did include on the resume because it was from 2000 to 2005).

I've heard that you don't want your resume to be more than one page. Employers don't have time to weed through long resumes.

Luanne, you are going to want to have a couple of different resumes and you are looking for a "functional resume." Say you are looking for a job in childcare - that resume will highlight your education and child care experience, while also mentioning the skills from the other jobs that carry over into childcare. If you were looking for a housekeeping management job, then you would focus on your management skills and experience cleaning houses. A receptionist position resume would be about your people and clerical skills, which would be highlighted at the top with your actual work experience under it.

Make sense?