Menu

I want to get a cast iron dutch oven for cooking roasts in the oven.

What size do you recommend for a family of seven?

Depends on appetites but I think you can go to the "Le Creuset" website and see what their suggestions are in terms of sizes. There is also the "Lodge" website, they do sell dutch ovens as well.

I am not sure about this but I think one of the recent issues of "Williams Sonoma" catalog had a double page spread about various sizes of dutch ovens - incidentally all Le Creuset as I remember it. Perhaps the Williams Sonoma website will be helpful as well.

I have a Lodge and love it! I would suggest going somewhere and picking them up. Mine is so heavy when it is full that I am always scared I am going to drop it and have the "cleaning up a gallon of hot stew experience".

I love the cast iron for roasting. Whole chickens, roasts, even veggies all taste better roasted in my dutch oven.

I have a Lodge and love it! I would suggest going somewhere and picking them up. Mine is so heavy when it is full that I am always scared I am going to drop it and have the "cleaning up a gallon of hot stew experience".

I love the cast iron for roasting. Whole chickens, roasts, even veggies all taste better roasted in my dutch oven.

Not relevant to the thread, but I wanted to welcome cat in black back! It has been a while since I've seen you around the WTM boards. As my son approaches the end of high school, let me thank you for all of the wisdom you shared back on the old boards as we prepared to begin high school.

My, the years do fly...

Jane

But need something bigger to hold more yummy veggies. I used a bottom round roast which is a pretty tough cut of meat. I salt and peppered it. Browned it in the iron skillet on both sides in oil. Added 1/2 cup of red wine, covered, and put in a 300 degree oven. After cooking 1 hour, added potatoes, carrots, and onions. Cooked another 2-2.5 hours until tender. It came out fork tender and so good. None left.

What makes a better pot roast, oven roasting or crock potting? The crock pot is certainly easier.

The crock-pot is easier. If you brown everything first you can close to closing the gap with the crock-pot, but you still can't top oven roasting.

Bill (who usually went for the crock-pot in already "hot" California)

Here's a GREAT oven pot roast recipe, and in my mind it is easier than a crock pot, because you brown and cook in the same pot:

Serves 6 to 8.

For pot roast, we recommend a chuck-eye roast. Most markets sell this roast with twine tied around the center. If necessary, do this yourself. Seven-bone and top-blade roasts are also good choices for this recipe. Remember to add only enough water to come halfway up the sides of these thinner roasts, and begin checking for doneness after 2 hours. If using a top-blade roast, tie it before cooking (see illustrations below) to keep it from falling apart. Mashed or boiled potatoes are good accompaniments to pot roast. (Steph note: I don't tie it and it turns out just fine...)

Ingredients

1 chuck-eye roast (about 3 1/2 pounds), boneless 2 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 medium onion , chopped medium 1 small carrot , chopped medium 1 small rib celery , chopped medium 2 medium cloves garlic , minced 2 teaspoons granulated sugar 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth 1 cup low-sodium beef broth 1 sprig fresh thyme 1 1/2 cups water 1/4 cup dry red wine Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer roast to large plate; set aside. Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast. Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then place large piece of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid; transfer pot to oven. Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes, until fully tender and meat fork or sharp knife easily slips in and out of meat, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
  3. Transfer roast to carving board; tent with foil to keep warm. Allow liquid in pot to settle about 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface; discard thyme sprig. Boil over high heat until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes. Add red wine and reduce again to 1 1/2 cups, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Using chef’s or carving knife, cut meat against the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices, or pull apart into large pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving platter and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Serve, passing remaining sauce

If you want room for a roast and vegies I would go for a 6 qt minimum. If you are using it mostly for roasting, then go for an oval oven. They are less expensive than the round, but not good for stovetop because of the shape.

I already have several enameled cast iron pots in 2, 3 1/2, 4, 5 (have no less than 3 of these!), and 8qt. I am looking at getting a 6 3/4 qt le creuset wide round oven because the wide pots have a larger area for browning and roasting. It went on sale right before Christmas, but I missed it, so I'm waiting for it to go on sale again.

What's the advantage with the enameled? They seem to be more expensive.

Easier clean up (they are more-or-less "non-stick"), they don't rust or have seasoning issues, and enameled won't react to acidic foods.

Le Creuset has long been "the gold standard" for enameled cast-iron, but it's $$$$$.

I'm thinking about buying this one from Walmart that has been discussed on this forum recently, and well rated by Cooks Illustrated:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11989387

Bill

Not relevant to the thread, but I wanted to welcome cat in black back! It has been a while since I've seen you around the WTM boards.

My, the years do fly...

Jane

Yes, my youngest is a junior at Virginia Tech now. He just turned 18. I continually sing the praises of The Well Trained Mind. I rarely come here now that I have embraced life as an empty nester, but I do love to pop in occasionally just to see what the rest of you are up to :-)