Menu

BC ~ Side Effects

Does anyone else really hate the side effects of birth control? I have a list of problems I have with mine.

Constipation

Stomach pains

Mood swings

Depression

Weight gain

Bloating

Acne

Anybody else have these kinds of problems? Or different ones? I am considering no longer using mine. I tried an IUD after my last child and that was a horrible experience. Years ago I was on the depo provera shot and it made me CRAZZZY! I'm starting to rethink birth control all together. :rolleyes:

oh man, I HATE birth control. It makes me nuts. My dh thought I was possessed I think when we first got married (I had just gotten on it right before we were married). I got off very soon after dh and I got married.

After dd2 was born, I got on the nuva ring, but I was also suffering PPD and was on Lexapro - I think the Lexapro leveled out the mood swings.

Now I am due to have #3 in 6 weeks, and I don't know what I'll do for BC. I'm thinking barrier and prayer :D

Different BC have different side effects. If you are having so many problems with the one that you are on then your dr. needs to change you to a different formula with a different side effect profile.

Screaming to be Heard is an excellent book that covers this and can usually be found at the library.

A good website is: http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm. This is great in helping you narrow down your options based on the problems that you are having.

I can't do any of the tracking or natural family planning because I never have regular cycles. I still manage to have babies, but my due dates always have to be determined by size of the baby. This baby is due 2/27, but based on my last period, I am not about 12 months pregnant :)

I can't do any of the tracking or natural family planning because I never have regular cycles. I still manage to have babies, but my due dates always have to be determined by size of the baby. This baby is due 2/27, but based on my last period, I am not about 12 months pregnant :)

Wow! That must be hard. Do you use BC? If you do, does it not help to regulate your periods? I've never had this problem. My periods are so easy to calculate, when I'm even a day late I start thinking "I'm Pregnant".

Same problem here. I've tried six bc pills, and need to call to get this IUD removed.

Oh, that IUD was so bad. My body would NOT stop bleeding. I had to go back in 3 weeks later and make them remove mine. The doctor said, "it's just a side effect. It should clear up by the 3rd month"...haha NO THANKS!

Oh, that IUD was so bad. My body would NOT stop bleeding. I had to go back in 3 weeks later and make them remove mine. The doctor said, "it's just a side effect. It should clear up by the 3rd month"...haha NO THANKS!

Mine is causing me to break out in eczema and acne. I've always had dry, itchy skin, but I've never had a full blown outbreak let alone one that left scars all over my legs. I usually get 1-2 pimples a year and I've had about 8 in three months. Not a lot, but still a difference. My back has ached slightly every day since it was put in; it's worse when I lay down. My lips have been chapped for over two months even though I'm drinking more than enough water and keep Carmex on them at all times. It's just little things but it is driving me nuts.

Natural family planning can be as effective....can be if done properly. It may be worth it for your to look into it.

Not sure if you are a christian but the catholic church teaches something called the Theology of the Body that sold me completely on NFP (I am not catholic...probably doesn't matter......).

This is such a hard, hard thing to face. I firmly believe that our bodies are not made to ingest such things and in time the evidence will completely support my feelings. . I also believe it is not made to be altered either (IUD, example). There are options. truly.

One thing of interest to ponder is the divorce rate of couples practicing NFP is almost nothing....less than 2% or something like that. this stat is true for all couples practicing not those who are church/God/Jesus affiliated.

emerald

I love talking about this. Please ask if you have any questions.

my dr won't let me near BC anymore. All the ones I tried caused SEVERE mood swings, painful cysts on my ovaries, migraines, dizziness, insomnia, and nausea. No more hormonal based BC for me

Now see there is ONE things BC seems to clear up for me...CYSTS! I get them so bad when I'm not on BC. Funny thing is everytime I have gotten pregnant I have had a horrible cyst right before I find out I'm pregnant. I end up in the ER and have even been told you can't have a cyst the same month you get pregnant. Well, that's has not been the case with me at all. Or either the doctors are wrong about it being a cyst...

Natural family planning can be as effective....can be if done properly. It may be worth it for your to look into it.

Not sure if you are a christian but the catholic church teaches something called the Theology of the Body that sold me completely on NFP (I am not catholic...probably doesn't matter......).

This is such a hard, hard thing to face. I firmly believe that our bodies are not made to ingest such things and in time the evidence will completely support my feelings. . I also believe it is not made to be altered either (IUD, example). There are options. truly.

One thing of interest to ponder is the divorce rate of couples practicing NFP is almost nothing....less than 2% or something like that. this stat is true for all couples practicing not those who are church/God/Jesus affiliated.

emerald

I love talking about this. Please ask if you have any questions.

I'm a Christian, not Catholic...although sometimes I think it would be easier so I could use that excuse for not using BC. J/K not trying to offend anyone. I have many non-catholic friends that do not believe in BC. I can understand why they feel the way they do. One of my best gfs believes God will only give her as many children as she is suppose to have. I think I could believe that as well. The bible says God will never give us more then we can handle. I believe children are from God, so therefore this theory is completely agreeable to me. Unfortunately, I become concerned that we will not have the money to provide for all of them.

That is a very interesting fact about divorce! How do you find out about the Theology of the Body? Is this an actually book?

I can't do any of the tracking or natural family planning because I never have regular cycles. I still manage to have babies, but my due dates always have to be determined by size of the baby. This baby is due 2/27, but based on my last period, I am not about 12 months pregnant

Have you ever learned the NFP or Fertility Awareness method in Taking Charge of Your Fertility? If you track the symptoms, you should still be able to see what is going on, even if you are very irregular. I'm not trying to pressure you or anything, I just wanted to clear that up. If you track symptoms over time, you will see when you ovulate, even if it's 78 days since your last ovulation. :001_smile: As you said, you have babies, so you apparently ovulate eventually.

Have you ever learned the NFP or Fertility Awareness method in Taking Charge of Your Fertility? If you track the symptoms, you should still be able to see what is going on, even if you are very irregular. I'm not trying to pressure you or anything, I just wanted to clear that up. If you track symptoms over time, you will see when you ovulate, even if it's 78 days since your last ovulation. :001_smile: As you said, you have babies, so you apparently ovulate eventually.

I picked this book up at the library tonight. I've been thumbing through it. I'm learning so much! Great recommendation! :D

Wow! That must be hard. Do you use BC? If you do, does it not help to regulate your periods? I've never had this problem. My periods are so easy to calculate, when I'm even a day late I start thinking "I'm Pregnant".

I used it after my last dd was born because I was "done" - I had PPD and I was so overwhelmed. I was ready for dh to get a V! Then I got off after almost 2 years and after about 8 months or so I hadn't had a period. I had to take something for a couple of months so I would have a couple of periods. . . then it was about 3 months after that period that I got pregnant. I did have monthly periods when I was on BC.

I'll have to take a look at that, thanks :)