Menu

Could someone please tell me how to hard boil eggs without cracking half of them?

:iagree: with the other posters.

# Place the eggs in a pot. Fill the pot with enough cold tap water to completely cover eggs.

# Bring to a rolling boil on high heat.

# Cover the pot and turn off the heat, leave the eggs in the water for 20 minutes;

# Immediately chill the eggs by placing them under cold running water or in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Chill for a few minutes until the egg is completely cooled.

I hardly ever have cracked eggs:

cover eggs in pan with cold water

bring water to a boil

turn off heat

cover pan and set timer for 15 minutes

remove eggs from pan

This is what I do. I don't do them in small batches though as someone else recommended, I do them all at once (usually around 40) but put a tea towel in with them to help cushion them a little.

Oooh- tea towel- good one! Also, if you plan on using said eggs for food (devilled eggs anyone?)

you can store the egg carton on it's side for a couple of hours before cooking them and then the yolks will

be right smack in the middle of the eggs. Neato (learned that from Alton Brown)

Thank you all so much! For once, I am looking forward to boiling my eggs with excitement rather than dread -- now I have The Secret!

(I am planning to try the tea towel trick as well as starting with cold water, turning off the heat after reaching the boil & letting them sit, and quickly chilling afterward in cold water! In the past, I have always kept my water boiling hard for six minutes -- obviously, that is Not the way to do it!)

Many, many thanks!

What works for us:

Poke a tiny hole in the end of each egg with a large pin or needle (a florist's pin works well).

Place the eggs in a pot with enough cold water to completely cover them.

Bring to a rolling boil on high heat, then turn down to med-low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Immediately dump the hot water out and chill the eggs by refilling the pot with cold water to stop the cooking process. Chill for a few minutes until the egg is completely cooled, refilling with more cold water if necessary.