Menu

DD2 won't eat anything after getting over stomach bug

This is Day 3 of a stomach bug for my 2 year old DD. On Monday she threw up a lot. Yesterday she only threw up once (and it was 24 hours after her time, which was on Monday). Today she is still just lying around like she has been the past two days. I cannot get her to try anything to eat. She just keeps saying her tummy hurts and will go and lie on a towel on the kitchen floor. She will drink, but not eat a thing. I'm wondering if her current stomach ache and nausea is from lack of eating. I'm not sure if I should take her to the doctor or not. What do you guys think? I just think that she should be trying to eat small portions of things like toast or crackers, but she just won't.

I think if she'll drink, you're probably okay. The most significant concerns would be dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance. So if you can just keep her drinking, she should be okay. Will she take some soup? Chicken broth or a good veggie stock (with salt) or miso would be good. Would she drink a fruit smoothie or milk shake? Even an electrolyte drink like Pedialyte (which I wouldn't normally go for) would be a good choice right now.

If she's lethargic or clearly still in a lot of pain, I would take her in. If she just doesn't want to eat solid food, I would let her stay home and rest and just try to get her drinking (including some salts and sugars)...

I would give her stomach some time to rest and see how she is doing later this afternoon. My kids often don't eat for a day or so after a particularly nasty bug. Just make sure she is getting plenty of fluids with electrolytes in them. Likely by tomorrow she will start eating you out of house and home. If she's not eating by tomorrow or she is very lethargic, I'd probably take her in, but if it were one of *my* dc I wouldn't worry too much about lack of appetite today.

:grouphug: I hope she feels better soon. Tummy bugs are rough to deal with for both mama and child.

I think it's ok to keep pushing fluids for just one more day. I'd probably make smoothies & I'd try to sneak in some protein powder in there.

If she can swallow capsules, I'd give her acidophilus (sp?). Normally I'd stay away from dairy this soon after a gi problem but if she really likes dairy, I'd offer yogurt. Heck, even frozen yogurt. Or if I was really worried, I'd go straight to ice cream.

I know the recommendations are for bland but I think you need to think about what her favourite foods are & try to find something there you can offer. Also, if she's been throwing up, her throat may be sore and crackers/toast will hurt. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, soft cooked rice (mixed with applesauce is nice), chicken noodle soup, scrambled egg..... that's the sort of thing I'd be trying to offer.

It's also possible that throwing up scared her & she's worried about it happening again. I think that's normal & will go away with time.

But to answer your ?, IMO, unless she's very lethargic, dehyrated or there are other severe symptoms, I don't think you need to rush to dr. based on what you've said here.

My dd2 just went through the same thing. She did not eat or drink anything for 3 days, and after that only tiny amounts for another 4 days. She vomitted a couple time the first 2 nights, but then just when I thought she was better, the diarrhea started. She only wanted to nurse 24/7 and I was getting very very sore. I finally broke the cycle the morning of the 4th day by going out and buying her McD's french fries. She is still complains of belly aches, and lately of her throat hurting too, so I am still keeping an eye on it, but the rest of her symptoms are passing, and she is slowly picking up her appetite again.

This is Day 3 of a stomach bug for my 2 year old DD. On Monday she threw up a lot. Yesterday she only threw up once (and it was 24 hours after her time, which was on Monday). Today she is still just lying around like she has been the past two days. I cannot get her to try anything to eat. She just keeps saying her tummy hurts and will go and lie on a towel on the kitchen floor. She will drink, but not eat a thing. I'm wondering if her current stomach ache and nausea is from lack of eating. I'm not sure if I should take her to the doctor or not. What do you guys think? I just think that she should be trying to eat small portions of things like toast or crackers, but she just won't.

not even jello?

my toddler once had a stomach bug that left him weak and with no appetite, with occasional bouts (after the first big day of everything!) for nearly a week. sometimes it is not just a 24 hour thing. he even lost 2 pounds, which was really troubling. now he's 8. he got over it. :001_smile: but...it was serious enough that i remember it VERY well.

Give her some time. After vomiting the stomach can get inflamed and that could be the source of her pain. It can take a while to get the inflammation to die down. Going without food for several days is okay, just keep her hydrated and watch for signs of dehydration.

If you just feel like something is wrong, beyond the not eating...take her in. If you feel that her other symptoms are getting less and less, and you see her getting better, not worse, I would give her another day.

Some simple saltines, pieces of totilla shell, plain white crakers (nothing flavored) are all pretty easy on the stomach to digest so, they may be a starting point once she gets her appetite back.