Menu

I need your FAVORITE Life science....

My Body

:D

:iagree: Hands down!!! This was SUCH FUN!! Pair it with any old nice colorful picture book on the body and you are in great shape!!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Let's Read and Find Out books (level 2). There are a whole bunch of them on the human body (digestion, blood, germs, etc.) and so my ideal 1st gr human body study would be. . .

Use the My Body thing as a spine to choose your body system/part of the day/week . . .

Read a LR&FO book about the body system if you find one on the day/week's body part/system. . .

Read a couple pages in a kids body atlas. . .

then color and attach the day's body part according to the My Body thing. Rinse, repeat, every few days for a month or two.

In fact, thinking about it. I think I'll do just that with my 1st grader next month when she finishes her current Nutshell kit. It's been too long since we did the body outlines!

Free Human Body lesson plans for Prek-1. I am using most of this with dd and it is wonderful. Not exactly a resource, but you can check out the books she has scheduled and do your own thing! Most of the books are available at my small public library which makes it almost free.

There are also lesson plans for 2-8 and high school, as well.

Cindy

Another recommendation for MY BODY. If this is for your school, Heather, it would make a great hallway display! All those kids' bodies lined up and added to each week! lol

I'd pair it with some science experiments that don't take a lot of time--things like 5 senses experiments (chew a saltine and experience it becoming sweet, feely boxes, etc.) and perhaps some Janice Van Cleave stuff--as a PP said.

For other life science, I'd consider letting the kids keep a garden (at least grow potted plants indoors) and starting them on nature journals. I recall my son's Montessori school taking the kids to the arboretum and, after walking around experiencing the wonders, giving them each a very small square of excellent quality watercolor paper and a box of watercolors to draw a small flower, leaf, bug, etc.

We simply used the Usborne 1st encyclopedia of human body and online links for games and printouts. We used the library for lots of extra reading and activity ideas. We did things like the 5 senses games, taking our own pulses while still and after a min of activity. We made lungs out of plastic bottles and balloons, made and looked at our fingerprints, etc. Lots of fun.