Menu

I love how they pronounce Peabody in MA...

As a native Bay-stater, MA really has some great town names and even better pronunciations for them. My personal favorite is Leicester (Les-tuh) :-)

I could listen to New Englanders talk all day long.

And Southerners.

And my ds's best friend's dad who is from Nigeria.

I love the sound of some "accents."

The pronunciations for many New England towns, such as Peabody and Leicester, are British (We are New England after all). The missing r in pronunciations, especially at the end of a word, are New Englanders' accents.

Having always lived here in New England, mostly NH with a brief stint in MA during my early 20's, I have always wondered why we drop the 'r' in words like water (watah) but add it to names like Linda (Linder)?! :001_huh:

My dh works with a woman whose name is Linder (this is exactly how she spells it) so I asked him if everyone calls her 'Lindah'. :lol:

As a Yankee living in the Deep South, I still get stumped by how southerners can say "heels" for "hills" and "hills" for "heals" and "mills" is pronounced "meals," and "meals" is pronounced "mills." They have things for "sell" and will "sale" you things at a great price. And, if you are really lucky, they will send you an "e-mell." LOL....and my daughter's speech therapist is a Southern Belle ...YIKES :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We lived in Beverly Farms for four years while dh was in seminary at Gordon-Conwell. Twice a year we headed to Pee-buh-dee for the CBD sale. :)

One of my favorite stories was the Sunday we had a guest preacher. By mistake he said, "Today, I'll be reading from the New England Version" instead of the "New International Version." To dh I said, "That's the one without any "r's."

Wuh-ster was one of my favorites. But now I live in VA just up the road from Stanardsville. Go back and read that. There is no "d" after the "n," but you still pronounce it "StanDardsville." And then there's Staunton. Most people would pronounce that Stawn-ton. But, that's not how it's pronounced here. That would be Stan-ton. :)

LOL! My grandfather was born and raised there and his family lived there for quite a few years before that, so even though I grew up in Jersey, we'd pronounce it Pee-buh-dee. As a kid, I could not understand how people could mistakenly call it Pee-body.

My 9yo ds, who was born in MD, lived most of his life in PA and now lives in MS, has a Boston accent for many things. And his voice sounds so much like my grandfather's. I love it!

My favorite is Gloucester - Gloww-stah.