Menu

Memoria Press Kindergarten - has anybody gotten a good look at this yet?

LynnG in Arizona

I am still using it for Copywork, Recitation, Poetry, Read-Alouds, Music, and Art. We sometimes do the Social Studies and Science. I have never done the phonics program because my dd was further along than where it starts and I didn't want writing tied into phonics. We tried R&S math. I liked the first 10 lessons; it has the best approach to writing numbers that I've seen yet. But after that it focuses on writing addition facts ad nauseum, and my dd isn't ready for all that writing. We were going to be doing that for several months before we would hit anything new like money or time, and that just wasn't the direction we wanted to go. So we dropped it. I like the recitation a lot. It reminds me to teach her things I wouldn't always remember to add in. She LOVES looking up the artwork each week and listening to the music. The poems have been fun, too. The copybook is good but I might have waited to use it until next year if I had looked at it more. She is just learning to write with ARFH K, so it is a little advanced. But she is doing well and likes drawing the pictures to go with it. We have dropped the memory work because she was already memorizing scripture in HOD. To me it is worth the cost of having the TM even if you use very little of it. I really like the questions they have for music and art appreciation. We have gotten a lot out of those. And the customer service is excellent!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are still using just the phonics & writing portion. We are in Week 27. We really like the pace of the phonics program which just covers short vowels & CVC words for K and mostly works on building fluency. Ds is actually one of the kids for whom writing reinforces reading, so tying them together is actually working well for him. The phonics workbook, SRA phonics, is a lot of fun if you want to go the workbook route.

Ds has really come a long way using this program, it is gentle and consistent. I don't know what I would have used without it, I haven't seen anything else as incremental. I do agree that First Start Reading is too cluttered as is, I re-typed all the copywork into StartWrite and printed them out.

:( I REALLY wanted to use MP k-2 for my next little guy, but it looks like it won't work for us. I'm not sure how I could possibly get him ready for that much writing before k. I've had him on pause in OPGTR so he didn't go too fast but dd6 is teaching him behind my back (he now knows sh, ch, tch, th thanks to her):001_huh:. CVC words for most of the year just wouldn't work. I guess we'll stick with our tried and true. I do plan on following their math progression, though. I love R&S!

I think you would be happier than you anticipate with the phonics. First Start Reading does include all the digraphs, common words and some vowel teams - ea, ai, etc. It just doesn't really go into long vowels in K (or if it does it is in the last 5 weeks we haven't completed yet).

Even though the phonics uses short words & phonetic controlled readers, there is a lot of text to read. Ds is reading short chapter books now (Little Bear, Nate the Great, Frog and Toad) and they are about as difficult as the Memoria Press K material in the later weeks (with the exception of the long vowels which we covered on our own). I would guess he reads on average at about a 1.2-1.6 level, which is definitely above grade level for K, so I wouldn't want you to think the MP K phonics program is any slouch ;).

I do think the level of writing may be a concern, however.

I think you would be happier than you anticipate with the phonics. First Start Reading does include all the digraphs, common words and some vowel teams - ea, ai, etc. It just doesn't really go into long vowels in K (or if it does it is in the last 5 weeks we haven't completed yet).

Even though the phonics uses short words & phonetic controlled readers, there is a lot of text to read. Ds is reading short chapter books now (Little Bear, Nate the Great, Frog and Toad) and they are about as difficult as the Memoria Press K material in the later weeks (with the exception of the long vowels which we covered on our own). I would guess he reads on average at about a 1.2-1.6 level, which is definitely above grade level for K, so I wouldn't want you to think the MP K phonics program is any slouch ;).

I do think the level of writing may be a concern, however.

Oh no, I actuallyl think it looks like one of the most rigorous programs out there! I am concerned more with the writing and overkill :D. My dd3 will be the perfect candidate for MP k in a few years! She's a Perfect Paula. :tongue_smilie:

• 2 months later...

I bought just the TM so I could get a feel for it since I was considering using the 1st grade package. Here's my thoughts.

I really like the weekly recitation lists it is good to have something organized to follow.

I like the picture study. I've been using the suggested picture as wallpaper on our main computer so everyone gets to see it.

I like the poetry suggestions and the read aloud books.

I'm not really happy with the science suggestions. We tried to follow the suggested weekly topics, but it didn't work for us.

I haven't decided about going to their full program for next year because I'm not comfortable changing my math and phonics.

I think there is too much writing for K. My dd wouldn't be able to do the writing in the MP Copybook 1.

I didn't use their phonics, so I can't comment on that at all, but the schedule looks very doable if you were following it.

I feel the same way. I have used parts of the K guide and it has been worth the cost to me. I just bought the 1st grade guide so I can use parts of it next year, too. I have used the copybook, music appreciation, art appreciation, recitation, read-alouds, and poetry this year. Every now and then I throw in the craft if it looks interesting and occasionally have used the social studies or science. I also use the reminders to read from the CLP Nature Reader. I really like the art and music appreciation questions in the guide. They force us to study the piece longer and go deeper with it. I also really like the recitation suggestions. They help me remember to teach my dd those things. Going over them each week helps her retain them. The guide is pretty inexpensive and worth the cost to me to just use parts of it.

Edited by jer2911mom

I'm using only parts of the guide as well. I'm not big into "formal" things for Pre-K and K, but I wanted something more for phonics for my son than something like just OPG or PP, which I used with my dd. I am using the Phonics section which schedules FSR, Word Mastery, SRA 1, the Animal Alphabet coloring book, the readers, and Christian Liberty Nature Reader 1.

We started the phonics towards the end of his official K year, but really started it in earnest in "1st." (He was not ready for anything academic until last fall.) I have to say it has been perfect for him. I really love First Start Reading. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of handwriting (even without the copybook, which we don't use) if you had an early reader. But again, it's just worked out to be perfect for my ds. And now, having used almost the whole FSR program now, I can see that the amount of handwriting can easily be adjusted. If it's too much to trace the word, then write it three times, then just have them trace and write it once, or just trace. I've upped the writing requirements as my son has progressed. He went from being able to write hardly a letter to last week writing three short (5 word) sentences that were dictated to him. I *really* like the dictation part of the program. I was pretty skeptical the first time I was to dictate words to him, but I just spread that part out over 2-3 days and he did wonderfully! The way the program has your dc blending letters into words and reading sentences and even short stories early on without having to know all the sounds has been hugely confidence-boosting for my ds, also.

Plus, you can't beat MP's customer service. I bought the K package when it first came out and some of the books were the beta type with the coil binding. I emailed them a few months ago asking if I could get the newer TM because from the samples it looked like it had quite a bit of teacher helps added in compared to the beta version. They sent me a whole new FSR set of perfect-bound books, including the TM, Word Mastery, and the 3 workbooks!

Plus, you can't beat MP's customer service. I bought the K package when it first came out and some of the books were the beta type with the coil binding. I emailed them a few months ago asking if I could get the newer TM because from the samples it looked like it had quite a bit of teacher helps added in compared to the beta version. They sent me a whole new FSR set of perfect-bound books, including the TM, Word Mastery, and the 3 workbooks!

Did you get a new TM for the K program or just the FSR? My TM is coil bound.

We are doing the complete program with the exception of the lit supplements, unless I happen to have the book on hand. I am using Sonlight Core K, so I did not feel the need to purchase the lit portion of MP, which is considerably lighter.

As others have mentioned, there is a lot of writing, but I just adjust to my dd's needs, and go on. She is doing well, though I do feel that the R&S math is moving too slowly. I am actually planning to skip a few sections and forge ahead on Monday. It would not be moving too slowly if we hadn't already begun Abeka K math before I purchase the MP kit.

Overall it is a good solid program. I am actually struggling right now whether to purchase the 1st grade kit, or switch to Abeka. I know (because I used Abeka K-6 with ds) that Abeka is a solid program. I did use Sonlight and Notgrass for history and Apologia for science (all with ds), because as most people know, Abeka is somewhat dry in these areas. However, for LA and math, Abeka provided a very strong foundation for ds, who is succeeding well in college with this background. I love, love, love, Abeka for math, ds used it successfully all the way through their geometry course.

The thing I dislike the most is the lack of color. My dd seems to get bored easily with the math, partly because it is too easy, and partly because it is bland. When I get out the Abeka or Singapore book, she is excited to do more than one page with very little encouragement. The phonics program also lacks color.

If anyone has specific questions, please ask away. I do have the complete kit and have been using it successfully. I am looking into Abeka phonics as well because I want to make sure she has a solid foundation before 1st grade.

I appreciate all the feedback you ladies have posted on this program. I'm planning on using it with my dd in August. She may be reading by then, at the rate she's progressing using the Noah Webster Speller, so I guess we'd just skip the FSR part and do phonics.

I do have a question, is the TM the same thing as the lesson guides that MP sells for $30 or is it a separate book? I'm assuming that is where all the extra information on recitation, diction etc is located.

I appreciate all the feedback you ladies have posted on this program. I'm planning on using it with my dd in August. She may be reading by then, at the rate she's progressing using the Noah Webster Speller, so I guess we'd just skip the FSR part and do phonics.

I do have a question, is the TM the same thing as the lesson guides that MP sells for $30 or is it a separate book? I'm assuming that is where all the extra information on recitation, diction etc is located.

The curriculum guide is a complete set of lesson plans for all subjects & yes, it includes the memory work, etc. They do sell for $30 on the MP site.

I think you could just buy the MP K manual and then use your own phonics and math. Honestly the memory work and enrichment would be worth $30 to me.

HTH

Jen

I bought the lesson plan book, and it was well worth the money, even though I plan to sub OPGTR, HWOT, RightStart for their phonics/writing & math! :) If only they had a music CD and art cards...

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to mention that I had dropped this program and then started again almost a year later. What a difference. Now we are breezing through- memorization is easy, no complaints about the writing. I think we are going to do Kindergarten the sequel. We school year round so it's no big deal and I think working our way through some other prep phonics programs has helped a lot too.

Just wanted to mention that I had dropped this program and then started again almost a year later. What a difference. Now we are breezing through- memorization is easy, no complaints about the writing. I think we are going to do Kindergarten the sequel. We school year round so it's no big deal and I think working our way through some other prep phonics programs has helped a lot too.

:iagree:I think age, particularly for boys, makes a big difference for this program. We ended up completing the phonics part of the K program, although it took us a full calendar year rather than 9 months because I slowed down some of the writing.

I'm very pleased with ds's skills and progress and I have purchased and begun using MP 1, although I'm planning on just continuing the Phonics portion and adding cursive. SRA Phonics makes a great supplement workbook to OPGTR, for any students who need that reinforcement writing.

I will definitely get the TM every year though and just use parts of it. I love to have things scheduled for me and MP produces great products!

• 6 months later...

Definitely get the Kinder Plans, SRA Phonics Bk1, and Classical Phonics. Those are the absolute bare minimum for the phonics work. You can pretty much use any readers you have around. My boys do enjoy the Phonics Readers sets, though. So much so, I am planning on getting more for Christmas. They do run ~$23 a set but I feel are far beyond better than BOB Books and others I have seen.

We also enjoy using the Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader: K for our science. Read, narrate, draw. The boys come up with some great stuff. That book is really for you to read to the child but mine are reading with me now. They grab it and the Phonics Readers off the shelf to read alone often. I used the Animals ABC as coloring pages for my 3yr old dd who wanted to be included in school time. You can skip it.

The suggested art appreciation prints are not available yet as a card set. MP is working to have that done sometime next year. Same for a music CD. My dh found most of the music on itunes for me.

The read aloud and poetry books under the Enrichment section are readily available at most libraries, but they do sell a supplemental reading set if you want to buy them upfront. This is where the social studies and science lessons are pulled from. (Think Five in a Row all planned out mixed with Oak Meadow-ish activities.) We have used our library for these. Quite a few of the titles had to be sneaked back because they liked them so much they wanted to keep the books!

The copywork is tied to the Bible story of the week for most of the year. We dropped the copywork because, for mine, the line height is way too large. We dropped the Bible storybook because we have our own that we like better. My boys did enjoy the trial we gave it. They liked drawing a picture to represent the verse they copied.

If you have a math that you like, I see no reason to buy R&S. We enjoyed the ducks in the pond visual and the whole way it presents the early lessons for math. It is a slow moving program which makes it great for a first time experience. Mine liked the included R&S workbooks that break up the sameness.

We did switch to CLE Math only because R&S was too slow for my guys. R&S is also teacher dependent all through the grades. I know for me it was going to be unsustainable long term.

We absolutely LOVE and ADORE this program. It is a perfect fit for us. I think mixing it with MFW K will be overkill and overlap but I am not that up to speed on MWF like you are.

• 1 month later...

We are about 3 scheduled weeks out of finishing MP K. We have loved it. I will be blending it with Oak Meadow 2nd grade this time round for different reasons. I am thinking of using just the phonics and math parts again but everything else from OM.