Menu

old post

Paisley Hedgehog

The public schools in our area spend about $11,000 per child. PER CHILD! That is what makes me shocked and disgusted!

But it doesn't work out to $11,000 spent on each child. Some students cost much, much more. Dh is in special ed, and some students cost ten or twenty times that each year (therapy, one-on-one aids, etc.)

...I can't believe my sister pays $30,000 a year in lower school tuition for two kids (it's a good school, but oh my!) and that tuition is raised slightly each year :tongue_smilie:

For me? I can't believe how pricey the "healthier" foods are...but I am willing to pay.

I can't believe how expensive my electric bill is in summer...wowzer!

I can't believe someone is willing to spend $1800 for a 1yr package (equals 3 full sets) of Lash (yes eyelash) extensions! I can't believe I even know that fact, but a boutique/spa that caters exclusively to lash extensions opened up a few years ago nearby. When the economy hit bottom, I thought---wow, that place will be the first to go under! ...and yet here it is still thriving! :confused:

After schooling and buying things along for 14 years, I don't think I spend that much on curriculum - especially for four kids, one being in high school.

It's the activities/sports that are killing us. When I signed my cute little 4yo dd up for gymnastics, who knew she would be so good at it. Likewise with my other dd and dance, who goes through pointe shoes to the tune of once every two months. Add to that guitar lessons, baseball, and track. Between fees and traveling, our cost for activities/sports easily add up to $1,000 a month.

It is ridiculous, but it's just what we do right now instead of home repairs or a new car.

Brown paper packages tied up with strings;

These are a few of my favorite things.

Cream-colored covers and crisp flashcards--oodles;

Doorbells and stepvans and artbooks with doodles;

Wild geese chases on google's broad wings;

Singapore threads with fierce Saxon bashes;

Reading glasses that stay on my nose and eyelashes;

Comfortable couches with indefatigable springs;

When the dog bites,--get the microscope

When the bee stings,--get the magnifying glass

When I'm feeling sad, (whose got time)

I simply remember my favorite things,

And then I don't feel so bad.

This deserves classic status! sstarsnotquitesuresmilie.gif

I'm looking in the mirror when I say:

HOCKEY

:svengo:

I'm looking in the mirror with you. x2

But it's so worth it. :)

ETA: We turned down an invitation for the traveling Mite team. We had just paid $600 for the rec league fees, and the traveling team was going to be an additional $1200 (4 months). Our budget just didn't allow for it, and DS is only 6 y/o. We figured, if the offer is there for him at 6, it will still be there for him at 7. And the 5 y/o just started playing for a team back in September. He has a long way to go still.

Edited by Hockey Mom

I can't believe how much some spend on new DVDs from Chalk Dust for high school level math. We ordered ours from a book publisher & used from Amazon for 1/10th- 1/5th of the Chalkdust price.

I can't believe how much I spent on Live-Education guides ONLY for 4th, 5th & 6th grades--almost $500 per year. The cost does not include any resource books, recommended books, or literature--just the guides.