Menu

Miep Gies Dies

I heard this on NPR this morning. Even at her advanced age, she still felt she was just a "regular person" who did what any "regular person" would've done. She (ETA:) SAID had done nothing particularly heroic or special. What an amazing woman!

I'm going to add Diary to my reading list again this year. It's been years since I read it. I predict a surge in book sales, as Masterpiece Classic will be airing a new version on April 11th.

Edited by BikeBookBread
she ===> SAID (coffee hasn't kicked in)

She she had done nothing particularly heroic or special. What an amazing woman!

:iagree:

I think that she said that for a couple of reasons. First, she could not fathom herself turning her back on people in dire need no matter what the grave potential cost to herself. She could not have lived with herself if she had made any other choice.

Second, there were other people who hid Jewish people during the war, and their heroism was not recognized on a grand public scale.

This is IMO only. I think she was a woman of remarkable bravery and integrity, and a true hero.

ETA that I just read the article. I think her point that she "was just was just an ordinary housewife and secretary" is well-put. Any of us can be faced with a decision of whether to fight injustice, even ordinary housewives, and make the choice she made. One does not need to be particularly well situated, educated or rich to fight injustice and help people who are being harmed by it. One merely has to be aware of a situation and decide to be the one to help regardless of personal risk or cost. Nor does the injustice have to be on a grand scale or perpetrated by a powerful government -- it can concern ordinary people living ordinary lives.

If that is the case, as I believe it is, then there are many, many people who are everyday heroes. It is incumbent upon us to make the right choices in our daily lives. Who knows how far-reaching the effects will be? What seems like a small thing can be a wonderful catalyst for great things, if one could just unravel the yarn from now back to the past and see how it started. One helps because one can, not because one plans to unravel the yarn and pat themselves on the back for what one has done. There is a lot to be said for doing something because it is simply the right thing to do.

Miep Gies puts an ordinary face on heroism and can inspire us all.

Edited by RoughCollie

Did she appear on the Academy Awards the year Schindler's List won?

She gave that really moving talk about appreciating your families, etc? I think at first they tried to get her off the stage after a sentence or two and then just let her talk and it turned out to be the highlight of the evening.

So sad.

One of my students is reading "The Diary.." for the first time right now. When I read this to everyone this morning, they were so sad. She's been a hero of my dds for some time now.

I agree with the movie Freedom Writers. So good. Also, if you haven't checked it out, check out the Anne Frank movie with Ben Kingsley as Otto Frank. The best one out there in my opinion. It starts out before the war and ends after he returns to Amsterdam to find out what happened to his family. It follows them through the concentration camps.

if you haven't checked it out, check out the Anne Frank movie with Ben Kingsley as Otto Frank. The best one out there in my opinion. It starts out before the war and ends after he returns to Amsterdam to find out what happened to his family. It follows them through the concentration camps.

This movie did a fantastic portrayal of Ms. Gies and the entire AF story.

I taught Anne Frank and Night for years with my 8th graders before becoming a SAHM. I'm so glad that she was able to continue to bless others. Her humility is how we all need to be, IMO.

Thank you for posting this.