Menu

Do you embroider? question...

When you embroider, do you need to embroider over batting or can it just be on a cotton or linen fabric?

And if you trace a pattern, how do you trace it? I put mine in a window and traced over the pattern with a washable marking pen (sewing dept).

Just trying to see if I like embroidery, but a bit confused. ;)

It depends on what you're trying to do. :) Most embroidery is right on the fabric, but if you're wanting to make a wall hanging, maybe a mini quilt, doing the work with a batt on the back will give it a little dimension and hide the tails. What are you working on?

You did the tracing just right.

For beginning embroidery choose a thin fabric such as cotton or handkerchief linen. Drawing you design is a great way to keep your work in perspective. You know where you are going. I draw my designs to ensure proportions are correct.

• Use a hoop
  • Divide six stranded floss into three or two strands
  • Do not pull too tight
  • Take small stitches

Good Luck :001_smile:

I have recently taken up embroidery after decades of cross stitching. I just do it on fabric, usually a cotton. I have recently done some on cotton four sack towels (you can see those on my blog listed below) and I am working on a couple of pillow cases. My dd did some on a blue jean purse and both of my girls have embroidered on muslin and incorporated it into quilts they made in a co-op class.

I use one of those pens like you mentioned and trace the picture like you do if the material is thicker. The flour sack towels are so thin I haven't needed to hold it up to the window.

I am really enjoying this new hobby!

It depends on what you're trying to do. :) Most embroidery is right on the fabric, but if you're wanting to make a wall hanging, maybe a mini quilt, doing the work with a batt on the back will give it a little dimension and hide the tails. What are you working on?

You did the tracing just right.

That tracing sounds so hokey!:blink: But it seems to be the norm. So okay.

I am making a little (finished 6 x 8") Beatitude "love" with some decoration around it from the Ruby online magazine.

I have recently taken up embroidery after decades of cross stitching. I just do it on fabric, usually a cotton. I have recently done some on cotton four sack towels (you can see those on my blog listed below) and I am working on a couple of pillow cases. My dd did some on a blue jean purse and both of my girls have embroidered on muslin and incorporated it into quilts they made in a co-op class.

I use one of those pens like you mentioned and trace the picture like you do if the material is thicker. The flour sack towels are so thin I haven't needed to hold it up to the window.

I am really enjoying this new hobby!

I did cross stitching years ago, but wanted to try this. I like the looks of embroidery better.

Thanks ladies for the answers. I like the looks of hand-quilting, like for instance a picture that was already on fabric, so for that I would add batting for the obvious dimension, otherwise unless I want the dimension for a regular embroidery project, I wouldn't add batting. I just wanted to make sure you can embroider without the batting. The directions weren't clear on whether it was a must. But at some point I'm also going to try that hand quilting as well, as a wall hanging.

For this project, if it turns out :tongue_smilie: (big if), it'll just sit in a little frame as a cross stitch project would.

Has anyone ever embroidered a copy of their kids' drawing pictures? That would be sort cute. Screwed up dimensions and all. Actually, txbloobonnet, your site gave me that idea with the handrawn pics. Very neat. Love the towels too. I like the simple vintage looks of embroidery.

Edited by alilac

You can embroider anything you can get thread through. A friend of mine has a gorgeous embroidered leather handbag. I'm quite envious, actually!

I don't tend to trace, my last few projects have been fairly sturdy linen so I've had to do it more or less by eye.

Rosie

awww, I love embroidery! My daughter and I started when we were studying the middle ages. I stuck with it, she only does the odd hankie when she wants to give one as a gift.

We just jumped right in with a square of linnen and this website to make hankies. http://www.needlenthread.com/ She has short video lessons for every stitch! You just pull up the stitch you want, click on the vid, and watch as she explains the stitch several times as she does it close up. B/c she uses a thick-ish canvas to demonstrate, we chose a thick-ish linnen to start. I think it's better for beginners than thin: easier to work with, easier to remove mistakes, more forgiving for novice fingers, stays in the hoop more securely, et c.

We then moved on to thinner handkerchief linnen.

I then moved on to various projects. I'm really happy with the one I'm working on now which is my most ambitious so far. If I find my dongle thingy I'l post a pic.

To copy, I use a vaiety of methods. For something small and simple I either use light (window, light box) or tracing paper. With tracing paper I have found that i have to spray it with hairspraiy to get it to stay on while I work. I don't use hairspray, though, so I never have it on hand. That makes using tracing paper troubesome but I like the tracing paper lines b/c they wash out neatly. I've tried the fabric pen but obviously I got one that wasn't very good. Pencil doesnt' wash out as easily as I would like. I'll try a different pen on my next project but for now, I've only tried the one.

For my current large project I found the image online, printed it off on transparency, used the overhead to shine it on the wall, hung my fabric with painter's tape, and traced it that way. I needed it to be larger than whatever it was on the computer so that was the only thing I could think of. It worked perfecty but even after threatening ever member of the household, it still got bumped and was a trial to get repositioned. Still, it worked very nicely for using a small pic for a large project.

I hate separating the tread. Why, oh, why, don't they just make it in threes instead of sixes??? On a small project like a hanky, there is very little choice. However, with my big tapestry, I chose a different kind of silk that isn't to be separated. It's thicker and definatey not for a small, delicate project but brother is it more convnient! I wish they'd make a finer version.

I encourage you to visit that site if you have any questions. I think she does a great job of explaining/demonstating the stitches.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

You can embroider anything you can get thread through. A friend of mine has a gorgeous embroidered leather handbag. I'm quite envious, actually!

I don't tend to trace, my last few projects have been fairly sturdy linen so I've had to do it more or less by eye.

Rosie

:ohmy: Oh my!

http://www.needlenthread.com/ She has short video lessons for every stitch! You just pull up the stitch you want, click on the vid, and watch as she explains the stitch several times as she does it close up.

I encourage you to visit that site if you have any questions. I think she does a great job of explaining/demonstating the stitches.

This was hugely helpful! Thanks!!!!!

This looks like as good a place as any to mention my favorite embroidery website, Sublime Stitching. Their motto is "This ain't your gramma's embroidery!" No, it is not.

Love this web-site/company!!

I am using some of her designs on my ds skull quilt. I am embroidering some designs from the Gothic Grandeur and Tattoo Your Towels on the black squares in the quilt I made.

I am not crazy about all her designs, but she does have some fun ones.

There is also http://www.urbanthreads.com for some interesting designs. :)