Menu

Ice in Florida!

What part of FL are you? I'm in Jax and my kids are praying for snow flurries today...but I'm hearing doubtful comments.

We're in Jax too. I reeeeaaally want to see snow flurries LOL! I've been here my whole life and I remember the "big" snow in 1989. I want that again LOL!

I'm about 20 miles south of Ocala, and we had a few snow flurries early this morning.

My ds was fascinated.

I've only been here 10 yrs, but my dh, who has lived here all his life, remembers it snowing back in the late 80's, and sticking on the ground for about 30 mins.

Were you prepared?

In the news yesterday, I saw some pictures of icicles hanging from oranges in the grove - it was unsettling.

When the people in charge of the orange groves know it is going to be below freezing for longer than 4 hours, they will deliberately spray the orange trees with water. The water will freeze and stop the fruit from going below freezing.

If citrus is frozen for longer than 4 hours, they are no longer any good for eating and they can only be used for juice. So prices of citrus and juice will be higher for a long time.

It is still icing off and on here just south of Daytona. I didn't prepare because I didn't believe it would happen!:lol: It's fine, though, just some accumulation on cars and my front steps - none on the roads.

My mother said the last time she remembers it snowing/sleeting for any length of time was in the late 70s.

I saw pictures on the news of two kids playing on their trampoline in the snow that had accumulated. It was dark in the picture, so we missed that this morning!

Guest Virginia Dawn

When I lived in Florida from '77 to '82, puddles froze almost every winter in north Florida, and there was snow at one of my high school football games in November. One year it flurried in Miami.

We're in the lower Keys & it's supposed to be a low of 47 tonight--tying the record from 1951 (our avg. low is 65)!!! It's unheard of that we have this cold for this long.

Dh grew up here & remembers the Miami snow when he was in hs. Even then it wasn't as cold down here.

When I lived in Florida from '77 to '82, puddles froze almost every winter in north Florida, and there was snow at one of my high school football games in November. One year it flurried in Miami.

When I was looking up weather history, it seems that it isn't near as uncommon in N. Florida as it is here. Here, there were flurries last Jan., in 2003, and some accumulation/cold like we have been having in 1989. Before that it was 1977.

I was here in 1988 for the winter and it wasn't that cold. No flurries, no ice, no freezing temps even (that I remember.) I do remember going to the beach on Christmas Day and seeing a friend surf on his new board!:tongue_smilie:

It looks like it may be raining now.

Down here in So Fla praying for snow flurries too! :) It's been drizzling all day and the temp keeps dropping. It's 45 degrees right now. I've lived in Broward County all my life and have only seen it "snow" once when I was in kingergarten in 1977. It looked like slowly falling rain and it it disintegrated mid-air before it hit the ground, but they officially called itsnow. Love to see the real thing though where it actually makes it to the ground and covers it. Maybe this will be our year. :)

I'm in Jax too and I got up early to start looking for snow flurries. LOL

I was a kid when we had the last great "snow" in the 80s and I was just awed.

Did I say I have always lived in Florida? I love the thought of snow!:tongue_smilie:

You Florida people . . . I moved to Jax to get away from the snow. I like to go visit it when I go see my family up north, but I don't want it to follow me here! I don't mind a few days of cold here and there, but I'm definitely ready for some warmer temps. :-)

Come on up here. I have plenty for you. :001_smile:

LOL My dd would love to I'm sure. She is praying so hard for snow. :) I'd like to see it once in my life, but after one time I'm sure I'd have it out of my system. ;) I'm definitely not a cold weather person. :)

Nice to see so many Hillsborough county folks here. :) Most of my family is still in Tampa. :)

My parents live next door to us a few months out of the year. Last month we had a cold snap with the low being nine degrees. My dad had enough :D and they returned to FL Christmas Day. I guess they brought the cold weather with them. It's been warmer here in Oregon's Willamette Valley than where they are in Cocoa. They live in a RV, and my mom said she's freezing to death. :chillpill:

My parents live next door to us a few months out of the year. Last month we had a cold snap with the low being nine degrees. My dad had enough :D and they returned to FL Christmas Day. I guess they brought the cold weather with them. It's been warmer here in Oregon's Willamette Valley than where they are in Cocoa. They live in a RV, and my mom said she's freezing to death. :chillpill:

I live in a 30 year old trailer and *I* am freezing to death!