Menu

Heather in NC are you & yours OK?

Malaysia: Churches firebombed amid Allah dispute

(CNN) -- Attackers firebombed three churches in the southeast Asian nation of Malaysia overnight, assaults that come amid widespread Muslim ire over a court ruling that allowed Christians to use the word Allah as a term for God.

[...]

The three churches attacked were in the Kuala Lumpur region. They are the Metro Tabernacle Church, the Assumption Church and the Life Chapel. The attacks occurred late Thursday night and early Friday.

asta

CNN doesn't know what they are talking about (and evidently "some" Malaysians don't either) because the reportage is simply wrong:

"Muslims believe Allah, an Arabic word, should only be used by Muslims."

Throughout the Arab speaking world the word Allah is used to refer to God, not a the "personal name of God" but just as we use the term God. Allah is used by Arabic-speaking Christians and Muslims alike. The breath of ignorance is staggering.

Bill

CNN doesn't know what they are talking about (and evidently "some" Malaysians don't either) because the reportage is simply wrong:

Throughout the Arab speaking world the word Allah is used to refer to God, not a the "personal name of God" but just as we use the term God. Allah is used by Arabic-speaking Christians and Muslims alike. The breath of ignorance is staggering.

Bill

That was CNN?!

Allah is Arabic which means God, but Indonesian people use this word to refer to God regardless of the religious background. The other word for God is Tuhan which is Indonesian word for God and is also used by all people.

I wonder what's actually happening in Malay, in regards with the word Allah ... DOn't they use this word like Indonesian ? Or is it just politics ?

As for CNN ... it tends to be biased and already get a bad rap from Indonesian or possibly muslims in general... I mean people know they should be cautious with CNN.

Bill

But according to Heather's own thread about it, that is exactly what the local Muslims claimed and what started the whole problem :confused:. I know that's not normally what they believe, but it seems to be the case here....

But according to Heather's own thread about it, that is exactly what the local Muslims claimed and what started the whole problem :confused:. I know that's not normally what they believe, but it seems to be the case here....

You are right. And that is why the court ruled in favor of the christian church's right to use the word. But some extremists disagree and are apparently willing to use violence to make their point.

Throughout the Arab speaking world the word Allah is used to refer to God, not a the "personal name of God" but just as we use the term God. Allah is used by Arabic-speaking Christians and Muslims alike. The breath of ignorance is staggerin

And even if we were talking the "personal name of God", from a religious point of view, it is the same God. Clearly a political, not religious issue.

Bill

Apparently, the militancy is escalating. My husband is Egyptian and I just asked him, "What Arabic word do Egyptian Christians use for God?" He said, "They use Allah, but lately they have been trying to avoid this word in favor of saying the Arabic word for Lord (which is Arrob)."

He also told me about the churchgoers that were shot by Muslims in the south of Egypt (where his family is from).

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2010/01/06/12372081-ap.html

Edited by Sahamamama

I know but CNN is reporting the ignorance of the local Malaysians as if it is the fact without qualification, when it is clearly bone-headed. KWIM?

It's just bad reporting.

Bill

You are right. And that is why the court ruled in favor of the christian church's right to use the word. But some extremists disagree and are apparently willing to use violence to make their point.

Extremism and rationality rarely go together. Stay safe!

Bill

Allah is Arabic which means God, but Indonesian people use this word to refer to God regardless of the religious background. The other word for God is Tuhan which is Indonesian word for God and is also used by all people.

This is different from the common Bahasa Indonesian word TUAN which is mister, sir or lord. They words sound alike and I have seen cases of people mixing them up.