Menu

SOTW Volume 1

MrsMe

This looks rather fun. Can you give me pros and cons with Volume 1? The activity book would also be something I'd buy with it.

How long does it take?

How much work is involved getting the activities and supplies together.

How much work is it for mom?

Trying to get a grip where we're going next after doing American History.

You should be able to search and find lots of threads about this. We did vol. 1 last year w/ a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old tag along. I did it 2 days a week most weeks, but some 3 day weeks. We did not do an involved project every week, but tried to do something most weeks. I usually picked a paper project or crafty type thing for an easy week, and then we picked and chose for the more involved projects and did them less often. There are just too many cool ideas to do them all (for me anyway!) My dds were very proud and excited by the ones we did.

It does take time to do a chapter a week in only 2 days. I would say we spend an hour to an hour and a half each session, including reading one section, discussing w/the comp. questions, having dd give me an oral narration, then copying it in her handwriting, and practicing memory work. (memory suggestions are from WTM, not SOTW, but we do the memory work and practice it each history session.) DDs color the coloring sheet as I am reading aloud.

The 2nd session we do the same as above, plus the mapwork, and maybe an activity. If at all possible we fit the activity into another day. We do all additional reading from the reading lists at different times either as assigned reading to my 7 yr old or as read alouds at bedtime to both girls, depending on the book. We spend the week immersed in whatever topic we are on.

Some chapters are more than 2 sessions, and we have to adjust our schedule. We will either do more than one section for a session, schedule an extra day (easier to do on weeks when we don't have co-op and are home on Fridays) or carry it over into the next week.

For SOTW1, we ended up carrying over many weeks and just went through the summer to finish it up before we started vol. 2 in Aug. for the next year because it is such a long book with 41 or 42 chapters.

How much work for the activities? Depends on which ones you choose! There are usually some simple ones that require mostly paper and paints and glue and cardboard for each chapter. Then there are more involved ones that require adding supplies to your shopping list. I usually look a chapter or two ahead as I am reserving library books from the reading lists to choose which ones we might do and add the stuff to my list. We enjoyed making an archeological dig in our sandbox, cave paintings, a model of a Roman road, a volcano, and many others that were time intensive but worth it.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

You should be able to search and find lots of threads about this. We did vol. 1 last year w/ a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old tag along. I did it 2 days a week most weeks, but some 3 day weeks. We did not do an involved project every week, but tried to do something most weeks. I usually picked a paper project or crafty type thing for an easy week, and then we picked and chose for the more involved projects and did them less often. There are just too many cool ideas to do them all (for me anyway!) My dds were very proud and excited by the ones we did.

It does take time to do a chapter a week in only 2 days. I would say we spend an hour to an hour and a half each session, including reading one section, discussing w/the comp. questions, having dd give me an oral narration, then copying it in her handwriting, and practicing memory work. (memory suggestions are from WTM, not SOTW, but we do the memory work and practice it each history session.) DDs color the coloring sheet as I am reading aloud.

The 2nd session we do the same as above, plus the mapwork, and maybe an activity. If at all possible we fit the activity into another day. We do all additional reading from the reading lists at different times either as assigned reading to my 7 yr old or as read alouds at bedtime to both girls, depending on the book. We spend the week immersed in whatever topic we are on.

Some chapters are more than 2 sessions, and we have to adjust our schedule. We will either do more than one section for a session, schedule an extra day (easier to do on weeks when we don't have co-op and are home on Fridays) or carry it over into the next week.

For SOTW1, we ended up carrying over many weeks and just went through the summer to finish it up before we started vol. 2 in Aug. for the next year because it is such a long book with 41 or 42 chapters.

How much work for the activities? Depends on which ones you choose! There are usually some simple ones that require mostly paper and paints and glue and cardboard for each chapter. Then there are more involved ones that require adding supplies to your shopping list. I usually look a chapter or two ahead as I am reserving library books from the reading lists to choose which ones we might do and add the stuff to my list. We enjoyed making an archeological dig in our sandbox, cave paintings, a model of a Roman road, a volcano, and many others that were time intensive but worth it.

You know I did search it and I didn't get much for volume 1. But I did notice there's two threads since my search a few days ago, which supplied a few links.

My concern is that it's hugely time consuming to put together and possibly on the young side. Plus I want it for a 9 yr old who's not real academic. But she is considerably interested in Pyramids and such. I've never looked into SOTW and can't really get a grip much on this particular volume.

Are the supplies easy to find or is it one of those things where you spend oodles of time trying to find bizzare things?

I don't think the supplies are difficult to find... you can also sub some of them rather easily. I think that most of the guide will work well (not be too young) for a 9 year old. There are some weeks in the last part where the activities are a little off (like stickers, JMO) and some weeks have activities unrelated to the reading, but overall it should work. You might not want an activity every week anyway... some are pretty involved.

I am doing this now, we are on India and Buddhism. I have really been enjoying it and so have my ds7 and ds5. I also have not been doing the crafts/building stuff. I will leave that to the next go around - my kids have got to be part of the process. I have been doing about 45 min. 3x week. Day 1, read the chapter, answer questions, color a page of their own or from the AG. Day 2 + 3 read extra book selections from the library. I try to be about 2 or 3 weeks ahead and request most books from the library online. I bought a separate ancient history map book and we look at that usually before each session. I also have all the history reference books and use them from time to time. Our longest time was spent on the Greek myths. I think we took an extra week for that. The AG has so many great books to choose from.

SOTW is great because you can keep it simple, or go way beyond the text. I am using it for my dd who is 1st grade and we like it a lot, but we do not do all the activities. We do history 2-3 times a week. Each time we read a section and answer the questions. If it's the start of a chapter, we do the map (my dd loves the maps). If we have already done the map, I try to do one of the other activities (in other words, make something). Dd hates to color, so we skip that. I do try to get some of the extra books from the library to read, which we sometimes do together, sometimes she read on her own. I really feel like it does not take much time, unless the craft/project is time consuming.

The difficulty of supplies depends on the project you choose. I love it because often you have 3 to 4 projects to pick from each chapter where some will be easy (items laying around the house) and the others will require a purchase from a craft store or somewhere. When I am able to plan ahead I pick a really cool one, when I can't plan ahead we do an easy one and when we run out of time we leave the project out and move on.

I don't think any require weird, hard to find ingredients. I know we did make the greek homemade stickers for fun, so I had to go out and buy gelatin packets. Sometimes I needed a particular color of paint or air drying clay that I had to add to my list, but nothing weird.

Some are so simple, like make a book for Arshibanipal's library. That I just set them free with a stapler and construction paper, and let them draw. It is just something to cement the story in their minds as they make something with their hands. We did some of the more involved projects like make a Ziggurat out of old food boxes and paint that would be perfect IMO for a 8 or 9 yr old who would be able to do more of it on his own.

I think one of the reasons I love this program is its flexibility. You can do as much or as little in the way of crafts, writing, extra reading, whatever. It is so customizable.

SOTW is great because you can keep it simple, or go way beyond the text. I am using it for my dd who is 1st grade and we like it a lot, but we do not do all the activities. We do history 2-3 times a week. Each time we read a section and answer the questions. If it's the start of a chapter, we do the map (my dd loves the maps). If we have already done the map, I try to do one of the other activities (in other words, make something). Dd hates to color, so we skip that. I do try to get some of the extra books from the library to read, which we sometimes do together, sometimes she read on her own. I really feel like it does not take much time, unless the craft/project is time consuming.

:iagree: This is pretty much what we do. I usually plan out 6-8 chapters at a time, for T-W-Th lessons. I figure out how I'm going to break the chapter down (usually a chapter is broken into 2 parts, taking 2 days). For the first 2 days we read, review, and narrate. On the 3rd day we do one of the crafts (depending upon the level of intensity) or we enjoy the books suggested from the reading list (ds LOVES to read/be read to). On the 2nd or 3rd day we also do the map or a coloring page (my ds likes to color, sometimes while I'm reading). I would say our lessons last about 20-30 minutes with the 3rd day being longer due to the craft or extra reading. We love SOTW here!

So what about mom time? Any planning other than getting materials together? It's not like a unit study like Konos where you have to put it all together is it?
Well there are lots of extra books listed for each chapter and it is up to you to decide from there. It may be at your library, maybe not. It may be 30 pages, it may be 200 pages, and they are not scheduled. Is it appropriate for the age of your kids? (The AG for Ancients covers 1st through 4th grade, The AG for modern covers 4th through 8th.)

Many people consider it pick-up and just go with the flow for the extra reading, making a library trip once a week, getting as much as they can and not reading it all, or letting it go into the next week... and using an encyclopedia if they can't find appropriate books.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

SOTW is pick up and go. EVERYTHING is all planned out for you in the activity guide all I do...

Ahead of time is...

Put books on hold at library and go pick them up

Make copies of student map & coloring pages (if you only have one child or buy the student pages set you don't even have to do that)

Choose craft and have supplies ready

During classtime...

Have them listen to the audio CD (if you don't have this you would read to them)

Guide them in the map work (this could easily be done independently)

Ask the questions listed in the activity guide

Listen to narrations

Guide the craft

It really is so easy and a great program. We take a little longer becuase we tie SOTW 1 to MFW CtG, if it was difficult I wouldn't be doing it. My 3 boys absolutely love it!

I haven't done it with DD yet, but I have read the whole book myself. As far as possibly being too young, let me just say that I picked it up at the library, thinking I'd just read a chapter or two, skim it, and decide if we might like it. Well, I started at the beginning and was immediately hooked! I read through to the end, learned things, and thoroughly enjoyed it:) I wouldn't hesitate to use it for an 8 or 9 year old.

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked (and answered) ad nauseum ;), but since this thread came up here, I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Would you do SOTW 1 with a first grader and a pre-K-er (who simply won't be left out of anything :))? DD1 will be six in May and DD2 will be 5 in November, if that helps.

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked (and answered) ad nauseum ;), but since this thread came up here, I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Would you do SOTW 1 with a first grader and a pre-K-er (who simply won't be left out of anything :))? DD1 will be six in May and DD2 will be 5 in November, if that helps.

I wouldn't. I would wait and use it for when the youngest is in first grade.

We're doing SOTW1 with some friends. Combined, we have kids that are 4.5, 6, 7 & 12 (plus a toddler and infant hanging around). We've just started, but so far there's something there for everyone.

This week we had the kids do cave paintings -- on the wall, by candlelight -- and even the two year old was having a blast with it, and enjoyed telling us his story afterwards! :D

I did. I didn't mean to, but it happened. I started SOTW with my first grader (and actually started it a bit early), and when we were about half way through the book, her 4yo brother wanted to join in. So he got his own coloring page and listens while coloring, just like she does. It's made it a much richer experience, because a lot of their imaginative play centers around history (finding King Tut's mummy, being gladiators, etc.). I don't require anything of him - no narrations, no mapwork, I don't expect a lot of retention - but he enjoys listening to the story and the additional reading, and he likes to do the projects.

I've been rolling this around in my mind, too. My DD will be 1st grade next year (6 this April) and DS will be Pre-K (turning 5 in Jan. '11). I thought about waiting until DS is older but then my younger DS would be the Pre-K'er. So I think I'm going to start it when they are ages 6, 4, and 2. Then start the cycle again at ages 10, 8, and 6. I figure by graduation, we'll still have covered everything and it'll all work out!!

For next year, I intend to let him listen to the story or not, whatever he chooses, then read whatever library books I can find that are more geared for his age, color a picture, do an activity. He'll just remember whatever he remembers and catch the rest the second time around!!

Watching this thread for ideas...:)

Thanks everyone. Your info has been very helpful. Other than picking the activity and getting some books, it seems doable.

I don't like this era, but dd loves it and after reading the AG it looks like it's made to be very interesting!

We're doing SOTW1 with some friends. Combined, we have kids that are 4.5, 6, 7 & 12 (plus a toddler and infant hanging around). We've just started, but so far there's something there for everyone.

This week we had the kids do cave paintings -- on the wall, by candlelight -- and even the two year old was having a blast with it, and enjoyed telling us his story afterwards! :D

How fun! :)

Yeah, that is cool....by candelight. Way cool!

We have a 9, 8 and 5 year old inour home and we do SOTW...and our 5 year loves it every bit as much as the older kids....he listens to the story, colors the page when he wants to and he loves answering questions at the supper table when we talk to Daddy about our history class. He is learning right along with them...it is nothing but GREAT!!!

Guest mrs. logic
This looks rather fun. Can you give me pros and cons with Volume 1? The activity book would also be something I'd buy with it.

How long does it take?

How much work is involved getting the activities and supplies together.

How much work is it for mom?

Trying to get a grip where we're going next after doing American History.

SOTW is a flexible, parent/child friendly curriculum.

Susan has done an excellant job organizing the book/activity book.

I would suggest begining preparation a week before you plan on starting. This will give you a feel for the chapters, allow you to decide what activities you would like to do and the time to gather the materials needed. Because of the way SOTW is organized the parent prep time is short. When Dd and I started Volume 1 four years ago I think I spent maybe 30 to 45 minutes preparing for the week.

One thing I will mention is Dd had just turned 6 yo when we began SOTW. She liked the "narrative storybook" format, but due to immaturity was unable to handle some of the historical scenes, such as the Roman gladiators. We ended up switching to "A Child's History of the World" by V.M. Hillyer which was a better fit for her. We are planning to utilize SOTW with her in Grades 5-8 as it is an excellant follow up to Hillyer's book. I have written a review of the curriculum at www.rainbowresource.com if you would like to read it.

Have fun with world history! :)

I don't plan on using SOTW, but I do want do the 4 yr cycle. I've been thinking about waiting until ds1 is 7yrs and ds2 is 5yrs, but I don't want ds1 to miss out on learning, he's especially interested in the ancients right now. So I'm :bigear: for some more advice from those that have BTDT.

I don't plan on using SOTW, but I do want do the 4 yr cycle. I've been thinking about waiting until ds1 is 7yrs and ds2 is 5yrs, but I don't want ds1 to miss out on learning, he's especially interested in the ancients right now. So I'm :bigear: for some more advice from those that have BTDT.

:lurk5: I'm thinking the same thing...

SOTW is a flexible, parent/child friendly curriculum.

Susan has done an excellant job organizing the book/activity book.

I would suggest begining preparation a week before you plan on starting. This will give you a feel for the chapters, allow you to decide what activities you would like to do and the time to gather the materials needed. Because of the way SOTW is organized the parent prep time is short. When Dd and I started Volume 1 four years ago I think I spent maybe 30 to 45 minutes preparing for the week.

One thing I will mention is Dd had just turned 6 yo when we began SOTW. She liked the "narrative storybook" format, but due to immaturity was unable to handle some of the historical scenes, such as the Roman gladiators. We ended up switching to "A Child's History of the World" by V.M. Hillyer which was a better fit for her. We are planning to utilize SOTW with her in Grades 5-8 as it is an excellant follow up to Hillyer's book. I have written a review of the curriculum at www.rainbowresource.com if you would like to read it.

Have fun with world history! :)

Thanks this was helpful. I'll go read the review!.