Menu

Very Informative Link if You Want Info RE: HOMEBIRTH

loved that movie. Could have done without the naked Ricki Lake shots, :lol: but great, great, great movie. Totally think every pregnant woman should see it. Not even to try and convince them to homebirth, but just to open their eyes as to the business side of the aspect, so that they are aware of what is going on while they are in the hospital.

Thanks for sharing Mariann! I would love to watch it. Where did you see it from? I saw you can get it on Netflix, but we do not have a membership.

Hi, Danielle: I was channel-surfing in the wee hours :closedeyes: and I think I saw it on SHOWTIME (we are still in the extended stay hotel so we have SHO). But if you check out the website, perhaps they have a network viewing schedule -- I've done Netflix on and off for the kids and unless I am mistaken, it's easy to join - and then you could suspend your membership after you've viewed the documentary. You might also see if it is For Sale on their website or on Amazon or on Ebay.

I was going to email you with the info, but now that I know you've seen it here, I'll get in touch with you next week. DH wants me to plan our OBX trip, asked if I knew when you all would be there.

Rest up! Love to your family! Mariann

I've not seen the movie, but I did just watch the trailer and caught a misleading "fact".

"The US has the second worst newborn death rate in the developed world" is misleading because not all countries count infant mortality the way the US does. If a baby takes a breath of air then dies, it is counted in the US as an infant mortality.

Some countries wait until children are as old as 2 before they are counted in the infant mortality rate. So they could be having many more children die right after birth and just not be reporting it.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly.

I wish I'd educated myself more on birth before we had our first dc. I keep thinking it would have gone much differently. (36hr labor, c/s, long, horrible recovery) My dh, on the other hand, is convinced dd and I would have both died if it weren't for the hospital. Who knows? But more info would have been good, that's for sure.

As much as I am a huge homebirth advocate (all of my children were born at home), you are correct. (I am an atheist, so I am not talking theology).

However. Most countries start the 'death count' at much later ages, so our death rate is skewed. 22 (not sure the exact number) week pregnancy deaths, fi, in may countries are considered miscarriages. The US does not consider these deaths miscarriages if the baby is born and breathes. Gestational age is not a huge factor, or if the baby dies 20 seconds later. We count very premature babies in with our death toll. If a country is only counting newborn deaths past full term pregnancies or more, their live birth numbers will be much higher than ours.

I've not seen the movie, but I did just watch the trailer and caught a misleading "fact".

"The US has the second worst newborn death rate in the developed world" is misleading because not all countries count infant mortality the way the US does. If a baby takes a breath of air then dies, it is counted in the US as an infant mortality.

Some countries wait until children are as old as 2 before they are counted in the infant mortality rate. So they could be having many more children die right after birth and just not be reporting it.

I wish I'd educated myself more on birth before we had our first dc. I keep thinking it would have gone much differently. (36hr labor, c/s, long, horrible recovery) My dh, on the other hand, is convinced dd and I would have both died if it weren't for the hospital. Who knows? But more info would have been good, that's for sure.

Edited by LibraryLover

We have similar histories -- I am convinced I would have died if it weren't for the hospital -- my maternal grandmother died in childbirth with my mom -- my family has an awful history. That being said, I found it fascinating to watch the process take place probably the way it is intended to take place if all systems are working the way they should. Alas, with my first, I dilated all of 2cm in 40 hours, so all my hopes of natural childbirth were dashed -- like you, a c/s, long recovery (labor PLUS a section makes for a very long, difficult recovery). I went on to have 4 other children - three more c-sections (one set of twins) -- I guess that it is what it is -- My sister is an ob/gyn......if something bad starts to happen in a delivery, I truly want everything available to promote a good outcome.

Mariann

This movie has done SO much for women in our country. It's not about making them choose homebirth, it's about informing them so they know there are options!

Since the movie has come out we have had quite a number of clients come to us saying things like, "I saw the movie BoBB and decided this was the best option for me." Many of them have been first time parents.

And it's also very helpful for the skeptical family members. Those who just don't get why their loved one is choosing to birth out of the hospital. After they watch it, even if they don't agree, they understand the decision little better.

Another great one to watch is "Pregnant in America".

This movie has done SO much for women in our country. It's not about making them choose homebirth, it's about informing them so they know there are options!

Since the movie has come out we have had quite a number of clients come to us saying things like, "I saw the movie BoBB and decided this was the best option for me." Many of them have been first time parents.

And it's also very helpful for the skeptical family members. Those who just don't get why their loved one is choosing to birth out of the hospital. After they watch it, even if they don't agree, they understand the decision little better.

Another great one to watch is "Pregnant in America".

:iagree: My child bearing days are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind me, and I loved watching this (well, :glare: a little more Ricki Lake information than I would have cared to see, but the documentary was SO well done).

I loved watching the birth process the way nature intended it to be, and I loved watching women experience that joy! Honestly, I've never spent more than a nanosecond regretting that I've had one emergency c-section and three planned ones...my history is what it is and we are all here and healthy and that's that.

The film was excellent :iagree: in articulating to others why one would consider an out of hospital birth --I was also skeptical of the statistics mentioned (points that were well made here) but my true impression of the film had to do with the positive manner in which it portrayed the birth process -- and b/c we had been discussing how to present the idea to family members who might not be forthcoming to the idea, I thought it was an excellent venue to initiate that discussion with family.

Mariann

As much as I am a huge homebirth advocate (all of my children were born at home), you are correct. (I am an atheist, so I am not talking theology).

However. Most countries start the 'death count' at much later ages, so our death rate is skewed. 22 (not sure the exact number) week pregnancy deaths, fi, in may countries are considered miscarriages. The US does not consider these deaths miscarriages if the baby is born and breathes. Gestational age is not a huge factor, or if the baby dies 20 seconds later. We count very premature babies in with our death toll. If a country is only counting newborn deaths past full term pregnancies or more, their live birth numbers will be much higher than ours.

I think you will find that most Western/first world countries count the births/deaths the same as the US. The gestational age where a birth counts as a birth not a miscarriage may be different by a week or two between countries. In Australia a miscarriage is before 20 weeks and a still birth is after 20 weeks.

"most" countries are third world and therefore your "most" may indeed be correct. But we should compare apples with apples I think and therefore it's still a stat worthy of consideration given you are comparing yourselves to Europe and Australia/New Zealand etc.

Edited by keptwoman

I think you will find that most Western/first world countries count the births/deaths the same as the US.

"most" countries are third world and therefore your "most" may indeed be correct. But we should compare apples with apples I think and therefore it's still a stat worthy of consideration given you are comparing yourselves to Europe and Australia/New Zealand etc.

If you thought I was defending our sad birthing culture in the US, I wasn't. The whole way we handle birth, in general, in the US, is not my cup of tea. Many women are robbed of respectful birth experiences. The screaming of PUSHPUSHPUSH as shown in media drives me insane. Many don't know there's a kinder ,safer way.

I know people often say they or their babies would be dead without this interventon and I am not going to argue with them. Sometimes that's true and I won't make such a call.

Edited by LibraryLover

If you thought I was defending our sad birthing culture in the US, I wasn't. The whole way we handle birth, in general, in the US, is not my cup of tea. Many women are robbed of respectful birth experiences. The screaming of PUSHPUSHPUSH as shown in media drives me insane. Many don't know there's a kinder ,safer way.

I know people often say they or their babies would be dead without this interventon and I am not going to argue with them.

No I didn't think you were defending it. And FWIW I don't believe that Australias birthing culture is any better. Very medical/OB oriented and they are doing their best to make homebirth impossible which makes my blood boil.

NZ on the other hand is WONDERFUL with midwife led care the norm and lots of home visits etc. Homebirth is common and funded the same as hospital birth. It's very holistic.

But I do think that it's easy to write off those stats that make the US look bad as "we count it better than everyone else" when as far as stillbirths and the western world is concerned that's simply not true.

I had my first home birth 12 days ago - and it's the best birthing decision I've ever made. I had thought about having a home birth before watching the BOBB, but after seeing the movie, I was sold.

My Christmas baby was born in the comfort of our home, I had wonderful prenatal (and post partum) care, and I'm recovering well.

We count it differently. And I would say that poverty in the US (lack of excellent prenatal care for the poor) is more like a thrid world country than NZ, say.

Of course, you know what happens if you start talking health care as a right. ;) Nobody *deserves* good birth outcomes.

No I didn't think you were defending it. And FWIW I don't believe that Australias birthing culture is any better. Very medical/OB oriented and they are doing their best to make homebirth impossible which makes my blood boil.

NZ on the other hand is WONDERFUL with midwife led care the norm and lots of home visits etc. Homebirth is common and funded the same as hospital birth. It's very holistic.

But I do think that it's easy to write off those stats that make the US look bad as "we count it better than everyone else" when as far as stillbirths and the western world is concerned that's simply not true.

And I would say that poverty in the US (lack of excellent prenatal care for the poor) is more like a thrid world country than NZ, say.

Well yes. Hence the stats. But it still makes more sense to line yourselves up against the stats of other wealthy countries than poor countries surely?

i loved that movie! I had a hospital birth at 22, with dd, with an epi ( iwas so scared and so convinced i HAD to be induces. )

learned the second time still had a hospital birht, ALL NATURAL! LOVED IT

#3...when i convince DH :) HOMEBIRTH!!!!!! ive already made up my mind.