Menu

BJU Biology question and other Biology questions

Hello

My oldest ds who will be in 8th grade will be taking Biology this fall. Much to my dismay the academic classes section of our homeschool group will not allow any 8th graders to take classes. :glare::glare: So that changes things for me.

He is taking Apologia General (we are skipping physical because we covered that existensivly in the previous year) right now and will go on to Biology this fall.

Several moms in the homeschool group said not to use Apologia for Biology (or any other high school subjects for that matter). So I need to see what is out there before stickign with Apologia. I like the fact it is self teaching with the exception of Discussion time re: on your own questions which is not a problem with me at all or even the labs. I like doing them. Anyway there were several postings about BJU science on the k-8th board.

I am asking you for input. I saw the BJUpress website the prices of Homesat and the DVDs. The prices includes the essential textbooks. Is this reall true? I do see if I decide to go with BJU that I will use the DVD option not the homesat. I do not have the money to buy the required equipment for one subject at all. Is this program really extenstive as the Apologia program?

Any pros or cons about BJU? Are there any other Christian Biology materials I should consider before going with Apologia or BJU?

Thanks so much-

Holly

I teach a high school biology course for our home school tutorial. (Btw- we admit 8th graders! Sorry you aren't around here!) I was just asked why I chose the text I did for next year and why not Apologia or BJU. I'll copy part of my answer here:

Reasons I didn't choose Apologia:

Experiment integrated into the text (the text goes on right after the experiment and tells the student what they should have seen and learned.)

Some find it too wordy

Not as winsome as I'd like in the "evolution" section (my personal opinion)

Omits human anatomy and physiology (relegates it to separate text)

Reason I didn't do BJU Bio:

Paperback books are inexpensive, but won't hold up for resale (something important to many people)

VERY preachy in the evolution/creation section. Espouses a 7-day, young earth model for creation and flatly states no other view of creation is viable for Bible-believing Christians.

I find the evangelistic tone overall in the book off-putting. I personally don't think the salvation message needs to be included throughout the text, but that's just me. ;-)

I also looked at several other secular texts. I settled on Prentice Hall's Biology for several reasons:

-I thought it was well-written, colorful, and interesting.

-The contents are thorough enough to be used as an honors text if desired.

-I like the way the student text is laid out.

-While evolutionary in content, the language of the books isn't so steeped in it to be useless for the Christian home schooler. Plus, being exposed to evolutionary thought and language will help students take entrance tests, CLEP, or SAT Subject tests. I skip the main evolution chapters (mainly due to time) but I encourage my parents to have their students read through the chapters. PH Biology has a good chapter in there that basically covers microevoultion that I am looking forward to teaching next year.

-Plenty of teacher materials available.

-Pearson (parent company of Prentice Hall) is very home schooler friendly, allowing home schoolers to buy student text as "guest buyers" off the site with a credit card. They also allow home schoolers to register through their Oasis program and purchase teacher's materials. It is one of the few main stream publishers to do this.

Oasis

I hope this helps!

thanks...

So if I am a 7 day creationist literalist (young earth) BJU would be ok for me? I am against evolution being taught as fact but ok with it being taught in theory due to the knowledge needed.

About apologia....evolution talk not being winsome...Can you explain that one to me? Sorry I am not understanding what winsome means. I think I do but need clarification on that.

Thank you so much for your input.

Holly

We started out in an online Biology class through the school district. We didn't like the bouncing around to different web pages. I found we kept on going to the BJU text I had purchased at a used book sale. So, we opted out of the online class after 2 unit modules and dove into the BJU. I had to order the tests, answer key, and lab manual along with the textbook, but it has been great. I was a biology-wiz in high school (took three out of four years and won a biology scholarship), and I say BJU is fabulous for general biology. They cover the same scope and sequence as the online class.

The creation section is heavy on what Carrie said, but he had had so MUCH evolution (overboard IMHO) in the 2 unit secular course that it was really nice to balance it out. If you are concerned about the new earth versus old earth, you can supplement in that section.

After I had made the decision, I went to a gathering and there were some seasoned homeschoolers there. The dad was a scientist, and he said that, hands down, he thought BJU was the best on the Christian homeschool scene even though his wife used Apologia through high school for their kids.

We also talked to friends who homeschooled their kids overseas while she taught high school in the international school there. They did not like Apologia and switched to an online option. I think it was called Northstar Academy. They were disappointed that NSA had switched to Apologia when their oldest son graduated though.

Just my .02, and I only commented on BJU because that is all I know besides the online class that was a disaster!

While I agree with Carrie's critique of Apologia biology, none of those reasons were enough to keep us from using the text. :) I facilitated labs for an Apologia biology class; the parents were ultimately responsible for ensuring their dc learned the material, administering tests and assigning grades.

Experiment integrated into the text (the text goes on right after the experiment and tells the student what they should have seen and learned.)

True, but the students still seemed to enjoy the experiments. Additionally, most of the *experiments* involves microscope work with prepared slides or dissections. I also felt the explanation and color photos helped the students write their lab reports. For many, it was there first experience keeping a solid lab notebook.

Some find it too wordy Probably true. Again, not a complaint I heard from the students. I appreciate that Apologia teaches directly to the student, but that's my preference and YMMV.

Not as winsome as I'd like in the "evolution" section (my personal opinion) We used the video Unlocking the Mystery of Life to look at the evidence on evolution/intelligent design.

Omits human anatomy and physiology (relegates it to separate text) Yes and I love A & P! But since your ds is completing General Science this year, he just studied lots of human anatomy.

Haven't used BJU so I can't compare for you. I found Apologia very user-friendly

HTH,

Lisa

Hi Holly,

I'll try to answer some of your questions. First, I don't have any experience with BJU SAT nor their dvds. I do salivate over the dvds, but that is far as I get. LOL!!

As for the scope of what is covered in BJU Biology, well it is much more than Apologia's biology. It covers from cell biology to human anatomy. Apologia doesn't cover anatomy. However, I would hesitate to let an 8th grader use this book unless they are very science minded. My 9th grade ds could not get through the book, so I did cross over to Apologia. Your ds will do well with BJU Biology if he has a good grasp of memorizing terminology and can grasp concepts such as osmosis, photosynthesis, cell division, mitosis, meiosis, semipermiable membrane, etc. My major in college was Wildlife and Fisheries Science, so I had to take many biology courses. I put the Bob Jones Biology book as being pretty close to a college freshman biology book. It still isn't as in depth as my Helene Curtis text, but it is a solid biology course. I do know of some home school parents taking their time with this book, and you could easily spread it out over two years since you are starting it with an 8th grader.

Spoiler: My ds got bogged down in the cellular biology section of BJU's book. I have heard on good authority that most students will bog down in this section. If you truly want to use the text, then hang in there with your student. Apparently the rest of the book gets better. Unfortunately we gave up at that point and switched to Apologia. I began at the beginning of Apologia's book, so we actually spent months on cell biology. However, I took a cell biology course in college, and I enjoyed cell biology then and still do. I'm not so sure about ds. LOL!!

If you need a good microscope then get yours through Sonlight. I love ours.

Blessings,

Jan

Hello

He is taking Apologia General (we are skipping physical because we covered that existensivly in the previous year) right now and will go on to Biology this fall.

I am asking you for input. I saw the BJUpress website the prices of Homesat and the DVDs. The prices includes the essential textbooks. Is this reall true? I do see if I decide to go with BJU that I will use the DVD option not the homesat. I do not have the money to buy the required equipment for one subject at all. Is this program really extenstive as the Apologia program?

Any pros or cons about BJU? Are there any other Christian Biology materials I should consider before going with Apologia or BJU?

Thanks so much-

Holly

I'm using Apologia Biology with my 8th grader now, and it's a good fit. IMHO, you don't need a class for Apologia - that's the beauty of it, in that it can be done at home.

I'm even considering doing BJU Biology for 10th instead of Apologia's Advanced Biology. BJU is very thorough in general, but probably too much to use for 8th (or even 9th, for most).

I don't understand what you mean when you said, "Is this for real?" about the dvds. $399 seems *outrageously* high to me! (Although I really, really want them!!) You are getting the books to keep, but you're only leasing the dvds. Is the 3rd edition out on dvd yet?

I don't understand what you mean when you said, "Is this for real?" about the dvds. $399 seems *outrageously* high to me! (Although I really, really want them!!) You are getting the books to keep, but you're only leasing the dvds. Is the 3rd edition out on dvd yet?

I didn't know if the price was good or not but I guess not since you do not keep the DVDs.

hhmmm that does put things into perspective for me. I still haven't decided though but I am leaning more towards Apologia and he can just take 2 yrs of Biology (Biology and Biology 2 which is the AP biology). I really do not have time to actually teach like BJU requires without the dvds.

I still have to think about this. hhmmm

Thanks

Holly

I'm planning to use Apologia with my rising 9th grade son next year; I'm planning to use the syllabus from Mother of Divine Grace Academy, which combines Apologia Biology with Natural History...my husband wants to get my son a good microscope for his birthday (May 3), so we'll focus on the microscope labs, with the dissection, too (he's already done some dissection in a co-op and loved it...)

I'm using HomeSat for Biology right now. I would really encourage you to do either the DVDs or the satellite -- the teacher is absolutely fabulous! My daughter just adores her, and dh and I are pretty smitten with her, as well. She is just amazing. She really has a knack for getting the kids to up wide, so to speak, while she pours the information into them. My daughter is learning so much more than I ever learned when I took biology, and she is retaining it.

(Right now you can get the satellite equipment for only $50, and there is a 30% discount on the course for new customers if you order at the same time you order the equipment. Still, they are raising their rates on the monthly subscription, and it will be $49.99/month next year, so the DVDs would still be cheaper in the long run if you will only be using it for one course.)

The satellite is worth it to me because I have my daughter in a couple of other live classes (both of which are excellent, as well). They grant permission for you to use your recordings with your future kids, as long as they are only used with the people in your own household. Also, they have online forums for satellite users, where the kids can interact with other kids in their classes, and they are allowed to e-mail the teachers as often as needed.

It was a huge experiment for us, going with the satellite. I was considering using the DVDs, but talking to a rep at a convention last spring convinced me to try the satellite. I am pleased enough that we will be using it for here on out, at least for the high school science, math, and foreign language classes.

(If it helps any, my father was a high school biology teacher for years, and he thoroughly approves of the BJU text. He is very pleased with the biology education his granddaughter is receiving.);)

thanks...

So if I am a 7 day creationist literalist (young earth) BJU would be ok for me? I am against evolution being taught as fact but ok with it being taught in theory due to the knowledge needed.

About apologia....evolution talk not being winsome...Can you explain that one to me? Sorry I am not understanding what winsome means. I think I do but need clarification on that.

Thank you so much for your input.

Holly

Holly,

You may be very happy with the 7-day creationist stance of BJU. I think BJU is a thorough biology text. Those caveats I mentioned make the book unusable for me, but obviously, others don't have a problem with BJU's approach. Since I am teaching students from 15 to 20 different families, I must be sensitive to varying beliefs, even though they are all from Christian backgrounds. I teach from an Intelligent Design perspective, which is not synonymous with a 7 day creationist approach. I leave the age of the earth up to the families to decide.

Winsome means with humility and respect for the other perspective. I thought Wile lacked that in the module on evolution. I also think human anatomy and physiology is an essential for high school biology, and I don't think most students are going to want to take an entire year of it. That, and the integrated experiments make it just as unusable for my situation as BJU.

Blessings

Carrie

Thanks for the answers.

I have to say though this is the toughest decision I have ever come across in curriculam selection. I still haven't made up my mind. ha ha Everything have been very easy up until now. I didn't realize high school selection would be this hard.

Thanks for your help-

Holly

I didn't know if the price was good or not but I guess not since you do not keep the DVDs.

hhmmm that does put things into perspective for me. I still haven't decided though but I am leaning more towards Apologia and he can just take 2 yrs of Biology (Biology and Biology 2 which is the AP biology). I really do not have time to actually teach like BJU requires without the dvds.

I still have to think about this. hhmmm

Thanks

Holly

But the HomeSat is a better deal, especially if you'd use other subjects, or science for other kids.

I'd prefer to use BJU, it just isn't cost-effective for me right now. I do think BJU is more thorough, but we'll get there. Or use advanced Apologia courses.

Don't let me scare you off BJU! I just don't like their dvd price, that's all.

But the HomeSat is a better deal, especially if you'd use other subjects, or science for other kids.

I'd prefer to use BJU, it just isn't cost-effective for me right now. I do think BJU is more thorough, but we'll get there. Or use advanced Apologia courses.

Don't let me scare you off BJU! I just don't like their dvd price, that's all.

I understand. I will look at both at the convention this April (Indianapolis, IN). I do like the fact that my ds can take one year of Biology with BJU then go to Marine Biology for Apologia (both of my boys want to take Marine Biology) so that will cut down the load of having to do 2 years of Biology.

The price is steep though with BJU. hhmmm So homesat will not be worth it if I just use the biology one for my oldest ds, correct?

I think both BJU and Apologa Biology are very good programs. My beef with Apologia is you have to take 2 years of Biology to get the full program but yet my ds can do this by himself except the discussion of On your own questions and labs which we will do together. BJU has the benefit of a full 1 yr Biology program which means we can easily fit Marine biology and still add Chemistry and physics just fine but the price is high if I want help in teaching it (either with Homesat or DVD). My SIL is using Homesat so I do need to talk to her about her dish. Is this something she can sell to me at a cheap price or not?

Also somebody said that Homesat is on sale right now (the dish) but how long will that last? I do not plan on buying any Biology materials until end of June.

Thanks-

Holly

Just thinking of all options.

So homesat will not be worth it if I just use the biology one for my oldest ds, correct?

Also somebody said that Homesat is on sale right now (the dish) but how long will that last? I do not plan on buying any Biology materials until end of June.

Well, that depends. It is truly a fabulous class -- I guess it just depends on how much money you have to spend. For me, I can't see that it would be worth it for just one child and just one class (the quality of the class *is* worth it -- me spending such a large percentage of dh's pay on one class is *not*, though). Even with the dish at $50, the monthly subscription is also $50, and with classes running from August through May, those two things already add up to $550 (before you even buy the textbooks). So for just one course, the DVDs would be cheaper.

The sale on the equipment will be good at least through the summer. (My information actually says Dec 31, but I think that may be a typo, as last year it ended, ummm, on August 31, I think.)

with a 7th grader (we stopped 'cause as it turns out I'm going to do a lab co-op next year for our group using that text as a base:)

The thing is, I don't think that Apologia Bio and Advanced Bio have to take 2 full years. Unless I'm reading it wrong, the MODG syllabus, which I am considering for the fall, does the 1st book and 8 weeks of nature study in only 24 weeks. Maybe they left some stuff out, though??

Even the very non-classical, non-science people here seem to block schedule these courses for 1 semester which is what made me look at them for jr. high.

hth,

Georgia

The thing is, I don't think that Apologia Bio and Advanced Bio have to take 2 full years. hth,

Georgia

How can this be? And I just ask this in general? How can any high school biology class take less than a year?

My dh and I have been planning out a hs bio class and we are hard pressed to squeeze it all in one year. We are looking at PH Biology (Miller/Levine) and making sure we cover everything that is on the SAT Bio subject test. It is a lot!

Well, I suppose you could read the material fast. But, could you actually master/memorize/internalize all of that material?

:confused:Curious,

Holly

Georgia,

Will you assign a high school science credit for Biology covered in 7th and/or 8th grades?

Thanks!

Nope, I can't cause of the NCAA thing. :( However I would definitely give her credit for Bio and Alg I and her Latin tutorial that she be doing this fall in 8th if I could.

I think a lot of people do their transcripts grouped by subject and not year so it's not even an issue. Besides, quite a lot of ps kids here take Alg I and Bio in the 8th now and some even do Alg I in the 7th. It might depend on the college though...

hth,

georgia

How can this be? And I just ask this in general? How can any high school biology class take less than a year?

My dh and I have been planning out a hs bio class and we are hard pressed to squeeze it all in one year. We are looking at PH Biology (Miller/Levine) and making sure we cover everything that is on the SAT Bio subject test. It is a lot!

Well, I suppose you could read the material fast. But, could you actually master/memorize/internalize all of that material?

:confused:Curious,

Holly

Well, in the PS high schools around here ALL history and sciences are blocked into 1 semester as far as I know. Isn't this pretty common now? My oldest has almost exclusively done block scheduling for HS.

I guess it's all in how you do it? And frankly I don't think Apologia very difficult but that's certainly just my opinion. My last dd will probably use more Apologia then my 1st dd because she is such a fine arts gal.:001_smile:

We have 2 afternoons each week where we do blocks of science exclusively and with light reading on two other days we got through ok... Plus my younger two will listen to the Apologia audios for fun at bedtime, hehe.

I think our Science schedule might look like this...

Starting now (7th) and running through the summer - Science Roots and heavy 4H science hands-on-stuff with assigned reading on various topics (She is doing 4H Horticulture right now)

8th -MODG Nat Hist and Apologia Bio w/co-op labs, plus continue heavy 4H Life science load

9th - Apologia Marine Bio for 20 weeks, her choice for 20 weeks, maybe do Master Gardner here?

10th - Chemistry, Maybe do parts of the Kamana Naturalist Program here?

11th - Campbells Bio for the AP or Sat II prep

12th -Physics

But who knows - in the past month I have completely changed everything for her HS years!

hth,

Georgia

About Biology taking 1 semester....

Yes it can be done because I did it. I took one Biology course in one semester as Biology 1 and then the 2nd semester was Biology 2 which was human anatomy.

I am not sure with Apologia though if we can do that...Biology 1 taken in one semester and Biology 2 taken in the 2nd semester. I think it would easy due to the fact we homeschool year round....

Holly

Nope, I can't cause of the NCAA thing. :( However I would definitely give her credit for Bio and Alg I and her Latin tutorial that she be doing this fall in 8th if I could.

hth,

georgia

Oh never mind, lol. After reading the other thread and what Jane etc. said I realized that I'm an idiot! :D

I guess you can't even do that here and well, like half the support group here does or is... hehe.

But we can't anyway so that's a good thing! My youngest DD will actually probably be a good enough swimmer to at least swim as a walk-on so I guess it's a moot point for her too.

georgia

Did the other moms tell you their reasons for avoiding Apologia for high school? I have a lot of friends who used it for high school, and their children have done fine in college.

I personally like the fact that A&P is a separate course from biology. My h.s. had a very full biology year without A&P, so I have a hard time seeing how one could include both in the same course and do justice to either one.

the costs of doing Homesat classes are as follows:

-the dish

-the monthly subscription

-the media you tape or record on

-the class packet of information (for Biology this amounts to two huge notebooks of material)

-textbooks, lab books (the packets include tests and keys)

You might be able to subscribe monthly only for the summer, you'd have to ask if there is a minimum subscription period. Usually over the summer they compress the broadcast schedule on some of the LINC (highschool) classs and broadcast an entire year in 6 weeks. In the past they have broadcast all the sciences and literatures this way.

It makes for a very intense summer! :)

You need to allow a month or so to order, install, debug, and get used to taping, before you actually want to tape *real* broadcasts. It just takes time to figure it out.

HTH

the costs of doing Homesat classes are as follows:

-the dish

-the monthly subscription

-the media you tape or record on

-the class packet of information (for Biology this amounts to two huge notebooks of material)

-textbooks, lab books (the packets include tests and keys)

You might be able to subscribe monthly only for the summer, you'd have to ask if there is a minimum subscription period. Usually over the summer they compress the broadcast schedule on some of the LINC (highschool) classs and broadcast an entire year in 6 weeks. In the past they have broadcast all the sciences and literatures this way.

It makes for a very intense summer! :)

You need to allow a month or so to order, install, debug, and get used to taping, before you actually want to tape *real* broadcasts. It just takes time to figure it out.

HTH

I agree with the above homesat costs and wanted to add to the list:

installation of the satellite dish $100 (unless your dh is handy)

purchase of a DVD player that can write to DVD's $250

I personally like the fact that A&P is a separate course from biology. My h.s. had a very full biology year without A&P, so I have a hard time seeing how one could include both in the same course and do justice to either one.

I understand this point, and it's worth thinking about. It's true that covering all the material in a biology course can be intense. However, I think of high school biology as a general biology course, meant to be the grand overview of the subject. I think it is fair to say most students aren't going to go on to a second year of biology, especially not anatomy and physiology. For most students an intro to anatomy and physiology is going to happen in the general biology or not at all. I think the grand "fly over" is really important, even if it is challenging to accomplish.

Personally, I'd rather see the taxonomy sections condensed rather than the anatomy and physiology. I tell the parents of my students that in the fall we will focus cell structure and function and genetics because this is where the cutting edge technology is, and this is where today's headlines are coming from on ethics and science. My other main focus is anatomy and physiology because "everybody has a body" :D and it is very important for students to understand it's structure and function. We cover taxonomy and ecology relatively quickly. I move rather quickly through the ecology sections because in NC, most students will take a high school level environmental science course since it is recommended by the state university system. Taxonomy is interesting, but not as necessary for daily life as knowing about your body.

Of course, if a student knows they want to do a year of anatomy and physiology, then taking the Apologia course would work great. A year is even better!

Blessings

I agree with the above homesat costs and wanted to add to the list:

installation of the satellite dish $100 (unless your dh is handy)

purchase of a DVD player that can write to DVD's $250

I have to say that dh and I were pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to install the satellite dish. I thought we were going to have to pay somebody to do it, but it only took us an hour or so, and we had little to no difficulty focusing in on the right satellite.

They moved to a different satellite a couple of months ago, and we had to re-point the dish. I was really dreading it, thinking it had to be a fluke that it was so easy the first time and that we were going to have to search for it forever. It popped right up, though.

Also, I found my DVD player/writer on clearance at Wal-Mart for $103 -- the deals are out there if you start looking soon enough, but normally they are in the $250 range.

Like Lorna, I wanted to add that ds (then 14 yo) and I installed the dish by ourselves on a very, very steep roof. Dh helped us by carrying it up the ladder for us, but we did the rest ourselves, screws, power screwdriver, roofing caulk, and all. For us the hardest part was running the cable through the attic, as I hate insulation. We did not need to pay for installation, and if I can do it, you probably could as well. Pointing and setting the reciever and dish were just a matter of following the directions, but, BUT

if you choose to do record the Homesat broadcasts, please, please practice before the real lessons. I needed time to figure out and run trials on programming the timers in the receiver, programming my two VCRs (this was before the price on DVD recorders and/or hard drives came down into manageable range), setting up my weekly schedule, etc. There is a learning curve, and I needed time to figure it out. They usually schedule a pre-broadcast week during which they broadcast extra lessons and sundry supplementary materials before they start the "for real" lessons. There is also almost always a second broadcast in case you miss one or something goes wrong, but I was "marathon recording", so it was harder for me to recoup anything that went wrong.

If you get a used satellite dish, you may need to get a software upgrade which they can send you via the satellite receiver.

One other correction, the Biology and many of the other LINC classes have tests in the course packets which you can purchase, but not all of them do. You'll have to ask for each individual class.

hth

I understand this point, and it's worth thinking about. It's true that covering all the material in a biology course can be intense. However, I think of high school biology as a general biology course, meant to be the grand overview of the subject. I think it is fair to say most students aren't going to go on to a second year of biology, especially not anatomy and physiology. For most students an intro to anatomy and physiology is going to happen in the general biology or not at all. I think the grand "fly over" is really important, even if it is challenging to accomplish.

Blessings

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying...

You are saying that both of the Apologia books can be done in one year?

Just wanted to make sure....

Holly

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying...

You are saying that both of the Apologia books can be done in one year?

Just wanted to make sure....

Holly

I don't think you'd want to do both in one year, that's why I prefer a book that has anatomy and physiology integrated and can be done in one year. I was saying that if a student was sure they'd want a full year of anatomy and physiology, then doing the Apologia series can work well. A full year of Anatomy and Physiology is great!