Menu

Anyone with kids involved in fencing?

Wooden, barbed wire, or electric fences?

(Sorry, I couldn't stop myself :))

You know Kiana, after I posted I figured I should have clarified:D. In our family "fencing" is definitely used more in the context of fixing fence on the farm which is why I am so at a loss for anything along this topic.

My ds14 is a fencing maniac. He started just one year ago.

Fencing is EXPENSIVE. Lots of specialized equipment ... yeah, the club lets kids borrow everything, but it's kinda disgusting to share clothes and facemasks that everyone sweats like pigs in. DS has received fencing equipment for every gift-giving occasion for the last year, and we ain't done yet. Then you have to allow for repairs/maintenance ....

Lessons/club fees are expensive, too. DS fences at a 501©3 club, and it's still expensive.

Fencing is TIME-CONSUMING. DS spends 8 hours a week at the club. Now, granted, not everyone spends that amount of time at it, but it's his passion. Then there are tournaments, which are occasionally in town, but more often require a drive of 90 min to 3 hours one-way. Basically, if it's a tournament weekend, that's our whole Saturday.

Fencing is FUN. For our guy, at any rate. Not everyone clicks with it, but those who click really click, iykwim. Tournaments are run with various age groups, so your little guys would still be competitive in their grouping.

Fencing is GOOD EXERCISE. DS has really toned up and muscled up in the last year. Granted, he's maturing, but without the fencing, he wouldn't have those steely muscles. It's very vigorous exercise. I complained above about the sweating, but I do love to see him sweat for 2 hours at a stretch and enjoy it -- not what I expected for his teen years, as he has always been an indoor/nerdy/mathy kid. I love indoor/nerdy/mathy people (I am one and I married one), and it's been a wonderful revelation to me to watch DS blossom into an athlete as well.

Fencing is a very ANALYTICAL sport. Successful fencers are thinkers -- it's kinda like very physical chess. The thinking and strategy are just as important as the stabbing part.

There are scholarships available for fencing. The odds are better than for, say, basketball players. There are two fencing kids in our two-county area going to eastern prestige schools on fencing scholarships this coming fall. Given the vastly lower numbers of fencers, that's pretty good odds. You have awhile for that, yet :)

My advice for your family is to see if there's an introductory course offered at the fencing club(s) in your area -- e.g. our club offers a 6-week intro course a few times a year for age-5 and older. You won't really know until you give it a try. I absolutely would not invest in any equipment until your child has been fencing for several weeks ...

HTH,

Karen

Karen,

Thank you so much for all of the info. I too have the nerdy/mathy kids (and am one and married one) so I can appreciate your viewpoint. Both of my boys actually love the game of chess (and can even beat dh on occasion) so your comparison to a physical chess game sounds like it would be right up their alley.

I think our biggest obstacle will be finding lessons or a club around here. I do know that a local college has a club but I don't know if they offer lessons to younger kids. I have contacted them and am waiting to hear back. Otherwise, there is a place a little over an hour away that may have introductory lessons that could be a way to get our feet wet and try it out.

Thanks!

Depending on the age of your fella, and local rules, you might find it cheaper for him to learn rapier as part of the SCA. (Society for Creative Anachronism.)

It's not the same as Olympic fencing, so there won't be any scholarships to be had, but if you're looking for fun and fitness, it might fit the bill. Just thought I'd toss the idea out there in case it was useful.

:)

Rosie

Fencing is a very ANALYTICAL sport. Successful fencers are thinkers -- it's kinda like very physical chess. The thinking and strategy are just as important as the stabbing part.

:iagree:

DH & DS11 are both nerdy science types who also love to play chess, and fencing is the only sport that really clicked with them. DH fenced throughout high school and placed nationally (in the UK). He is teaching DS himself, but we plan to start looking for a club soon. DS is very tall, very skinny, and left-handed, all of which are advantages in fencing and DH expects he will do well in competition ~ but he needs a bit more practice in not falling apart when he loses. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

First of all, I couldn't believe it when I saw your post. We were talking yesterday about getting Nik involved in fencing!

I have no advice to offer, because I really know very little about the sport myself.

Marc took fencing in college (and was one of the top two students in the class), so if we can't find a class for young children he may end up teaching Nik himself. I do hope we can find a class, though, because we don't do a lot of other activities outside the house and it would be good to get him out among other people more often.

Fencing is EXPENSIVE. Lots of specialized equipment ... yeah, the club lets kids borrow everything, but it's kinda disgusting to share clothes and facemasks that everyone sweats like pigs in. DS has received fencing equipment for every gift-giving occasion for the last year, and we ain't done yet. Then you have to allow for repairs/maintenance ....

Lessons/club fees are expensive, too. DS fences at a 501©3 club, and it's still expensive.

Fencing is TIME-CONSUMING. DS spends 8 hours a week at the club. Now, granted, not everyone spends that amount of time at it, but it's his passion. Then there are tournaments, which are occasionally in town, but more often require a drive of 90 min to 3 hours one-way. Basically, if it's a tournament weekend, that's our whole Saturday.

Fencing is FUN. For our guy, at any rate. Not everyone clicks with it, but those who click really click, iykwim. Tournaments are run with various age groups, so your little guys would still be competitive in their grouping.

Fencing is GOOD EXERCISE. DS has really toned up and muscled up in the last year. Granted, he's maturing, but without the fencing, he wouldn't have those steely muscles. It's very vigorous exercise. I complained above about the sweating, but I do love to see him sweat for 2 hours at a stretch and enjoy it -- not what I expected for his teen years, as he has always been an indoor/nerdy/mathy kid. I love indoor/nerdy/mathy people (I am one and I married one), and it's been a wonderful revelation to me to watch DS blossom into an athlete as well.

There are scholarships available for fencing. The odds are better than for, say, basketball players. There are two fencing kids in our two-county area going to eastern prestige schools on fencing scholarships this coming fall. Given the vastly lower numbers of fencers, that's pretty good odds. You have awhile for that, yet :)

My advice for your family is to see if there's an introductory course offered at the fencing club(s) in your area -- e.g. our club offers a 6-week intro course a few times a year for age-5 and older. You won't really know until you give it a try. I absolutely would not invest in any equipment until your child has been fencing for several weeks ...

HTH,

Karen

Depending on the age of your fella, and local rules, you might find it cheaper for him to learn rapier as part of the SCA. (Society for Creative Anachronism.)

It's not the same as Olympic fencing, so there won't be any scholarships to be had, but if you're looking for fun and fitness, it might fit the bill. Just thought I'd toss the idea out there in case it was useful.

Rosie

Thank you both for the advice and thoughts!

We were very fortunate to find a Homeschooling co-op that taught a 1 hour weekly fencing class at a very reasonable price. We had a monthly fee and had the option of either borrowing a fencing mask, renting, or buying. We ended up buying it so as not to share germs. The foils were provided during the class.

This is a very disciplined sport. I think most people think it is like sword fighting in the movies. My son's instructor taught historical fencing (12th - 17th century) and classical fencing (17th - 19th Century) - not modern fencing you see in the Olympics. My ADHD son found it hard to stay focused on the instruction, so although he finished the year, he decided not to continue with it this year.

I really appreciated his instructor bringing in the historical aspect of fencing and teaching and building upon each move.

Our YMCA offers beginning and intermediate classes. DS11 has been at it for about a year. At this point we aren't required to purchase any equipment ourselve, but that will be the next step if he continues with it.

I'd look for an inexpensive Y program as a try-out prior to getting involved with a more serious club.

We were very fortunate to find a Homeschooling co-op that taught a 1 hour weekly fencing class at a very reasonable price. We had a monthly fee and had the option of either borrowing a fencing mask, renting, or buying. We ended up buying it so as not to share germs. The foils were provided during the class.

This is a very disciplined sport. I think most people think it is like sword fighting in the movies. My son's instructor taught historical fencing (12th - 17th century) and classical fencing (17th - 19th Century) - not modern fencing you see in the Olympics. My ADHD son found it hard to stay focused on the instruction, so although he finished the year, he decided not to continue with it this year.

I really appreciated his instructor bringing in the historical aspect of fencing and teaching and building upon each move.

Do we have an envious smilie?

Rosie

HTH,

Karen

You've confirmed my suspicions about where we're headed as a family. :)

My 10yo daughter just complete the first 2 beginning classes at our local school. At this point she's had to choose which style she wants to focus on. The meetings have gone from once a week to twice a week, we've just bought her a pair of proper shoes and plan to buy mask and glove for her birthday. I keep telling my husband that this could easily consume our lives, especially if our 2nd daughter takes an interest in it as well.

My 10yo used to take chess and enjoyed it, but I think adding the sword in hand= the perfect pastime for her.

She had just seen 'Pirates of the Caribbean' for the first time and was reading/watching 'Spiderwick' (the sister fences) when she started these classes so she was really amped up to try it. I think this next class will be telling as to whether it is a passing fancy, or a possible passion.

I think I need to go on youtube and educate myself on the sport so I understand the rules, terms etc. I also think I'm going to learn to knit so I can keep my hands busy during classes.

Does anyone have kids that are involved in fencing? Dh thinks the boys would really enjoy this sport but I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about it. I really no nothing about the sport so any input you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes! Fencing is a big hit with my youngest. It seems those who get into it really get into it. I suspected it might be the sport for my son after watching him fight my tall arborvitae shrubs with garden stakes. LOL.

Ds fences with a local fencing club and this summer will fence with Windy City Fencing in Chicago as well. He also takes one-on-one lessons with an older fellow.

This club is in Chicago but has good information that you might find useful. I believe one of the links lists clubs throughout the U.S. I was also able to order a free catalog from one of the vendors.

Windy City Fencing: About Fencing

Your boys can always work on footwork. That is immensely important. In fact, one of the best fencers in the world took a year off just to work on footwork.

Like others have said, it is a very strategic game. My son loves to psyche out his opponents and recently learned a few new tricks from some college fencers at Northwestern U. Sometimes he's the victim of trickery, too!

All-in-all, it's a terrific sport, and one you can do all your life. We give it two big thumbs-up. :thumbup:

PS: You can check out some of the Olympic fencing bouts on YouTube.

Rosie

Thanks for the suggestion Rosie, I'll look into that too.

Thank you everyone for your insight. It really sounds like this sport can invoke passion in those who are interested in it! I also appreciate the tips and advice that were given here. It helps to know a bit more about the sport and where it may lead. It sounds like it could be a sport my sons could get into.... if only I can find a club or instructor. I'm still working on that one but I'm hoping I can find some way for them to at least try it out.

Thanks!

She took it up as many of her homeschooled friends joined. Here it's very affordable ($1 / week or $20/year !) She fences April-November & sails November-April. She now has her own foil, as dh has a friend who fenced in highschool & was cleaning out his garage & found his old foil. He gave it to dd. Dd has been surprised at how fit fencing has made her. She has always been active (sailing, hiking, soccer, fieldhockey, swimming, etc.), but she's found the 2 hour fencing one of the toughest workouts yet.

Blessings,

She took it up as many of her homeschooled friends joined. Here it's very affordable ($1 / week or $20/year !) She fences April-November & sails November-April. She now has her own foil, as dh has a friend who fenced in highschool & was cleaning out his garage & found his old foil. He gave it to dd. Dd has been surprised at how fit fencing has made her. She has always been active (sailing, hiking, soccer, fieldhockey, swimming, etc.), but she's found the 2 hour fencing one of the toughest workouts yet.

Blessings,

Thanks Deb. I wish we had something like that around here, it sounds great. It is great to hear what a tough workout it is, that is one of the draws for us. In fact, it is making me think maybe I should join the kids if we find a place for them to go....it could be a good, fun way to get some great exercise:D.