Menu

What is a main dish appetizer and do you have any recipes to share for this catagory?

Ummm....so are we just talking heavy appetizers that could take the place of a regular meal?

If so, I'd go for potato skins with lots of cheese, bacon, and scallions.

Maybe skewers with marinated, cooked chicken chunks and chunks of grilled vegetables (could also be served cold)

Or skewers with antipasto components like folded salami, black olives, marinated tomatoes, etc.

Maybe potstickers or egg rolls...

What the heck is a main dish appetizer? How can it be both? LOL

I'd bring meatballs (the kind you buy frozen) in a crockpot, with sauce. My fave is the jar of chili sauce mixed with a jar of grape jelly. Sounds bizarre, the men love it.

I vote for meatballs, too. Someone on the boards posted this recipe a few days ago. I took them to a NYE's party and had several requests for the recipe. I used the frozen meatballs from Costco.

Meatballs

1 (8 oz.) can cranberry sauce

1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce

2 tbsp. brown sugar

1 tbsp. lemon juice

Mix together and pour over meatballs in crockpot. Cook 4 hours on low.

Is it like tapas? You know, little portions - like sandwiches, but cut into 4ths? (Okay, I know that's a super boring example and no one would want to come to my tapas party...) I think you can do pretty much anything, just make it small, individual portions.