Menu

WEIRD food thread

I lived in Japan and visited both the Philipines and Korea. I ate many a weird thing that I did not find out what was until I had already eaten it. Eventually I learned to stop asking. Many of them were not too bad at all. The one thing I could not bring myself to try was a Philipino dish (the name of which escapes me right now, probably blocked it out) which was basically duck fetus. It was considered a delicacy although I have no idea why. It stunk to high heaven and included bones, feather and bill. Squid and octopus were relatively mild in comparison. I have also eaten chicken at a KFC in Germany that added curry to the secret ingredients and at a Pizza Hut in Korea that served their pizza with an egg sunny side up in the middle.

Squid and octopus were relatively mild in comparison.

If squid is weird, I can add that to my earlier list.

I was telling dh about this thread, and he said some people probably think eating crabs is weird. He grew up in Baltimore and I lived there for years, so we think an old-fashioned crab feast is the height of good living. :001_smile:

I had spam when I was a kid. Now that's weird food!

Edited by LizzyBee

If squid is weird, I can add that to my earlier list.

I was telling dh about this thread, and he said some people probably think eating crabs is weird. He grew up in Baltimore and I lived there for years, so we think an old-fashioned crab feast is the height of good living. :001_smile:

I had spam when I was a kid. Now that's weird food!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! We had crab legs for Christmas this year and two years ago. What a TREAT!!!

Spam??? I refuse.

I have also eaten chicken at a KFC in Germany that added curry to the secret ingredients and at a Pizza Hut in Korea that served their pizza with an egg sunny side up in the middle.

That reminds me of the Pizza Huts we visited while living in the UK. Tuna and corn were the most popular toppings among our Scottish friends. And you had to eat your pizza with a knife and fork. ;)

The weirdest thing I've eaten in salt water soup while staying in the Yasawa Islands of Fiji. Being almost three months pregnant didn't help matters either. We were staying as guests in a home on a tiny island, and I am sure it was rude, but I just couldn't eat the soup. My Dear Loved One ate monkey brains on one of our adventures and a soup so spicy it made his eyes water. My kids would say they eat weird things all the time because we cook from scratch and eat wild animals and mushrooms. I have eaten mushrooms that taste like maple syrup.

I don't eat anything anyone would find weird, but my family is Polish and I remember once a year around this time my Great Aunt would invite my dad up for some CZARNINA (duck blood soup) and KISZKA (blood sausage) Not sure what was up with that. I was told that when I was little I once asked him if he was really a Vampire :001_huh: