Menu

xylitol

I have heard differeing reports on this product (some say it is the best thing on the market and others have said, not so much)...what have you guys heard about it. I am always a little nervous about putting "factory made" sweeteners...but what do you guys think???

I have no experience with it other than it being in our kids' multi-vitamins and our dentist (a naturopath dentist) highly recommends it. She says it has cavity-fighting properties. It's not a chemical ("fake sugar") it's a natural product from what she says.

I have no experience with it other than it being in our kids' multi-vitamins and our dentist (a naturopath dentist) highly recommends it. She says it has cavity-fighting properties. It's not a chemical ("fake sugar") it's a natural product from what she says.

It is also in some nose sprays since it has anti-bacterial properties.

ETA - The bacteria eats the xylitol and dies from lack of energy/food source.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I am familiar with it as a sweetener in sugarless gum. It is toxic to dogs and cats. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Yes, Milo, the dog in my avatar, ate almost an entire pack of gum containing xylitol and is lucky to be OK (after costing us a pretty penny for treatment). We do not have any of it in the house anymore.

I cannot tolerate the newer artificial sweeters (aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame K or however they are spelled), I'm not sure about saccharin, and I'm fine with the -tols (sorbitol, manitol, xylitol) and with stevia (which I do realize is a natural sweetener). By "cannot tolerate" I mean more than 1 stick of gum a month gives me a headache for about a week, and I once had a headache for nearly a year before I figured out what was causing the headaches 3 months into it and then it still took the rest of the year for the headache to go away. I've only found *1* brand of mint gum I can chew (breathRx) and 1 bubble gum (super bubble) because all the others have at least 1 of my triggers.

A note on the -tol sweeteners. In moderately large doses, they cause "digestive symptoms." At least tummy aches, frequently diarrhea. Some may be more sensitive, like I am with the newer ones.

Wow. I didn't know that it was toxic to dogs. Our golden ate an entire package of Trident with xylitol and was just fine. The only reason I knew it happened was because of the chewed wrapper mess that she left behind. Of course, this is the same dog who polished off 2 dozen frosted cupcakes with no side effects outside of dayglo green poop.

It is not an artificial sweetener...at least not what I get. The stuff I get comes from birch trees and is harvested just like maple. Actually, I've always called it birch sugar and I've been using it for almost 10 years. I buy it in 25 pound bags and use it for most of my cooking/baking. You do have to make sure you DO NOT consume more than 15 mgs of it in a day or it will cause diarrhea and you can get an upset stomach if you eat more than that in a day.

I love it because it does help reduce and in some cases, reverse, tooth decay. It does have calories but it is about 40% less than cane sugar, and it doesn't spike blood sugars. I have a link to the place I order from but we are in the process of moving and it may take me awhile.

Xylitol isn't an artificial sweetner. There are products out there that aren't pure and natural, so you need to shop carefully.

But here is info on it

Xylitol is a five-carbon sugar alcohol that is used as a sugar substitute. Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fiber, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but contains 40% less calories.

Xylitol was first derived from Birch trees in Finland in the 19th century and was first popularized in Europe as a safe sweetener for diabetics that would not impact insulin levels. In the late 20th century, xylitol in granular form began to be mass produced in the United States under the brand name "Ultimate Sweetener" using beet plants in California. Today, using corn sources, most world supplies reportedly come primarily from China

One teaspoon of xylitol contains 9.6 calories, as compared to one teaspoon of sugar, which has 15 calories. Xylitol also contains zero net effective carbohydrates, whereas sugar contains 4 grams per teaspoon. Unlike Stevia, xylitol has virtually no aftertaste, and is advertised as "safe for diabetics and individuals with hypoglycemia". This is because carbohydrates like sugar alcohol have less impact on a person's blood sugar than regular sugars. Virtually all chewing gum sold in Europe is sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol is a "toothfriendly" sugar substitute. In addition to not encouraging tooth decay (by replacing dietary sugars), xylitol may actively aid in repairing minor cavities caused by dental caries. Recent research confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption.