Menu

Yummy Appetizer Ideas (Recipes) Needed for New Year's :-)

White bread--thin sliced sandwich bread is good. Wonder Bread, actually. Something I never normally buy.

Mayo--has to be Hellmans/Best Foods, full fat. Essential.

Onion--white. The big Costco onions work great here.

Optional--minced parsley flakes. Yes, the dried stuff. Weird but true.

Parmesan Cheese--yes, the stuff in the green can. Weird but true.

So, you chop the onion up very, very finely. No piece should be larger than 1/4 inch across. Drain in a strainer for a few minutes.

Cut rounds out of the bread with a small biscuit cutter or a jelly jar glass. You can plan on getting 2-3 per slice, depending on size. Do not include any crust at all.

Toast the rounds in a toaster oven, using the broil setting so that they are toasted only on one side.

Mix the drained onion with an equal quantity of mayo. Spread liberally onto the untoasted side of the bread rounds, placing in a large jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan cheese and/or parsley if desired. It is nice to have several versions to pass around.

Just before serving time, broil for about 1/2 to 2 minutes until just browned. (You have to watch them to see them start to change color. Sometimes I make them in small batches in the toaster oven so that I can see them better.) Then serve warm.

These do not taste like onion or mayo. They are not recognizably made with white bread. They taste unbelievably good, although the recipe does sound gross. People can never figure out what they are made of. Give this recipe a chance; you will not believe how good it is. Inexpensive, too.

Several of us get together to cook and make a big party in our community center at our housing development....we're expecting quite a few people over (70-100) so we have a pretty long list of yummies....let me know if you want any of these recipes:

DIPS served with tortilla chips, pita bread triangles, veggies, crackers, french baguettes slices:

Spinach/Red Pepper Dip

Homemade Port Wine Cheese ball

Pineapple meatballs

Baba Ghanoush (Roasted Eggplant dip)

Baked Brie

Homemade hummus

Several kinds of chicken wings

Mushroom puffs

Deviled Eggs

Stuffed Celery

Noisemakers

Cheese Fondues

Chicken Crescents

Pastry Puffs with several different fillings

Chicken bites: Mandarin, sweet and sour, teriyaki

Nuts: Glazed almonds; smoked almonds, BBQ Peanuts, Spicy Pecans

Desserts:

Cheesecakes

Chocolate mousse

Crepes

Rum Balls

Coconut, Banana, Chocolate cream pie

Assorted cookies and candies

And about 11:30pm we'll serve thinly sliced filet mignon on bruschetta with champagne.

As you can see we go all out for NYE

I have always had to make this and take to our group's New Year's Eve Party. I don't think they would let me in without it! I bring baked pita chips (plain) to eat with it.

This is the official recipe, but anymore I just do the feta/cream cheese/butter/garlic and nothing else. I will make an extra batch and freeze it. It is good to have around for an emergency!

1 lb feta (french blends well)

½ lb cream cheese (8 oz)

¼ lb unsalted butter (1 stick)

1 clove garlic – minced very fine

Blend in food processor till very smooth

¾ cup sundried tomatoes

optional: parsley, fresh basil, green onion, toasted sesame seeds

Line a 6†round mold with saran wrap. Put in ½ the tomatoes (rehydrated) sprinkle with basil and toasted sesame seeds. Then add ½ the feta mixture, then the rest of the tomatoes, basil and the remaining feta mixture. Cover with saran wrap and keep in refrigerator at least 24 hours to firm.

Here are our three favorites:

Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Sauce

from the Williams-Sonoma Grilling Cookbook

Marinade:

1 cup cider vinegar

2 Tbs. vegetable oil

2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbs. chili powder

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp freshly ground pepper

1 Tbs. Tabasco

4 lb. chicken wings

Blue Cheese Sauce:

2/3 cup sour cream

½-cup mayonnaise

1 large clove garlic, minced

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1-cup blue cheese

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

2 tbs. (approx) milk

Celery sticks

To make the marinade, in a small bowl stir together the vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Place the chicken wings in a large plastic food storage bag and pour in the marinade. (*I use two large plastic bags and divide the chicken and marinade between the two.) Press out the air and seal the bag tightly. Massage the bag gently, to distribute the marinade. Set in a large bowl and refrigerate for several hours, turning and massaging the bag occasionally.

To make the blue cheese sauce, in a small bowl whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ad enough milk to make a sauce with the consistency of pancake batter. Cover and refrigerate.

Prepare a fire in the grill, when ready, arrange the wings on the rack. Grill, turning frequently, until cooked through, 25-30 minutes. Serve with the dipping sauce and celery sticks.

Garlic Grilled Shrimp

from Bon Appetit Outdoor Entertaining

4 lbs. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined

½-cup olive oil

2 Tbs. minced garlic

1 cup dried seasoned breadcrumbs

½ cup chopped fresh parsley

32 10-12 inch long wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes

Lemon wedges

Stir shrimp, oil and garlic in large bowl to combine. Add breadcrumbs and parsley and toss until shrimp are evenly coated. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp on skewers; place skewers on 2 plates. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 hours.

Prepare grill. Place shrimp on grill and grill until just opaque in center and coating begins to brown, about 4 minutes.

Transfer shrimp skewers to platter. Surround with lemon wedges and serve.

Robert Duvall’s Mother’s Crab Cakes

(My husband, a former chef, swears these crab cakes taste better than any restaurant’s crab cakes in our city. We even had crab cakes at a four-star restaurant in Chicago and my husband said that this recipe still wins!)

1 lb. crab meat -- jumbo, lump or back-fin (The jumbo is best for large patties, but not good for tiny ones. The back-fin is good for both.)

2 heaping Tbs. mayonnaise

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 small onion, grated

1/2 Tbs. mustard powder

18 Ritz crackers, crumbled

Combine all ingredients except the crackers. Add crackers crumbs in as close to sautéing as possible so that they crab cakes do not get too moist from the other ingredients. Form into patties the size of hamburger patties (makes 6) or hors d-oeuvre-size (makes 15-18), depending on how they will be served.

Sauté in frying pan over medium-to-high heat in butter, 10 minutes per side. Make sure that they are crispy outside but moist and juicy inside.

A simple tartar sauce to accompany the crab cakes can be made by mixing mayonnaise, grated onion and lemon juice (eye-the proportions). Salt and pepper to taste.

We've always had rave reviews at parties with these!

Bambam ~ That sounds YUMMY!!

HomeschoolCarol ~ I want to come to your party!! lol I'd love to see the recipe for Pineapple Meatballs please!

We love Hawaiian Cocktail Sausages

2 packages of Lil' Smokies

1 C green pepper, chopped

1 jar marishino cherries (I cut them in 1/2)

1 can pineapple tidbits (save the juice..see below)

1 T cornstarch

1/4 C white vinegar

1/4 C water

1/2 C brown sugar

1/2 C pineapple juice - drained from the can

Put the first four ingredients in the crockpot. Mix the last five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the liquid over the ingredients in the crockpot and set on low to keep warm.

As requested:

Pineapple Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

2/3 cup crushed saltine cracker crumbs

1/3 cup minced onion

1 egg

1/4 cup milk

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons garlic salt (or 2 cloves crush garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt)

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup white vinegar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks - drained, with juice reserved

Mix first 7 ingredients together...form into meatballs.

Heat olive oil in large skillet....brown meatballs, drain grease, leave meatballs in skillet.

Mix soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch and pineapple juice (not chunks yet) until smooth. Pour onto meatballs and continue cooking and gently stirring until it thickens (about 5+ minutes).

Add pineapple chunks and green peppers. Cook until pineapple and peppers are heated.

As an appetizer, spear a pineapple chunk, green pepper and meatball onto a long toothpick (repeat until all items are speared). Stand the toothpicked items in the sauce to serve.

As a meal....pour over rice.

My family likes cocktail weiners wrapped in Crescent Rolls.

Chipped Beef Dip

This makes a large quantity so I usually cut the recipe in half but use 2 full packages of cream cheese.

½ cup mayonnaise

3- 8 ounce packages of cream cheese

8 ounces sour cream

5 teaspoons horseradish (optional, I don’t use)

3 Tablespoons sweet pickle juice

6 packages Budig chipped beef, diced (I usually put through the food processor)

Soften cream cheese. Add mayo, sour cream, and pickle juice and mix well. Stir in beef and spread on crackers. Flavor is better if left in the fridge a few hours before serving.

I've always liked (and I think it's Pampered Chef), is crescent rolls spread out on a pan and baked as a sheet and then spread with cream cheese (and some spices I think) and covered with fresh veggies.

I've made this with much success

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Nut-Puffs

How about bacon wrapped scallops? Peel and eat shrimp (but cook your own because the pre-cooked ones have no flavor)?

Stuffed mushrooms?

Bruschetta on fresh bread (Sam's has some very good brushetta if you don't want to make your own)

Quesadilla wedges?

Nachos?

Jalepeno Poppers?

Southwestern Eggrolls?

Baked Potato Skins?

Periogis?

Fruit skewers with yogurt dip

Here's some others that look good.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sausage-Wonton-Cups

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Fiesta-Pinwheels

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Peanut-Butter-Pinwheels-2

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Almond-Cheddar-Appetizers

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Crescent-Appetizer

8 oz. cream cheese spread onto a plate or flat dish. Pour a jar of sweet/spicy dip/glaze over the cream cheese and then use a knife to cut lines going down and across through the dip and cream cheese which makes it easier to scoop onto the cracker. Our local grocery store, HEB, has many flavors like pineapple habanero and others. Serve with dinner crackers or whatever your favorite appetizer type cracker is. Yummy!