Menu

So what should I do about this "miss" gift?

Dd8 loves to do gymnastics. As part of that she loves to do complicated floor exercise routines to music. They are dance like but are very athletic with round-offs etc.

We are also that stereotypical conservative Christian homeschool family. We do enjoy many things in our culture. But we do march to a different (holy:)) drummer. We're not into the party scene and are careful about music and other media.

MIL gave dd8 a "U-Dance" game. From looking at the box, it looks like it hooks up to the t.v. and shows you some basic contempory dance (mostly hip hop?) moves that go with 12 dance party songs. It is not evil. It just isn't what dh and I want dd8 to spend her time with.

I have no problem with quietly taking it back and exchanging it for something else for dd8. Dd8 has no trouble with it either. BUT - I can just see MIL coming over and wanting to see Dd8 dance to the new toy. How would we explain it to MIL? She is a Christian but she doesn't see things the same way as we do as far as these kind of choices. And no dh really isn't much help. He clearly does not want dd8 to play with this toy but he doesn't tend to look at the interpersonal things of dealing with MIL's feelings.

It doesn't work for your family, and that is reason enough in my book. Return, exchange or donate it guilt free, or bring it over with you every time you visit and let her dance away for their enjoyment.:D

That link with the 4yo...I can only imagine that day after day. :tongue_smilie:

It doesn't work for your family, and that is reason enough in my book. Return, exchange or donate it guilt free, or bring it over with you every time you visit and let her dance away for their enjoyment.:D

That link with the 4yo...I can only imagine that day after day. :tongue_smilie:

I found another. lol Same song. Different kid and continent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINDFwALd9o&feature=related

Did you catch the link with the little one named Max? His father tells the mother (I assume) that Max is on his 'treadmill'. lol

Of course, now I want it. How much is this? What game system does it use (we have xbox 360). Or is it just a DVD?

Edited by LibraryLover

WOW. I just looked it up. This game retails for $75! Unless my child adored it, I'd be tempted to return it. OTOH, that's a lot to spend on a gift. If I were the Grandma, I'd want a chance to buy something else. There are some great toys to be had for that amount of money. If you aren't going to keep it, call grandma and ask if she would go with you to pick out something else.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would go ahead and return or exchange it. If your MIL asks simply state that you and your DH agreed that the toy was not appropriate for your DD. If you want, show her what you exchanged it for. I personally don't see that it's any different than exchanging a clothing item that was the wrong size. It just wasn't a good fit for your family. HTH

Guess what! MIL just came over and guess what she asked? Dh was here and handled the answer honestly but nicely. Phew - it's nice to have that hurdle out of the way.

I don't worry about dd not finding ways to move or to dance. She comes up with plenty of stuff on her own. She prefers to choreograph her own stuff too.

WOW. I just looked it up. This game retails for $75! Unless my child adored it, I'd be tempted to return it. OTOH, that's a lot to spend on a gift. If I were the Grandma, I'd want a chance to buy something else. There are some great toys to be had for that amount of money. If you aren't going to keep it, call grandma and ask if she would go with you to pick out something else.

I got it on Amazon last week for $15, haven't opened it yet, DS loves music and loves to Dance and this looked easier then dealing with the dance pads from Dance Dance Revolution