Menu

changing from hs room to individual desks in bedrooms

So we're changing from a formal hs room to having the boys (8, and 5) have desks in their own room and then use the finished basement and rest of the house for projects etc. We now need the spare room that once was their designated homeschool room. DS 8 has a fairly large bedroom set in his room and is crazy about legos which cover his large dresser and shelves in the closet. Any ideas about floating desks (the kind with just the desk surface attached to a metal bar on the wall, like organized living etc) He has enough space to handle his books and supplies in his closet. After this year he'll be going back to school so we just need to have a quiet work area for homework and not too concerned about the supplies and wall diagrams, maps that we have up so far, although it would be cool to keep a few things.

DS 5 has a lot of wall room that it seems fine to fit a small desk which he has from preschool age and a carton of workbooks, journals, etc for when we wants to do sit down stuff.

Looking for cool ideas that work for tight spaces.

thanks

I recommend not investing a lot in this because I really can't imagine a 8 year old or a 5 year old doing any schoolwork independently in their room on anything resembling a regular (reliable) basis.

I'd go with a shelf in their room to store it but actually working at the kitchen table.

LOL! That cracks me up because we had an incident at our home a month ago. My 9 and 10 year old decided they were old enough to homeschool in their bedrooms and asked me if they could give it a try. We decided to test it out for a day. The plan was that I would stay downstairs in the homeschool room and correct their work as they brought down each finished subject.

About 2 hours into our "test" I heard a huge crash. My ds 9 decided he could do school much better if he had his Star Wars actions figures next to him. He snuck into our attic, (which is off limits) where we store out-of-cycle toys. He slipped while attempting to climb a storage shelf to reach the toy, and fell through the floor of the attic, which is also the ceiling of our master bedroom downstairs. Thankfully his foot got caught on the cord to the smoke alarm and he was only dangling from the ceiling and didn't fall all the way through. Praise God he wasn't hurt physically, but he is still working off the $150 ceiling repair bill.

Needless to say, that is the end of homeschooling in bedrooms at our house for a while.

Edited by Ferdie

LOL! That cracks me up because we had an incident at our home a month ago. My 9 and 10 year old decided they were old enough to homeschool in their bedrooms and asked me if they could give it a try. We decided to test it out for a day. The plan was that I would stay downstairs in the homeschool room and correct their work as they brought down each finished subject.

About 2 hours into our "test" I heard a huge crash. My ds 9 decided he could do school much better if he had his Star Wars actions figures next to him. He snuck into our attic, (which is off limits) where we store out-of-cycle toys. He slipped while attempting to climb a storage shelf to reach the toy, and fell through the floor of the attic, which is also the ceiling of our master bedroom downstairs. Thankfully his foot got caught on the cord to the smoke alarm and he was only dangling from the ceiling and didn't fall all the way through. Praise God he wasn't hurt physically, but he is still working off the $150 ceiling repair bill.

Needless to say, that is the end of homeschooling in bedrooms at our house for a while.

Love that!! Who said home education was boring anyway? During alone time a few years ago, my youngest ds decided to see how far the purple sharpened colored pencil would go up his nose. Well, the point broke off inside his sinus cavity. I called the doctor, a friend of ours, who said if it was Crayola we were good!! Non-toxic. Well, his nose kept a constant drip for about two weeks until it melted and, you guessed it, the drainage was bright purple. We got some interested looks!!

Edited by Frontier Mom

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

I recommend not investing a lot in this because I really can't imagine a 8 year old or a 5 year old doing any schoolwork independently in their room on anything resembling a regular (reliable) basis.

I'd go with a shelf in their room to store it but actually working at the kitchen table.