Menu

S/O Lush: How much is too much?

Every day? Every other day? Only with meals? Just during "happy hour"? One drink? Two drinks? More? Less?

In some cultures, it is acceptable to have a drink or two with each meal. Not necessarily so in the US.

Some people think any drinking is bad. Some people think that it depends on what you drink - wine seems to be more respectable than, say, whiskey.

Some people have a drink every afternoon after work. Is it bad even if its just one drink, every day, same time, or is it just bad if that person actually feels they "need" that one drink just to calm thier nerves? Or not even then because its only "one drink"?

So many different theories.

So, what is the basic rule of thumb, according to The Hive?

Every day? Every other day? Only with meals? Just during "happy hour"? One drink? Two drinks? More? Less?

For me, having a drink more than twice a month is too much from a health-maintenance standpoint.

I think daily drinking is too much for most people's livers.

Since moving to Europe my opinions about drinking have changed. I live where there are vineyards everywhere. Drinking wine with meals is the norm. I have a glass with dinner each night and it's wonderful. Also, when we got out to lunch we have wine with our meal. We are usually there for several hours and I see no big deal with it.

When I worked I generally had a drink after work. I see nothing wrong with that.

A drink with dinner sounds reasonable too. Although, I rarely drink with dinner. But I cannot stand to have Italian food without a glass of wine.

I also liked a beer on a hot summer day or at a barbecue.

Champagne on New Year's Eve.

I guess as long as you aren't impaired due to your drinking it's not too much. Having a drink and getting drunk are two very different things.

For women even 1/2-1 drink per day increases the risk of breast cancer.

And not long ago they were saying a high fat diet increases your chance as well. Now they have revised that to saying there is no direct connection.

I think outside some of the obvious things like smoking, we still don't know exactly what triggers cancer, in all its forms. My great grandmother smoked, drank (most likely heavily), eat bacon/eggs/cream on a daily basis, and lived till 90 (no cancer, just pooped-out). Why she got away with it and others don't, that's the real mystery.

Edited by Jenny in Atl

My family practitioner has prescribed 3 oz. of red wine with dinner every day. She was specific about it being red wine because of the resveratrol content. She knows dh and I drink rarely if ever. There is plenty of evidence that a glass of wine daily promotes a longer, healthier life. She also mentioned that two glasses seem to void the results, so only one for health.

Edited by tdeveson

For women even 1/2-1 drink per day increases the risk of breast cancer.

Honestly, if that really were the case, the incidence of breast cancer would be through the roof in Europe. None of my family (all in Belgium, where you drink beer with lunch and wine with dinner and something in between) has had cancer in any form.

...and lowers the risk of a heart attack. You just can't win ;)

Yes, my dr. says he drinks two glasses of wine every evening. He says for a woman one drink a day is good for the heart. On the other hand, my hubby has high liver enzymes, high cholesteral & triglycerides and is overweight so dr. says no alcohol for him. Luckily, he doesn't drink so no problems there.

It's really subjective to each person, their health, their needs, and their tolerances. Half a glass of wine is usually enough for me. With my dinner every night would be fine, but I don't drink that often. Usually I'll have a glass or two averaging out to every other month. During the summer I may have a beer up to three times a month.