Menu

Now I Know

Parchment paper = can be used in the oven

Wax paper = not so much

Really? I use it every time I bake a cake. I cut out a circle of wax paper to line the cake pan so it doesn't stick. Never had a problem with it, and I thought that's the kind of thing waxed paper was for. So what's the problem with it?

Really? I use it every time I bake a cake. I cut out a circle of wax paper to line the cake pan so it doesn't stick. Never had a problem with it, and I thought that's the kind of thing waxed paper was for. So what's the problem with it?

Melted wax? Maybe it's getting onto the bottom of your cake and you don't notice it (?). At the least, I suppose it would melt onto your pan, but I would think it would clean off OK. I do the same thing for cakes (cutting out the circle of paper), but with parchment paper.

Traditionally, wasn't wax paper often used to wrap sandwiches and such? I always keep a roll of it in my wrap/foil drawer, but hardly ever use it. Only when I'm using it for an outside-the-oven project, like no bake cookies, or some toy that I'm gluing so it won't stick to the paper when it's dry.

Edited by gardening momma

Last year when I made the saltine toffee, I lined my pan with parchment paper.

So while I was at the store, I thought oh wax paper~same thing.

Made my toffee, got it ready to cut~the wax paper was stuck to the bottom of the graham crackers and the pan. Good thing I used an older pan.

On the wax paper box it says you can use it to bake a cake. Guess you can't use it to make toffee :lol: