Menu

bedwetting

my kids have a friend over that wets the bed. I'm trying to figure out what to do about sleeping arrangements without hurting anyones feelings. I'm thinking about making her a pallet on the floor and put garbage bags under the blankets. Then in the morning I can just throw the blankets in the washer. I don't want to single her out and make her sleep on the floor by herself, but I know if I don't put her by herself in the middle of the night all the girls will be soaking wet.

She has a big bedwetting problem. Her mom won't put pull ups on her because she thinks it will encourage her to continue wetting the bed. I've talked to her mom several times, made a few suggestions as compassionately as I could, but her mom disagrees with me. So I'm just trying to do this without making the child feel bad, ykwim?

She has a big bedwetting problem. Her mom won't put pull ups on her because she thinks it will encourage her to continue wetting the bed. I've talked to her mom several times, made a few suggestions as compassionately as I could, but her mom disagrees with me. So I'm just trying to do this without making the child feel bad, ykwim?

IMO, if the mom won't provide something for the child on an overnight stay, the child shouldn't be going on an overnight stay. Did you know in advance that she has this problem, or did you just find out after she was dropped off?

Wow that is not very thoughtful of her mother! If this is a real good friend of your DC, and she will be continuing to have overnighters at your house, I would just have some pullups for her on hand for when she stays...

Maybe that is overstepping what the mother prefers, but she is not there to clean it up, and it is your home...she doesnt have to send her if she doesnt like it. Not to mention the fact that is has to be embarrassing for the girl! It really is kind of mean.

You probably would not make her feel bad if you made her slept on the floor. I wet the bed until 11 and would prefer to sleep on the floor so that I was the only one getting wet. Could you maybe wake her up at night to take her to the bathroom? We have had success with my dd by taking her around midnight and again around 6am.

Oh, that poor girl. To have a mom as insensitive and uneducated as that. She seems to think that humiliating her daughter will make it go away. Well, I have news for her, it doesn't. It only damages her self-esteem and violates trust. (I was a bed-wetter. The STUPID f&*%$ doctors told my mom that the only way to make it stop was to hand the soiled sheets out to dry for all the world to see. Yeah, like that worked.)

If I had the girl overnight, it would be "my house, my rules" and get some Goodnights.

my kids have a friend over that wets the bed. I'm trying to figure out what to do about sleeping arrangements without hurting anyones feelings. I'm thinking about making her a pallet on the floor and put garbage bags under the blankets. Then in the morning I can just throw the blankets in the washer. I don't want to single her out and make her sleep on the floor by herself, but I know if I don't put her by herself in the middle of the night all the girls will be soaking wet.

Do you have a vinyl tablecloth or shower curtain you could use (instead of trash bags--because it would be quieter than a trash bag)? Could you make pallets on the floor for all the girls?

Edited by JudoMom

Oh, that poor girl. To have a mom as insensitive and uneducated as that. She seems to think that humiliating her daughter will make it go away. Well, I have news for her, it doesn't. It only damages her self-esteem and violates trust. (I was a bed-wetter. The STUPID f&*%$ doctors told my mom that the only way to make it stop was to hand the soiled sheets out to dry for all the world to see. Yeah, like that worked.)

If I had the girl overnight, it would be "my house, my rules" and get some Goodnights.

Sorry you had to go thru that. Children shouldn't be embarrassed in that way.

My brother wet the bed till he was 12. The dr told him it was because he was too lazy to get up and go. For him it made him mad enough he stopped. But for this child, I don't think anything like that would work.

Do you have a vinyl tablecloth or shower curtain you could use (instead of trash bags--because it would be quieter than a trash bag)? Could you make pallets on the floor for all the girls?

That would be better, but I dont have either of those. Just garbage bags.

I'm thinking about putting them all in the floor. The only place I'd have to do that is in the living room, and when DH gets home he'd have to climb over everyone to get in and wouldn't be able to watch TV :tongue_smilie: I might do it anyhow tho.

My dd wet the bed until age 7. I always sent her off with some Goodnites when she went to sleep overs. Likewise, a friend came over for sleepovers & she wets the bed. I always pulled out my dd's leftover Goodnites & gave her one to put on. I never made a big deal out of it & didn't make a point of it in front of friends, just kind of a gentle, "here ya go!" as she went into the bathroom to change for bed. I don't want to clean up someone's pee mess and I'm sure they don't want the embarrassment of making one at a sleepover, ya know?

How horrible. My dad and my husband had this problem until puberty, and my youngest two boys have it now. They feel just as bad about wetting the bed as I do about washing the sheets. I felt horrible about sucking my thumb while asleep, and I'm so glad my parents never teased me about it.

Why can't people understand that there are some things people have no control over when they're sleeping? It seems the most unsympathetic are those whose children never had a bedwetting problem, and these people actually think it's because of something THEY did! :tongue_smilie:

My kids have only ever spent the night at my mom's, and she blows up an air mattress for them. I stopped buying pull-ps, though I would be perfectly happy with them wearing them at my mom's house. I wake Nathan up when I go to bed, and that usually helps him. I cannot get Ben up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, though. I do check his sheets before I go to bed, though.

Edited by nestof3

I'm thinking about putting them all in the floor. The only place I'd have to do that is in the living room, and when DH gets home he'd have to climb over everyone to get in and wouldn't be able to watch TV :tongue_smilie: I might do it anyhow tho.

This.

I wouldn't single her out and have her be the only floor-sleeper. Put them all on the floor. I would hope your dh would understand?