Menu

The Impromptu Hostess

What do you whip out as a snack to serve guests? Maybe something that freezes and thaws well? I've been quite unprepared several times this past week. :001_huh:

The easiest thing would be cheeses, crackers and maybe some pepperoni. Whenever someone comes over unexpectantly it only takes few minutes to cut the cheeses and pepperoni up. You could have some precut veggies and serve it with dip too.

What ever I have on hand. For kids it is something out of the snack tray that I try to keep full of granola bars, cereal bars, fruit snacks, raisins, crackers, etc.

For adults if I'm snacking during an unexpected visit I'll offer what I'm having. It could be chips, cheese or cereal. I really don't think unexpected guests should expect to be fed.

For a planned visit, if I've got 12 hours or so I'll cut veggies or fruit or bake something. If I have less than 12 hours I generally plan the visit for dinner. It is easier for me to add to dinner than to make what I consider an extra meal.

Edited by Parrothead

I have some jars of jalapeno jelly I made this summer. If I need an appetizer fast then I take a jar of that and spread it over a block of softened cream cheese. Put some crackers out and everyone thinks I'm Martha Stewart. :001_smile: The key is to have cream cheese on hand but since it lasts a while in the fridge that hasn't been a problem yet.

I like to keep a couple packages of pre-made appetizers in my freezer for unexpected guests.

Trader Joe's makes a wonderful selection that go directly from the freezer to the oven and are usually ready in 10 minutes. Unlike cheeses and fruits, they don't go bad in a week or so.

I love hummus and usually have some on hand. I serve that with crackers or cut up sandwich thins. I usually cut up some fruit to go with that.

For children I keep frozen bagels on hand and serve those cut up in fourths, (bite size) with cream cheese. I serve that with cut up fruit, too. Bagels and popcorn are my kids staples.

I have some jars of jalapeno jelly I made this summer. If I need an appetizer fast then I take a jar of that and spread it over a block of softened cream cheese. Put some crackers out and everyone thinks I'm Martha Stewart. :001_smile: The key is to have cream cheese on hand but since it lasts a while in the fridge that hasn't been a problem yet.

I do this as well, but I don't make my own jelly. I keep a sweet onion and pepper relish on hand. Harry and DAvid's make s a great one, but it is expensive. Dickinsons makes one that Costco carries this time of year. I stock and always have it on hand.

http://www.dickinsonsfamily.com/products/relishes/default.asp

There are lots of relishes that would work tho.

Otherwise, cheese, fruit, and crackers is the standard around here.

We always have several kinds around.

I pull out a pretty plate, slice or chunk up 3 kinds of cheese, and put it out with some small size serving pieces that look elegant.

Then on another plate I have two kinds of crackers.

I get a small bowl and fill it with whatever dried fruit or nuts we have around.

These are staples that are always available, so they are reliable in cases like that.

Other things I put out if I have them handy:

Little cherry tomatoes

Baby carrots

Celery spears

Radishes

Jicama spears

Baby turnips (raw. They taste like daikon)

Good bread, slices cut in quarters

Beef rolls if I have made them lately

Chips

Goldfish crackers (adults like these, too!)

I pull out some cocktail napkins that look festive.

If children are present, I give them each a small plate.

I try for fingerfoods in this circumstance, so that no one feels constrained to sitting down at a table.

For an impromptu dinner, I always have either spaghetti sauce or soup in the freezer to pull out. I serve soup with crackers, and spaghetti with freshly shaved parmesan cheese. I usually have salad makings on hand, so a salad or other fresh raw veggie side dish is usually part of the deal.

Make a big batch of good cookies and keep them in a box in the freezer. They take minutes to defrost and put on a plate. Coffee or tea and you're set.

This is a good idea! My little cousins all have fundraisers at the school where they sell cookie dough that's freezable. Only takes about ten minutes to get fresh baked cookies from the freezer to the table. Talk about feeling like mom of the year!