Menu

SOTW 1 book selections

lovinmomma

Alright, so I can only take a certain number of books with me overseas for SOTW 1. So, my thoughts are that I will purchase 1 of the encyclopedias with me and then choose 10 or less other books to take as well. Library is not an option. So, how important do you think the extra history readings are, or should I do mostly literature selections since I will have the encyclopedia? I also have the AG just incase anyone is wondering.

TIA

The Encyclopedia will have most of your non-fiction history books covered. I would pick one or two good picture books or read alouds per civilization. Some really good picture books are 60-120 page read alouds themselves.

I just have to suggest You wouldn't want to Be a Sumerian Slave and Lugalbanda for Mesopotamia. Also Emily Little's The Trojan Horse is wonderful! A good way to get all of your myths in one book is The Illustrated book of Myths, it includes the usual along with African, North American, Chinese, etc.

If you want some more literature, there is an e-book for Ancient Explorations that includes something for nearly every week, mostly adapted from Public Domain short stories, with a few selections from longer books. Half of it is already on lulu, the rest should be there in January. Tanglewoodeducation.com also has selections that are available online (and free if I am not mistaken).

(You may also notice that in TWTM it actually says that you can use the encyclopedia in lieu of a library trip.)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We recently moved overseas in the middle of doing SOTW1, so I feel your pain! I opted not to bring the encyclopedia because of it's weight and we haven't missed it. That said, when we return to the States next year I will bring it back so that we can use it for 3rd and 4th grade. Ok, off my tangent and back to your question.

I would recommend

-Archaelogists Dig for Clues

-Lugalbanda

-Tut's Mummy Lost and Found

-Greek News

-Great Wall of China

-The Usborne Time Traveler (has Eygyptians and Romans, plus medieval Europe and the Vikings for the following year)

I also brought along the Sonlight Core 1 Read-Alouds, some of which tie in nicely to SOTW1 history and a ton of readers, some at her level and lots above it. If you have any questions about homeschooling overseas, I'm around :). Hope that helps!

Since Paige mentioned not using the encyclopedia I thought I would see how you could go about doing that. The Encyclopedia is mostly for pictures, maps and timelines. You can buy notebooking pages online (Ancient Explorations) and print them for similar information. You can also use the Usborne Quicklinks page and get pictures, maps, and websites without actually having the book with you.

lovinmomma, I hope you don't mind me joining in this post with you. I'm bumping this because I would like to know the answer to this as well. We are on an extremely tight budget right now. I don't know if our situation will improve enough over the next few months to let me get all of the books I want for next year. I would like to see what books everyone else considers to be most important to buy. Also on another note, our library is also not an option. It has a poor choice of selections so my option is to buy the books I will need the most for supplement material. I do already have the Usborne IL Encyclopedia though.

Slightly OT: One idea I read recently for traveling with books is to use a kindle!! I don't have one (yet) but I think that'd be awesome for travelling. You could go through the SOTW IG lists and see how many titles are avail on the kindle. . . (I don't know how many elementary titles there are . . . but I think you'd have great luck with classic lit. . .) if there are many, it may be a worthwhile purchase. Happy travels!

My favorites with SOTW 1: (heavily influenced by SL core 1)

Usborne Ancient World (we don't have the big encyclopedia)

Child's History of the World

Victor Journey Through the Bible (great for weaving in more OT history)

Greek Myths for Young Children (K-3) or D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Archaeologists Dig for Clues

Tut's Mummy Lost and Found

The Great Wall of China

Usborne Time Traveler

I had many other books that I had planned to use when I did SOTW 1; Detectives in Togas, some historical biographies, a lovely picture book on Egypt....the reality is that we just didn't use them. We had more than enough to keep us busy. I used CHOW as my spine, and SOTW was extra reading along with the above list. My oldest also went on a mythology kick and read Trojan War (Coolidge) and Children's Homer (Colum). His younger brother didn't...he prefered to pour over the Usborne books. I know some folks find the Usborne books too "busy", but my boys loved them and would pull them out for fun.

We recently moved overseas in the middle of doing SOTW1, so I feel your pain! I opted not to bring the encyclopedia because of it's weight and we haven't missed it. That said, when we return to the States next year I will bring it back so that we can use it for 3rd and 4th grade. Ok, off my tangent and back to your question.

I would recommend

-Archaelogists Dig for Clues

-Lugalbanda

-Tut's Mummy Lost and Found

-Greek News

-Great Wall of China

-The Usborne Time Traveler (has Eygyptians and Romans, plus medieval Europe and the Vikings for the following year)

I also brought along the Sonlight Core 1 Read-Alouds, some of which tie in nicely to SOTW1 history and a ton of readers, some at her level and lots above it. If you have any questions about homeschooling overseas, I'm around :). Hope that helps!

SO, basically, you just read the chapter out of SOTW and then used literature to add in?

Could you elaborate on some of these? I really don't want to bring short picture books...at least not many, because they take up a lot of room and we are done reading them in 1 day.

Prince Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha 143 pages

Lugalbanda: 72 pages

Usborne Famous Lives: Alexander the Great 64 pages. I scheduled this over a couple of weeks.

Usborne: The Story of Rome is about the same.

Rimonah of the Flashing Sword was a longer one, but I can't remember exactly how long.

Black Ships Before Troy

Rosemary Sutcliff

Illustrated by Alan Lee I think this one was about 90 pages.

The Adventures of Odysseus Hugh Lupton-- the only version DD would cooperate with.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We do history five days a week here. We read a section of a chapter each day until we finish (usually 2-3 days a chapter). On the days we read, we do a narration and a map or coloring page or timeline figure. We take a day to do a project if we can find the supplies to do one :). Then on to the next chapter, unless we have a history book that fits in, ie. Tut's Mummy. We'll take a few days off to read the selected book and then move on. My dd has learned so much doing SOTW this way. However I do miss going to the library :)!

As a side note, I don't know where your going, but we live in Asia and I can find simple English readers of all the classics here. I've found good versions of The Aenid, Arabian Nights, Robin Hood, King Arthur and so many more. You'd be surprised what you can find in ESL section of your local bookstore.

Well, I'm not moving, but I'm in the same place you are in researching literature for SOTW 1. I'm focusing on the volumes with lots of stories to purchase:

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myths

1001 Arabian Nights by McCaughrean

The Adventures of Spider: West African folktales

Traditional Irish Fairy Tales

Ancient Egyptians and their neighbors (activity book that covers many of the cultures in SOTW 1)

and a few reference books like The Great Wall and The Great Pyramids book by Elizabeth Mann. HTH!

Well, I'm not moving, but I'm in the same place you are in researching literature for SOTW 1. I'm focusing on the volumes with lots of stories to purchase:

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myths

1001 Arabian Nights by McCaughrean

The Adventures of Spider: West African folktales

Traditional Irish Fairy Tales

Ancient Egyptians and their neighbors (activity book that covers many of the cultures in SOTW 1)

and a few reference books like The Great Wall and The Great Pyramids book by Elizabeth Mann. HTH!

Thank you!