Menu

Please help make my holidays simpler----

by helping me decide what to take to Christmas event.

It's at my mom's house--usually around 25 or so people--prob 10 of those are hungry teens- an all day eating and snacking event. I'll be traveling over 3 hours to get there. Rarely is there an available oven to heat up things at last minute so that also needs to be taken into consideration..

Because of allergies, no pork, bacon, ham. My mom always does the deserts and anyone else bringing desert-type items is highly frowned upon. (silly, I know, but if it helps keep holiday peace......)

Right now I'm planning a fruit salsa and cinnamon pita chips to snack on but I'll need to bring more than that. I have a Sam's warehouse nearby but unfortunately, no Costco or Trader Joes. Absolutely open to buying already prepared items so long as they come recommend as tasty.

Suggestions pretty please?

cheese & crackers/fruit

tortilla roll-ups

small meatballs in a crockpot

veggie tray

Are you looking for any actual meals, or just snack foods?

Parmesan bread sticks

A tray of mini turkey & cheese sandwiches on mini croissants

If you have a microwave at all, even for a minute:

stuffed mushrooms (I have a great recipe)

spinach artichoke dip with mini garlic parmesan toast

Zesty pizza sauce with mini garlic parmesan toast for dipping

Edited by Julie in CA

What about shredded beef in a crockpot and some rolls? Just throw a big hunk of beef in the crockpot on low with some beef broth and a package of onion soup mix, let it cook overnight and shred in the morning.

Or Buffalo Chicken dip in a crockpot?

Cheese dip with taco meat in a crockpot?

Do you have a crockpot :D?

I would LOVE the mushroom recipe. Even if I don't use it at this gathering, I'd love it for my family.

And yes, I do have a crock pot. I hadn't even thought about that. And my kids love meatball subs. Maybe I could get some of the mini-sub rolls. And the beef would be filling (all those teenagers) and easy.

Great ideas, ladies. Keep 'em coming!

Chili , or baked beans (I do not use pork) in a lead-lined crock-pot? ;) Cheese/chicken enchiladas, or a lovely home made mac & cheese with a beautiful crunchy golden topping? A nice risotto or rice dish? My teen boys love that sort of thing. :D We have open house on Christams day and we always make veggie lasagna, hummus w/pita, & a huge salad (no cheese) tossed with seeds & garbanzo beans for the vegans /vegetarians. I also make a huge pot of a nice soup or bisque that can stay on the stovetop.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's filling and easy. It is served a bit chilled--perfect for pulling out of a cooler at the end of a 3 hour ride! I have never met anyone who did not like this. I have met MANY people who LOVE it. The recipe is easily doubled or tripled. Serve with barbeque potato chips (best), Ruffles (v. good), Wheat Thins (also good), or fingers (kidding).

Carol's Clam Dip:

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (note: full fat is best. Do not use nonfat; it doesn't work. Low fat is not too bad.)

1 small can of minced clams, drained, with liquid reserved (You can use chopped clams, but minced are better)

2 1/2 tablespoons of reserved clam juice

2 teaspoons Worchestire sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

3 dashes of white pepper

1/4-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

Mix all ingredients. Chill before serving.

I would LOVE the mushroom recipe. Even if I don't use it at this gathering' date=' I'd love it for my family.

And yes, I do have a crock pot. I hadn't even thought about that. And my kids love meatball subs. Maybe I could get some of the mini-sub rolls. And the beef would be filling (all those teenagers) and easy.

Great ideas, ladies. Keep 'em coming![/quote']

If you want to do a crock pot dish, but worry about it spoiling due to a 3-hour travel time, you can buy an adapter that will go in your vehicle lighter/power outlet so you can plug in the crock pot and keep the food hot.