Menu

Christmas ideas...

Homemama2

We are making "snowmen" out of saved peanut jars (think Mr. Peanut shaped) filled w/packing peanuts. Then just use scraps or stickers or googly eyes and your hot glue gun to decorate. This will make a decoration you can keep.

We have made all kinds of ornaments over the years. An easy type is to use Crayola Model Magic and roll it out like cookie dough. Cut with cookie cutters, use a straw to make a hole for hanging. Let dry a couple of days, then paint or color w/markers or glitter or glue and tie on ribbons. Hang on the tree.

Even easier, you can buy inexpensive wood ornaments sets to paint at craft stores or probably even Walmart.

You can string popcorn or paper chains for the tree.

Google felt ornaments for children and you will come up w/tons of easy ideas for sewing or glueing. I did this in Aug. and my girls won 1st and 2nd place in the State fair contest for felt ornaments, and they were so simple to make.

You can make goodies and deliver them to shut ins from your church or for family members or neighbors for Christmas from your kids.

I just checked out a book from the library, Christmas Gifts for Kids to Make and Christmas Crafts for Kids. I haven't looked at them yet, but I like the Thanksgiving one by the same author and use it every year. It might be worth reserving at your library!

Plus, we just take out as many Christmas picture books as they allow at our library and read a couple every night. HTH!

We're making snowflakes (and may read Snowflake Bentley to go along with it), and for music study we're listening to The Nutcracker and may rent the video of the ballet.

Have you seen the Mike Venezia biographies of famous composers and artists? My son (also 5) and I really like them. He's got one of Tchaikovsky which we read when we studied Russia earlier this year. We got it from the library.

Get some of those plaster and/or balsa wood tree ornaments from Michael's or Joanne's and paint them.

Use sculpty eraser clay to make erasers as gifts for friends (put them on the ends of new pencils before gift wrapping so friends will understand what they are); or use regular sculpty clay and mold them into fun little critters, designing them to fit over the lip of a plant pot, bake and then paint as "pot pals" for Gramma gifts.

Use an old pencil sharpener to sharpen the crayons; sprinkle the crayon shavings between two pieces of waxed paper; iron with a hot iron; then cut to fit into a black construction paper cards as stained glass Christmas cards.

Bake some Christmas goodies and take to a nursing home and sing some Christmas carols with the residents.

Mix poster paint in disposable cups to get different colors and paint a Christmas picture on your front window. (Mix liquid soap into the paint before use, it speeds washing the window after the holidays = http://www.ehow.com/how_5107076_paint-windows-brighten-rooms.html)

Go for a "sleigh ride": at night, as a family, make hot cocoa and popcorn, pack into a thermos and bring cups, get into the car and drive through neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights and displays, enjoying Christmas music and a snack during your holiday "sleigh ride".

Make salt dough (http://www.easy-child-crafts.com/salt-dough-recipes.html) mixed with poster paint and lots of glitter, roll out an inch thick, have the child make a handprint, then cut around it, making a hole near the top for a ribbon and bow when dry, and give as Christmas tree ornaments to the Grammas.