Menu

OT VENT: I'm normally a logical rational person...

but right now I am not. I'm going to blame it on the pregnancy hormones.

On Sunday my Mom called to say Thanksgiving at her house is canceled because my Dad has the flu. No problem. I LOVE to make Thanksgiving dinner. I ran to the store and got everything that I needed and didn't already have.

So tonight, at 10:00 PM I'm baking my pumpkin pie. Yeah, I know it's late. But the kids were in bed, a good time to do this. I was waiting up for my husband to get home from work anyway.

I didn't make the pie sooner because we have a small apartment refrigerator and a family of 5.

I made a homemade crust for the first time. It was going well. I pop open a can of Libby's pumpkin. Throw in the eggs. I go to open the can of Carnation evaporated milk.

The can isn't opening. I'm getting metal shavings on the counter, but the can is NOT OPENING. I turn the can over and try the other end. It's open-ISH but the lid won't come off.

I'm thinking, what a time for my can opener to not work. I open a can of olives just to see if it's the can opener. It opens. The pumpkin can opened.

I tip the milk can to see what the deal is. Some milk trickles out. I run the can opener around the can again. The lid won't come off. This is my only can of evaporated milk. (Who expected it not to open?)

I pry a butter knife under the lid. The lid won't lift, but the milk is coming out more now. So I pour the entire can this way into the bowl.

I check the pumpkin can one last time for baking instructions and discover that I only needed 5 oz of milk, not the whole 12 oz can.

I now have no pumpkin pie for tomorrow. I love pumpkin pie. I really wanted that pie. It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving.

I'm crying like a baby over pie. It's the hormones, I know it. I'm not this ridiculous normally.

I wonder if my husband will be willing to run to the store at midnight when he gets home? I'm sure when he sees me crying he will. But it stinks that I have to ask him too after he just worked all night.

Do you enough ingredients to double the recipe?

Man, that stinks. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Sadly, no. That was a can of Pumpkin Pie Mix leftover from before I built up my spice collection. I have a large can of 100% pure pumpkin, so I'll be alright if I can get another can of evaporated milk.

I know, this is why you shouldn't wait till the last minute to do things. But who expected anything go wrong when you've been making pumpkin pie for 25 years?

Thanks for the hug. I'm going to cry again now. God I hate hormones!

I wonder if my husband will be willing to run to the store at midnight when he gets home? I'm sure when he sees me crying he will. But it stinks that I have to ask him too after he just worked all night.

Seriously, I would mix one more egg into it, and bake it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal at all and it may come out slightly custardier but it should most certainly set and I bet it will be delicious. You could add a sprinkle more of pumpkin pie spices such as cinnamon or cloves and a tablespoon of sugar (but I usually cut down on the sugar in my pie anyway). You may have a little extra filling, so bake the remaining 1/2 cup in a little custard bowl or ramekin.

You have nothing to lose by trying it. :)

Sadly, no. That was a can of Pumpkin Pie Mix leftover from before I built up my spice collection. I have a large can of 100% pure pumpkin, so I'll be alright if I can get another can of evaporated milk.

I know, this is why you shouldn't wait till the last minute to do things. But who expected anything go wrong when you've been making pumpkin pie for 25 years?

Thanks for the hug. I'm going to cry again now. God I hate hormones!

Add in a couple more eggs, a cup of the pure pumpkin, some of the spices, and voila, you now have two pies. Don't fret if you don't have another crust...Add another egg, spray a dish well and make one a crustless, quiche type pie. :grouphug:

So tonight, at 10:00 PM I'm baking my pumpkin pie. Yeah, I know it's late. But the kids were in bed, a good time to do this.

:grouphug: I'm sorry!

If it makes you feel any better, it's 12:30 am here - so far I've only made crust for two pies! I have one more to make before I go to bed (so why am I responding to messages instead of baking? :001_rolleyes:). I've decided I'll just pop the discs in the fridge and roll 'em out and bake 'em tomorrow morning.

Hey, but I'm not hosting, so that's all I've got. You're hosting - why isn't someone else bringing the pie?? I am of the firm opinion that the hostess should only be responsible for turkey, stuffing and gravy. Maybe mashed potatoes and/or an easy vegetable or two, but nothing requiring night-before prep!

Hope you get your pie in the end. :) Pie is good.

Add in a couple more eggs, a cup of the pure pumpkin, some of the spices, and voila, you now have two pies. Don't fret if you don't have another crust...Add another egg, spray a dish well and make one a crustless, quiche type pie. :grouphug:

Oh darn, I wish I would have seen this before I dumped out the mess. Thanks for the information though.

When my husband got home from work at midnight he ran out and got me more evaporated milk. I made the pie in the morning when I got home.

The second can of milk was giving me the same problem, but luckily Mr. Fix It was home and got the can open for me.

Next year I will definitely plan the pie better.

Thanks to everyone for their support and sympathy. I hope everyone is having a good Thanksgiving!

For evaporated milk cans, you need the kind of can opener that punches a triangular hole in the top of the can. You make a full-size hole in one side, and a small hole on the other side. You pour the milk out the big hole, and the other allows air to get in to fill in the space vacated by the milk.

For evaporated milk cans, you need the kind of can opener that punches a triangular hole in the top of the can. You make a full-size hole in one side, and a small hole on the other side. You pour the milk out the big hole, and the other allows air to get in to fill in the space vacated by the milk.

This is exactly right. Sorry you got frustrated. I am glad you got your pumpkin pie in the end.

But I made pie last year and used the same can opener!

I'm adding the other can opener to my shopping list now. Thanks for the information.