Menu

For Americans outside the US - how will you celebrate Thanksgiving?

First, we put up all the decorations my mom has sent over the years! We have LOTS! We will go to the only place in town that I know of that does a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner. They have turkey, corn, potatoes and even pumpkin pie. Ironically, it is a Muslim run restaurant that is most famous as the best place in town to get a steak! They are so warm and welcoming, they really try to make it feel like a home! Of course, here in India we are also remembering the terrible devestating terrorist attacks that occurred last year at this time.

What about you all - how do you find a way to celebrate so far from home?

Not there anymore, but when we lived in Japan we still managed to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal. But when my parents first went there (right after WWII during the American occupation) turkeys were very scarce. They found one farmer with one that they bought from him. But when they were roasting it there was the most horrible fish smell from the oven. Turns out that fish is what the farmer fed the turkey!

In years past, I cooked and helped host a dinner for ex-pats here in Antigua (usually between 50-100), but, this year we limited it to our base so only 20 or so.

Today, we decorated for Christmas because my dh is leaving on Sunday for Belize for 2 1/2 weeks and we wanted him to be a part of decorating. We will go to the base tomorrow to enjoy Turkey with all the trimmings including pumpkin pie made from canned pumpking our director had the foresight to have someone bring in early this fall.

I love Thanksgiving here! But, I really do miss my family, it's been 5 years and I miss the fun of family.

Normally I cook a turkey dinner at home. Husband had to fly to the States on Monday, however, to go to his mother's funeral yesterday, so he'll be doing Thanksgiving with his brother and some of his sister-in-law's family today. The boys and I don't have an emotional attachment to Thanksgiving, so I think we'll just ignore it this year. We might raise a glass to Removal Truck Arrival Day, which was Thanksgiving last year.

We thought that, in the future, we might do an early Christmas dinner at a restaurant and call it Thanksgiving. There aren't any restaurants around here that do a Thanksgiving meal, but many start Christmas meals on December 1st.

Laura

Well, we went out for a Thali meal :001_huh: (ds10 stayed home and had readymade). But hey, it was good! Then some of us had laddu and coconut barfi for dessert.

Later we're going to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, and probably the Christmas one, too, as dd and ds7 are leaving for France next week and won't come back until mid-January.

I hope you're having a fun day over there in Bangalore, Cammie!:)

We hadn't made any Thanksgiving plans for this year, but yesterday I started to feel bad about not celebrating. We're trying to arrange a spur-of-the-moment Thanksgiving bring-and-share open house on Sunday after church. Low pressure... I'll make a big turkey, mashed potatoes and a veg and let anyone who wants to bring something along. I'm not sure if it's all going to work out. It's the first year we've done anything like this. Some years it's been just a dinner for our family, last year we went to the house of an American friend here, other years we've celebrated with a few British families.

We normally have a full Thanksgiving meal, but not this year. There's only 3 of us. Dad is in Iraq and one daughter is in Kuwait. So, were going to our favorite German place for a late lunch. I did make a sweet potato pie for dessert tonight and we always start watching Christmas movies on Thanksgiving night.:001_smile:

Well, we went out for a Thali meal :001_huh: (ds10 stayed home and had readymade). But hey, it was good! Then some of us had laddu and coconut barfi for dessert.

Later we're going to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, and probably the Christmas one, too, as dd and ds7 are leaving for France next week and won't come back until mid-January.

I hope you're having a fun day over there in Bangalore, Cammie!:)

Wow, you are one jet setting family!! Hope everyone, especially ds is doing well this Thanksgiving!!

My kids, just this morning, discovered that it is American Thanksgiving today, so they talked me into cooking some chicken and mashed potatoes and GRAVY tonight. It's hard for me to get into, after being an ex-pat for so many years. I get tired looking at all those threads about the huge meals people are making. I really miss having Thanksgiving with my relatives. But I'll do this for my kids, since they are dual citizens, too. Maybe I'll even make an apple crisp with whipped cream...:D

Yeah, I hear you about the heat, Heather. Wait 'til you sweat through Christmas . . .

Cammie, thanks for thinking of ds10. He was actually really happy with the readymade. He will miss ds7 and dd . . . but they need some French practice and would like to escape the heat a little (and the mosquitoes).

I hope you're having a great visit with your family!:)