Menu

Can I peel apples tonight to bake in a pie tomorrow?

The 7yo wants to bake an apple pie (don't know what's wrong with him, we have an incredible bakery just around the corner!). Which mean I have to peel the apples and he'll cut them up with the corer/slicer thing. Can I peel them tonight so we can mix/bake it tomorrow morning? Can I keep them from browning? Do I cover them in water? Does it need lemon juice? Or do I just have to get up early tomorrow and do it?

I have no idea if my reasoning is correct but my theory would be: the apples will be brown after you bake the pie anyway.

Lemon juice helps, but I wouldn't say it prevents browning. And I think that's more for when you want the apples to "look" fresh cut. :)

So I say you can. But I should also confess that I'll cut and bake mine tonight. :)

My mother used to put slices of apple in a big bowl of salted water to stop them browning. I can't remember how well it worked though.

This has worked well for me - just don't put salt in the pie mixture then. Also, as another pp suggested, lemon juice works nicely, too. You know what? Why don't you just mix all the filling ingredients tonight (and include some salt and lemon juice and whatever sweetener you use) and let it macerate in the fridge over night? I'll bet it will be fine.

The 7yo wants to bake an apple pie (don't know what's wrong with him, we have an incredible bakery just around the corner!). Which mean I have to peel the apples and he'll cut them up with the corer/slicer thing. Can I peel them tonight so we can mix/bake it tomorrow morning? Can I keep them from browning? Do I cover them in water? Does it need lemon juice? Or do I just have to get up early tomorrow and do it?

Where is it? I spent 20 years on LI and you are right, there are some great bakeries. [sigh]

I always put the sliced apples in a bowl or ziploc bag with lemon juice.. it prevents major browning..though the apples are slightly browned. I always do this as a two step project..storing the apples while I prepare the crust..I usually put the apples in lemon juice, then add the seasonings (sugar, cinnamon)... and let it sit in the bowl until I'm ready in the fridge.. cover it with wrap...