Menu

What to do with leftover Turkey? Recipe??

BMW

Turkey Picadillo Burritos

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion

2 cloves minced garlic

1 tbs. oil

2 cups shredded cooked turkey

1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes w/juice

1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped

1/2 cup picante sauce

2 tbsp. raisins

2 tbsp. chopped, toasted, slivered almonds

1 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. salt

dash cinnamon

12 flour tortillas

Cook onion and garlic in oil in skillet until onion is tender but not brown. Add remaining ingredients, except tortillas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Spoon 1/3 cup filling down center of each tortilla; roll up. Serves 6

We had such a big turkey last year that we made this for dinner twice!

I do a turkey enchilada bake as well. Finely chop the cooked turkey, mix with a large brick of cream cheese (I use the light), a small drained can of chopped green chiles, sometimes thawed chopped spinach which has been squeezed dry, a bit of cumin and a some canned enchilada sauce or salsa verde. In a 13x9 pan, I spread a bit of the sauce, lay two large flour tortillas to cover, spread the turkey mixture in, top with another two tortillas, pour over the remaining sauce (I usually use two cans or jars), then sprinkle with shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or Mexican blend, usually). I bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it looks done :001_smile:. Everything is cooked already, it just needs to heat through.

We're actually having this for dinner tomorrow. We eat Thanksgiving dinner at my inlaws and my parents (yes, usually two, but my parents don't do turkey), but we like turkey a lot. I usually buy at least two really big ones when they are cheap, roast them, freeze the meat and make stock from the bones (freeze them in ice cube trays then put in bags in the freezer). This year we have a 15 lb one and a 23 lb one (there are three of us, so this lasts a long time). We've cooked the smaller one and have the larger one thawing to cook on Friday.

Another idea is turkey salad--really good made with chopped apples, curry powder, mayonnaise, garam masala, celery. If you don't use the apples, chopped hard boiled egg is good in it.

Turkey Pot Pie (instead of chicken pot pie).

We have hearty eaters here, there won't be much left over.

2 cups of shredded or sliced turkey

2 cups of chicken broth

2 cups of mushrooms, sliced

2 cups of frozen peas

1 cup of onions, diced

Sage

Rosemary

Thyme, Salt & Pepper

Egg wash (I usually use one egg and a little whipping cream or milk)

Bake your favorite pie crust (double crust recipe - has to be enough to layer your casserole dish and have a lid) and press it into an oven proof casserole or Dutch Oven (or something with high sides).

Set aside enough dough for the "lid".

Sautee onions and mushrooms until glassy.

Add peas to heat through and the turkey as well as the seasoning. Simmer for about 15 minutes on stovetop, then pour into the (unbaked) crust in the

Dutch Oven/Casserole dish, roll out remaining dough until you have shaped the right size for a lid. Paste on the egg wash and bake at F400 for 15 minutes, then lower

temp to F350 and bake for another 30 minutes.

Edited by Liz CA

Turkey Divan is our favorite thing to make with the leftover turkey!! We do it every year! My kids LOVE it.

Turkey Divan Recipe

1 package frozen broccoli spears

1 Tablespoon butter

cooked, sliced turkey

2 Tablespoons milk

2 Tablespoons cooking sherry

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/4 cup of mayonnaise

1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup

salt / pepper to taste

parmesan cheese / paprika to taste

Partially cook the broccoli. Slice turkey, allowing 2-3 slices per serving. Melt butter in a saute pan and place in shallow casserole. Place a layer of turkey in the bottom of buttered casserole. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange broccoli on top and cover with another layer of turkey. Place remaining ingredients, except for the parmesan cheese, in a bowl and whisk thoroughly until blended. Pour over turkey. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with paprika. (Recipe can be doubled; if doubled, increase cooking time to 1 hour).

Enjoy! :)

Turketti (like chicken spaghetti)

1 1/4 c. raw spaghetti broken into smaller pieces

1 1/2 c. cooked turkey, chopped

1/4 c. diced canned pimiento

1/4 green pepper

1 small onion

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 c. turkey broth or water

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1 3/4 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti, mix everything together and put in casserole. Bake at 350 until heated through and cheese is bubbly. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste and what you have on hand. I like to add more cheese on top too.