Menu

Really disappointed in Singaporemath.com's shipping

jeri

I have bought so much from this site! But today I went to order 5 books (math and science) which totalled just over $50, and the shipping came to more than $17! I emailed them to ask if this was priority, since I could take a delay and would be happy with book rate. The short email reply was that this price was in keeping with the USPS pricing.

Next I went to RR. I ordered the exact same books (I had no idea that RR had a lot more than just SM math books!), + a couple of more unrelated books. Not only did I save a dollar or two on their lower cost of SM books, but they quoted me $8.80 for book, and $13 for priority. Needless to say, I went with RR.

I think what really bugged me was the SM was really uninterested in my concerns about shipping costs. There was not even a discussion here, just a statement that said, "this is how it is."

Jeri

I think what really bugged me was the SM was really uninterested in my concerns about shipping costs. There was not even a discussion here, just a statement that said, "this is how it is."Jeri

:iagree:

That's why I haven't bought from SM for years and years and years. RR on the other hand is always interested and oh my, I LOVE talking with their CS folks. Caring, wonderful ladies.

:iagree:

That's why I haven't bought from SM for years and years and years. RR on the other hand is always interested and oh my, I LOVE talking with their CS folks. Caring, wonderful ladies.

:iagree: They (Singaporemath.com) really seemed disinterested in customer service to me, so I will not use them. And yes, their shipping was too high.

Distance does have something to do with shipping cost. Rural delivery is also expensive via UPS. I (literally) just ordered $79 worth of books and my shipping was only $8.70, but I am out west and Singaporemath is in Washington or Oregon I think. 2nd day for me would have been $19 but I always get the books within a week anyway.

I am overseas but with a US address (dh is a DoD employee stationed in Germany). So, we can't use UPS. So that explains something!

But I still don't understand how they justify the high US mail prices! Yesterday I shipped 5 books (probably abour the same size as what I'm buying from RR) back to the States and it was lesss than $10 priority.

Anywayy, I was happy to find out how *much* SM RR carries now, including science! It used to be fairly minimal!

jeri

I am overseas but with a US address (dh is a DoD employee stationed in Germany). So, we can't use UPS. So that explains something!

But I still don't understand how they justify the high US mail prices! Yesterday I shipped 5 books (probably abour the same size as what I'm buying from RR) back to the States and it was lesss than $10 priority.

Anywayy, I was happy to find out how *much* SM RR carries now, including science! It used to be fairly minimal!

jeri

I think that some companies justify jacking up their USPS rates for DoD customers overseas because they have to fill out a customs form.

Many times it is actually cheaper to find places that do free UPS shipping and utilize a service like APO box dot com, who will then ship USPS priority to a DoD address for a flat $15, regardless of the price of the goods (Zero - 40lbs, 0-108"). You can even buy insurance for a small fee.

I realize this doesn't work for many of the smaller companies, but then again, the *smallest* companies usually don't mind the customs form!

HTH

a

Edited by asta

jeri

That's where I purchase my SM books.

I just had Singaporemath.com calculate a $43 order and the shipping to my address was 46% more than from RR for the same dollar amt, both by UPS ground. The one time I ordered from them delivery took much longer than RR, so I guess for my location, it's not the best option.

Shipping policies to APO/FPO addresses has changed where I will buy books from. I haven't bought from CBD for years because I decided the shipping based on % of the order total really worked against me when I was buying stuff like Latin curriculum.

This year, I got many of my books for Sonlight from Amazon, which ship for free and is very fast to my FPO. Sonlight doesn't extend their free shipping rates to FPOs. It may just be that they get a great bulk discount rate from UPS. But it didn't make sense for me to pay for the shipping when Amazon is so easy.

What I've found, however, is that the company loyalties or dissatisfaction linger even when we're not at an FPO. I didn't order from CBD at all in the couple of years when we did have a regular US address.