Menu

Anyone have a teen with bulimea?

I was anorexic/bulimic in early college when I was 17. I still fight urges. It was started for one reason and continued for another and now that I am not anymore I get the urges for yet another reason.

I highly recommend a support group for her and counseling. Pushing medication and a psycho annalist /therapist type thing on her could really backfire. If it's new then there is probably something that sparked it and it could be dealt with very quickly. Help her understand it. Check her internet usage for any pro-anna sites she may be accessing. Access her friendship and become an allie to her- depending on her trigger and her reasoning it's going to be very easy to push her father away and further into this if not careful.

I'll pray for her.

I was bulimic when I was younger and still have urges today. There are many reasons why someone becomes bulimic. For some it is a weight issue but for others is much more complicated. The only suggestion I have is to give her oodles of love and support which I am sure you are already doing. Also to keep reading and finding ways to help and build your relationship so she can talk if she is willing. Don't give up, it's a hard struggle but keep fighting for her. I am praying for you.:grouphug:

Yes, please recognize that EDs are not about food. By and large (as anyone here could tell you) they are about control. Not in the manner society tends to view it, either - control in the sense that the person feels that some aspect of their life is out of their control, but what goes in/out of their body IS something they can control.

As everyone says, therapy is the first line treatment. Docs are also finding great success with Topamax, of all things. It works very well for compulsions of all types (smoking, drinking, bingeing, etc.).

a

My SIL dealt with both anorexia and bulimia. She finally landed at a residential treatment program for about 8-10 weeks and after that several years of therapy.

From what I understand she is doing fine now. And from appearances she looks to be at a healthy weight (she used to be a size zero, maybe smaller).